Baillie Gifford [discussion] 📃

I take it you’ve just finished The China Hustle? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s the beauty of using a fund opposed to picking individual stocks in regions that aren’t typically known for being transparent.

The actively managed funds will be speaking directly to higher managment prior to investing into the fund, wether it be BGCG or Fidelity etc.

I’ve seen many documentaries and read many articles.

It’s not an issue of individual companies not being transparent but rather Chinese government having the ultimate power over the market. We cannot forget China is still communist country. I wish I could diversify into China but I cannot trust them with my money at this point. Look what happened to Jack Ma, he got too successful for China’s liking and nobody has seen him for couple of months now.

You’re completely right to be concerned on the political side of the Chinese economy.

Ma publicly criticised the CCP, which stopped Ants IPO in turn. Jack Ma is not actually missing either, he was just lying low. Albeit it’s not right that a successful person has made a speech contrary to the CCPs views and thought it sensible to go into hiding.

What I do know is everyone wants to trade with China and there is a power shift going on right now. Therefore I think it’s sensible to have some exposure to China.

That being said, I wouldn’t be putting all my eggs in that basket either.

4 Likes

China has so much growth that I would argue EVERY portfolio should have exposure to it, now I would suggest simply a solid ETF or fund would sort you out. Riskier plays to do individual companies, but high reward too.

3 Likes

The BG China Growth Trust still trades at a premium of 8.1%…
https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/individual-investors/funds/baillie-gifford-china-growth-trust/
If it comes down to less than 3% please let me know :slight_smile:.

I bought at the last dip at 490, and now I’m at the NAV value. I think the premium is (now) growing in parallel with the NAV. At one point (I think soon) your average will be near the NAV and growing. Maybe I’m wrong, but by following the last few months, I’m positive. I’m also investing monthly (long-term) so in the long run will (hopefully) go up … :wink:

2 Likes

Experts call it a “phone”.

3 Likes

I prefer hand held communication device :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Yeah it looks like (from using HL comparison chart to NAV) that around the 17th/18th December would be the optimum price to NAV time to get in which was about 462p or something, so I think getting in at 490p you have done well. I have stayed out of BGCG so far, but have had good returns from other China ETF/funds so cant complain. 2021 China bull fund/ETF bull run? :smiley: :rocket:

1 Like

As from what I’m reading … more like the whole decade. But, who knows! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Tom Slater > Liam Gallagher.

Rock n roll.

4 Likes

Well it will be interesting to see an S&S 500 index vs BG China Fund/BGCG in 2030.

2 Likes

Hi, do look into the fees etc. It all depends on how much you’re investing. You say “not much” so do be mindful!

I transferred my ISA from HL to t212 because buying shares (like INRG, SMT) cost so much per trade that it was so painful.

HL do have a monthly savings system which brings down the share dealing charge to £1.50 for the trade which is pretty low. You do need to select what shares you want to buy 10 days before the monthly due date - beginning of the month. It works if you’re just wanting to slowly build up a pot. And if a share isn’t available on their monthly savings system you can request to add it and they’re generally pretty good with it.

RVP’s technique is a good one, so that’s always an option for you.

Good luck!

ps. I wrote a lengthy response to a previous comment but realise you got all the necessary info already! hehe

Note for diaries…
Keystone publishes its circular about its proposed change to BG’s Positive Change strategy
‘‘It is therefore expected that, subject to these conditions being met, Baillie Gifford’s appointment will take effect from 11.59 p.m. on 10 February 2021’’

https://www.investegate.co.uk/keystone-investment-trust-plc/kit/publication-of-circular/20210121123507PDBF0/

4 Likes
2 Likes

New EWI video:

Douglas Brodie, investment manager of the Edinburgh Worldwide Investment Trust, reflects on the past year, gives some insight into the current positioning of the portfolio and sheds some light on what could be some exciting opportunities in the future.

Screenshot 2021-01-22 at 17.36.58

5 Likes

Holy moly they issued around 900k in shares in BGCG last week.

The NAV is still at around an 8% premium

Here’s hoping similar happens with KIT over time!