Baillie Gifford [discussion] 📃

Ah no worries. SMT still has lots of exposure to private companies

Well, just remember there is always someone worse off. :joy: INRG was one of my best performers before and it’s been sent to the slaughter house this month

It’s a fair question and might be at the brokers discretion.

I’ll maybe try and add to the daily IPO post and see what David says to adding it. At least we’ll get an answer.

On SMT…

Top 10 Holdings (with gain/loss in past two-three weeks);

Tencent (down 10%)
Illumina (down 7.5%)
Amazon (down 5% in past 3 weeks)
Tesla (down 18% in past 3 weeks)
NIO (down 17%)
Alibaba (down 6%)
Meituan Dianping (down 14%)
ASML (down 5.5%)
Moderna (down 12%)
Delivery Hero (down 20%)

Just to set some context around what we’re seeing.

4 Likes

The real question is … when the bleeding will end. :wink:

it’s a bloodbath this week.
exactly same this week last year… crazy

If you take the NASDAQ as an example it has tested the 50 day a few times over the last 6 months so it’ll be interesting to see how it reacts to that as it’s pretty close to testing it.

2 Likes

I sold out of all Baillie Gifford funds mid last week, somehow extremely well timed

1 Like

it’ll smash through that 50dma today

Interesting … what was your main reason? :relaxed:

I’d read that Feb was historically a horrid month.

As far as the S&P goes, looks like it might bounce between 3861 and 3830. If the

The question is how long that takes. Looks like potentially another 2-4 days.

That’s if it sticks to the current trending channels.

4 Likes

Just in general losing conviction in the US market, especially when Tesla started slipping, decided id prefer to sit on cash for the time being, sheer luck that I decided to pull the trigger last week rather than this week

I’m not good that good with charts yet but are you saying you think this bleeding will continue for 2-4 days? Such a big drop already haha. Luckily I am looking long-term.

I suppose you’re from UK and with an ISA account? That’s really great way to swing trade. If I’d sell I’d have to pay the tax for capital gains. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been doing this since April so take my words with a pinch of salt. But looks like there are three things going on in that chart for me;

1. The horizontal red line is the nearest support line, with the dark red horizontal above it the last resistance, so it could consolidate between these for a while, but the price hasn’t reached the support yet, and may even dip below it slightly. That to me looks like happening today, unless volume is low in general and the price does nothing.

2. The blue line, the SMA has acted like a good support all the way up, with the exception of the V-shaped dip/recovery a week or so back there. This so happens to look like it’ll hit around the same point as number 1 above, so that’s doubly supported. My fingers are crossed for a bounce here around 3,860-ish.

3. The red diagonal lines are the uptrend chanel the price is potentially bouncing in currently. I actually think this channel is narrower and also aligns with 1 and 2, as the only time it has hit the bottom was on the same V dip the other week.

Of course all of this is subject to news. Biden has an address tomorrow so that may make things better or worse, depending on what he covers (renewables, stimulus, Bonds, etc.) plus you have market influencers such as Tesla on the slide just now. The above is just what the chart is doing, but dips like the big V are anomalies that tend to come about due to external news influences.

1 Like

Yes aha, if I was in an invest account I would be as upset as everyone else right now

2 Likes

I also sold my last remaining holding in SMT a few weeks back. Luck as much as anything, but I wanted to take some profits off the table. It’s hard to put my finger on precisely why but SMT’s unquoted allocation has always made me a little uneasy, even though as a closed-ended trust it shouldn’t have Woodford-like redemption problems.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what does this mean?

I sold the USA few weeks back as well for these reasons. Kept SMT, and I’ll keep holding now

I still have full faith in my three favourite BG funds (smt, bgcg, phi) but I just couldn’t justify not taking profit and then a couple of things started making me uneasy: gme, tsla btc, cciv… figured I’d prefer to sit on cash for a few days/weeks

Now I have the problem of trying to buy back in without getting burnt

2 Likes

Thank god they reduced the Tesla weighting as well!

I’ll be interested to see ARK today.