Baillie Gifford [discussion] 📃

What’s your thoughts on BGCG guys? I know it’s having a wobble and I was thinking off adding more but the premium is still so high

I’m a little concerned that the premium to NAVs on BGCG & PHI could cause them to drop even harder so sold out last week and am concentrating on improving my core BG holdings (EWI, KPC, SMT) during the downtime.

It may pay off or it may bite me in the ass, who knows!

1 Like

That’s a fair point. I’m terrible at timing the market to be honest so I’ll probs just leave it for a long period of time.

1 Like

All my BG funds/trust are in my SIPP and I’m most robotic on that, regular investment like clockwork, don’t even have to look.

1 Like

Next year will be year of the SIPP for me.

I’ll most likely just index it though in fairness. Do you use HL?

Interactive Investor. Flat fee and I keep my kids JISAs theer too. Will likely open my 21/22 ISA with them too to spread the liability.

1 Like

Good shout on this :ok_hand:. I use up some of my ISA allowance right now for my little girl

Never too early, mate. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Question, any info on both BG China fund and BGCG and how much of those are China A-shares, for example FCSS is about 15% A-shares, just trying to work out as I also hold a dedicated China A-share ETF (HMCA) but wanting to work out any BG holdings and their A-share exposure.

1 Like

SMT down 25% from its high… I’m absolutely battered. Will SMT reign again?

averaging mine down a little so that its prepared for when it starts to raise once more :wink:

1 Like

I’ve attempted to catch the falling knife 3 times and been burnt all 3 times

Sitting on cash for a few days before trying again

If you are investing in SMT I am assuming its long term? If so these changes should affect your long term outlook unless the original reasoning for going long on SMT has changed. Most of the market down right now, the ones that are up are not things SMT or the funds people have loved recently such as oil, banks etc.

Only thing is whether like the ARK funds is if it has issues with massive rush on withdrawals etc as SMT I am guessing has has massive inflows last year or so. But I dont own SMT or know it enough to comment on this.

I think there’s always going to be a risk with these kind of thematic funds that catch the tail winds of the moment. Often the tide has turned, or it’s just a temporary dip.

We’ll just have to wait and see :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Yep, I was never sure on what SMT would be in portfolio as it had some Chinese, but also some US like Tesla etc so couldnt see how it fits. Instead I opted for China centric etfs and then individual US stocks.

What does SMT represent in all of your portfolios? Is it basically a growth play rather than a geographical play? or a new technology play?

haha more less exactly what I did. Will have to wait to payday at the end of the month now haha

Personally, I prefer the monks investment trust as it’s a lot of more diversified and follows a conservative approach to growth.

I think SMT is good if your planning to hold for a minimum of 3 years, but ideally 5 years+ - I’m worried that it’s heavily invested in tech companies that are over valued such as TSLA.

Interested to know your thoughts :wink:

SMT under 10 pounds now at 988 at the time of writing. I didn’t think we’d see it under 10 again but here we are.

1 Like

I’m wondering how low it’ll get to before stabilising and starting to tick back up

Well I dont know their holdings well but I remember some amount of China exposure, which has taking a beating recently, and further today. If bullish on SMT long term this is a buying opportunity I would say these kind of falls. I am not and have never owned SMT.