Baillie Gifford [discussion] 📃

Its quite worrying how badly some articles are written and key facts not checked.

Only two of its funds, the Keystone Investment Trust and Baillie Gifford UK Equity fund were loss making in 2020, with the former down 0.82% and the latter sliding 4.1%.

Keystone Investment Trust - now Keystone Positive Change, was not managed by BG in 2020.

Hi there,

I’m a big fan of BG and I’m bullish on China so naturally keen on BG China trust (and have some money invested in them. QUESTION: are any of you worried about the movements in China? e.g. additional regulation on tech giants like Alibaba, Tencent Pinduoduo etc.?

I was listening to The Economist’s ‘Moneytalks’ podcast today and they were talking about this (additional regulation on the tech giants). I tend to brush aside the scaremongers who pour fear on anyone wanting to invest in China but listening to this earlier today it made me think… Do any of you have thoughts on this?

Thanks!

ps. I am also exposed to China market via KESG (Kraneshares ESG etf)

I’m not particularly worried about the tech enquires going on tbh it isn’t just China that is looking into big tech monopoly, my biggest concern is political while like you I’m bullish on China I do think the likes of SEC looking into delisting Chinese companies and tension between China and the west will have a bigger impact. I sold my shares in baba recently and switched them to amazon just before the tech sell off not because I became bearish on baba the opposite in fact however my lack of understanding in cultural and government differences played the biggest part and while I’m happy to hold a good etf I would have limits on the % of my portfolio and ATM at least stay away from individual stock

2 Likes

I’m not especially concerned because I take a long-term view and expect a lot of short-term volatility. That said, I do limit exposure to China – between SMT, VFEG and BCGC, I’m hovering around the 10-15% mark off the top of my head.

Also the fund manager of SMT leaves next year

Nice catch-up interview on the SMT vision.

I have to point out though, that while using the EUR account and now with the new FX + stamp duty, I think twice before pulling the trigger. :sweat_smile:

Really happy that the Baillie ‘Schiehallion’ fund is now on 212. I’ve got an order pending right now and liquidity seems low, but I’m hoping this gem of a fund well perform very well over the next several years.

1 Like

The ongoing charges are quite high 0.77%. Is the funds’ performance that good?

Too early to tell. But I am comfortable with those charges, for this fund. It’s a small allocation in portfolio

This is probably a bit of a dumb question but would you have any idea why T212 are issuing C shares and not the ordinary shares? Is it just that there’s no point them issuing ordinary shares since we wouldn’t get any voting rights etc. anyway?

I hold some ordinary shares through another broker. Managed to buy without too much delay. I’m not sure how the C shares compare but they’re cheaper ($1.29 compared to $1.80). The fund doesn’t get valued very often since they’ve been the same price for the last few months.

Long term hold for me though…
Edit to add KID:
Ordinary shares
C shares

1 Like

Thanks for the info. interesting and not sure?
My market order hasn’t even been filled yet, so it may not even matter lol :slight_smile:

I’m interested in this one. Caught in two minds though: the ongoing charge, spread, premium, lack of liquidity and FX fee are all putting me off, but I’m still tempted to make room for a small allocation. :thinking:

It’s priced quarterly, hence the stagnant price movements.

1 Like

mine filled a little while back … $1.21

For myself the opportunity to get in early to companies like Affirm, Spacex and Stripe is too good to miss. I probably wouldn’t touch those at IPO so I view this option as giving me my best balance of risk/reward.

1 Like

You also got all those companies in SMT … :wink:

3 Likes

Yup - very true. They’re (I think) less than 1 % weighting there though and over 5 % in Schiehallion.

1 Like

That’s a pretty good price considering the main line trades around a 29% premium!

1 Like

That’s very true. If I remember rightly, MNKS has a small holding in MNTN as well so I have a fair exposure to many of the underlying companies already.

Yes … but. Someone correct me if I’m thinking the wrong way:
The weighting in market cap of 1 % (in SMT) is a lot higher than 5 % (in MNTN).

SMT

MNTN