Did you buy the dip? (buying the dip)

4 Likes

I am sure you will get a chance at lower than current for BP, but be careful if its something you want long term of trying to time the market for the sake of 10%. Do you keep an eye on their results? Keep an eye on debt as once that hits <35bn later this year/early 2022 they can/will start turning on the buybacks, so also keep an eye on oil prices as buy back level is dependant on that.

Yesterday…

4 Likes

Gotta say sequels dont even come close to original first movie in terms of story and characters but the visual effects of the third matrix movie are still better than some modern big budget movies xD

Agreed. All three movies were so far ahead of their time. It’s just a pity the continuation of the story didn’t have the same impact as the original.

Be interesting to see what the new one will be like this year. With every other action film and its uncle using ‘bullet time’ these days, will they come up with anything new?

1 Like

To continue that thought, when back down below will we as investors remember the sun is up there and invest whilst stocks are low in solid companies. Some will some will not, those former will do well.

1 Like

The first one was immense! I remember bunking school for the second one, they were simpler times :joy:

I’m looking forward to the new one coming out though.

1 Like

Tesla is up 7% pre-market right now. get ready to buy the next dip at market open :rofl:

2 Likes

I think a barbell approach will be a better approach to the market going forward.

1 Like

Yes, I do buy the dip during this market correction. I consolidate my position and sell the stock which is still making profit (but down due to this market correction). Take the money to the stock where I have bigger conviction.
Peter Lynch Speech : I love volatility.

1 Like

This seems like a sensible method. I actually did this earlier this week. I sold my profitable position in BP and used the cash to buy more SMT.

Just to play devil’s advocate however, would it not be better to try sell profitable positions before the dip in order to feed your most hit positions during the dip. I know there is an element of timing the market here however.

1 Like

As you say markt timing is the issue, its best not to try and do time things, or at least not time things perfectly. However if you have a stock that has a big run up there is an argument to take some profit, equally some say never sell your winners so just up to peoples opinions.
The key thing for corrections/dips is to make sure a stock you want to buy on discount is down because of stuff not associated with the business, or at least in your assessment. So recent downturn caused lots of stocks to sell off but many were no weaker/stronger business wise, but some were. You would want to buy the former not the latter.

To use your BP for SMT example, I would say by selling BP do you still have exposure to energy/oil? Or have you decided you don’t want that exposure? As SMT is a whole different holding to that. And how much of your portfolio is SMT? and how much is stocks similar to SMT? (growth & speculative growth). I am merely posing thoughts not questioning your choice as I am sure SMT will do well.

2 Likes

No these are good questions. I don’t have any exposure to oil at the moment but my holding BP wasn’t meant to be exposure to oil, rather I felt they were best placed to pivot into the green economy and green energy solutions out of all the large oil and gas companies. As for SMT, there is largely an element of letting the experts do the work for me as I trust the judgement of the fund managers and their team to do better DD than myself. Therefore SMT and another three Baillie Gifford funds make up over 50% of my portfolio.

Yes this is really down to a person’s own exit strategy. Generally speaking I am in the “buy and hold” camp and don’t plan to cash out until at least a certain age. That being said, I do reserve some cash for speculative plays and my rule here is when I’m up 100%, sell. Others of course have their own exit strategies.

3 Likes

Ah fair enough, all I meant was BP short term is based on oil, longer term more renewables, so if you were bullish on it for renewables but you sold it after oil rally I was just curious. But sounds like because it rallied (regardless of reason) you felt now there were better places to put those funds which is fair enough an a valid strategy.

1 Like

Very thoughtful Q&S, I would add that sometimes for me it’s just due diligence to take some profits off the table, and reposition your portfolio, where you put it is the big Q.

1 Like

Absolutely. Really I felt the money was better placed in the SMT dip. I will however rebuy into BP in time.

@StockPicker nobody ever lost money taking profit!

1 Like

I thought the whole point of taking profit was to avoid losing money :rofl:

been getting some SMT dip purchases in to get my average price down a little :slight_smile: looking forward to seeing how the growth for the rest of the year goes now.

1 Like

Interesting article on funds that have meteoric rises.

2 Likes

Short answer for fund investing:

20+ years funds win
<5 years funds may lose

1 Like

What is that in comparison to, ETFs?

1 Like