Minimum amount to invest in pie

Hi

I have pie of 21 stocks. The minimum amount of cash that I can invest in pie is 50 PLN.

When I added another stock to pie (PEPSI), the minimum amount required to invest doubles. Now it’s 100 PLN.

Is this suppose work like that or it’s some kind of bug?

as you have more slices, you need to split your deposit up more. However, in order for the pie to autoinvest on your behalf you need to have a minimum amount of funds according to the smallest slice in your pie.

I will use ÂŁGBP as that is my currency, but the minimum deposit for a slice is 20p. so if your slice is 0.5% that would mean your Pie must invest in that slice at least 20p

0.5% = 20p
1% = 40p
100% = ÂŁ40

so if I convert the currency

0.5% = 1PLN
1% = 2PLN
100% = 200PLN

that is the highest your minimum deposit will become.

so you need to look at what percentage your smallest slice is, treat that as 1PLN and multiply until you know what 100% is and you will find out the minimum deposit for your current configuration. As you change your pie allocation your minimum will change accordingly.

2 Likes

Thanks for explanation. I figure it out now.

1 Like

Is that really how it works? Is the minimum investment per slice in a pie 0.2GBP/EUR a default?

I’ve ~10 pies and I invest weekly, half need 40€ and others 10-20€, would be nicer if I can control exactly how much I want to put in each.

1 Like

yes, its always based on the slices in the pie. 0.5% is the smallest a slice can be and it was mentioned that 20p was the smallest amount that a pie can handle. so whatever your smallest slice is would be determining the minimum amount you need to deposit to trigger autoinvesting. the best way to reduce the minimum is to just increase the size of your smallest slice, alternatively move that smallest slice into its own pie with a few other really small ones so they all have a larger portion.

this will apply for both deposits into the pie and dividend reinvesting inside the pie. once the amount is passed all funds in the pie are then used at once.

2 Likes

That was really helpful @Dao, have a good day ahead!

1 Like

As this question started to appear quite frequently, we decided to show the min investment value of each pie in the app and add an explanation of how it is calculated. Expect it by the end of the year.

7 Likes

Brilliant addition :smiley:

Hi all,

Today I went to invest in my pie, the minimum amount used to be £20 but now its suddenly jumped to £100 as a minimum. Using the information above I calculated the amount invested according to my allocation and the smallest slice follows the rule that @Dao mentioned i.e. 20p. Could someone please explain why I am facing this issue please, im sure it’s an issue on my side but just want to understand. Please see screenshots below.

1 Like

As discussed in previous posts, the minimum investment amount is now ÂŁ1. So your investment #25 needs a total investment of ÂŁ100 so that 1% reaches ÂŁ1.

If I were you I would make two pies: one of the larger weighted investments and one of the smaller weighted investments and then invest in the second pie less frequently.

1 Like

Oh that’s a real shame… any reason why this was changed? It seems that this kind of destroys the usability of pies and prices a lot of users out of the feature. Especially the more advanced users that diversify and have a carefully curated portfolio, especially those following the teaches of Ray Dalio so diversification across asset classes/currencies/industries and geographies will have to dumb their portfolio down if they want to use pies. I was previously depositing £20 a week and now I’ll have to wait 5 weeks to make a deposit which affects my weekly dollar cost averaging strategy.

3 Likes

You can still DCA. Just make more pies, and with each containing a subset of your stocks. Invest ÂŁ20 in one pie each week, rotating through the pies with appropriate frequency. This will give you plenty of dollar cost averaging.

But in fact it would not make much difference if you simply invest ÂŁ100 ever five weeks. Dollar cost averaging does not need investment so frequently as weekly.

2 Likes

This change just made my investing strategy impossible. I invest around 50€ a month, and I invested them on my ARKK pie. The minimum deposit was 40€, now it’s 200€. Can someone explain the reasen behind this change? I don’t know what to do now…

You could create several pies which together cover the ARK stocks, but where in each pie the smallest slice is 2.5%. Now minimum investment in each pie will be satisfied by investing 40€. Each month invest in a different pie in rotation.

However, you might also just save up until you have 200€ to invest. You will not do significantly different to investing monthly

1 Like

Not gonna lie, I regularly invest through trading212. I put a bit in various different pies, but now this STUPID change has basically made the app unusable for retail investors.

I shouldn’t, as a customer, have to juggle pies around just because you want to get more money under management! It’s a PANDEMIC and you’re lucky people are even still investing at all!

Change it back to how it was before, because my minimum deposit each month for ONE pie shouldn’t suddenly jump from £10 to £240!!

3 Likes

it hasn’t made it unusable for all retail investors. mine still works just fine :man_shrugging:.

It has just added limitations for those who decide to fill more of the maximum 50 slices of a pie.

1 Like

Hmmm… surely can’t be both :blush:

Since the minimum investment per slice has increased from 0.2 to 1, I don’t see how your minimum for a pie would go from £10 to £240. It would be £10 to £50, no?

This is nonsense!
I have 4 pies where I used to invest a total of 100€ per month in total. 30€ in 2 of them and 20€ in the other 2.
Now the minimum I need to invest bus 100€!!
I see someone mentioned having more than 50 holdings in the same pie. It’s not my case, and in one of them I only have 9. I don’t plan on splitting the 4 pies into 8 or 16. There’s no way that’s going to happen.
I’m considering selling everything and go into a new platform if this isn’t changed back again. I’m pretty sure you get more money with whales (huge investors), but let’s see how many other people are happy with this change without a prior notice. Not nice trading212!

2 Likes

Who else is offering, free autoinvest pies? :thinking:

1 Like

It seems that you have been investing in some stocks a 1% slice of 0.2€ per month, so only 2.40€ per year. I would humbly suggest that investment at such a level is not an effective way to save. Even if that stock were to double you would have made only 2.40€.

It would be better to spread your annual budget of 1200€ over fewer stocks or into a few ETFs. If you really want to make an annual investment of 2.40€ in some stock then do it at one or two time points a year rather than try to spread equally over 12 months.

1 Like