Newbie building my first ever portfolio

%62 US %22 EU %9 Brasil %5 HKG I got too much UK as well, I can’t help but keep buying DGE on every drop :sob:

1 Like

Beautiful charts! I have DGE via some Lindsell Train funds.

Many companies in the S&P 500 also have international exposure, so it’s not like the US stocks are only about the US.

US sneezes and the world catches a cold.
China sneezes and the world catches … well, we know what happened there :rofl:

1 Like

:point_up: this.

you want to geographically diversify your portfolio? buy PG and KO now you are present in every country :slight_smile:

1 Like

My question for everyone that is overweight in US stocks, which to give it a broad definition is to have more than its global market capitalisation weight (I think its around 55%?), would be the following:
Why do you not think that the time has arrived to move to say European and Emerging Stocks?
And when do you think it will?

And, are you basing it all on the fact that the USA has larger and more innovative technology companies?

In the case of European, I would argue that they still have not recovered from the Covid hit yet the economy may do better than in the USA, if they manage to control the virus better. All to be seen really.

Note: I am very overweight in European stocks (mainly UK, Spain and France) due to having a greater understanding and awareness of the market, hence I feel more comfortable investing in it. I just want to fully understand views of those overweight in USA stocks.

2 Likes

Wow, such well informed people, i’m feeling kinda dumb. I should of started this a long time ago. I still think i’ll look into maybe just picking a couple of Vanguard Etf’s and maybe trying to pick a couple of both staple UK & US dividend stocks, paying into them each month (majority into Etf’s) and then try to get a little understanding of how investing in the stock market is in real life, not just what you watch on Youtube…At least that way i will have started to invest, and i think "time IN the market beats timing the market, i’d be totally useless at that.
Am i also right in saying that a Vanguard ETF, VUSA eg, is exactly the same on Trading212 as it is on the Vanguard site, but no fee! Is that correct?
Thanks once again, you guys (& girls) have been so helpful…

1 Like

Yep that’s correct. It’s free here and the OCF is taken out automatically so you don’t notice it. All varying in price but very cheap that’s why I hold quite a few Vanguards. I like what they do, how they work.
Sounds like you’ve formulated a plan.
Good luck in your investing journey :raised_hands:t2:

Why do you not think that the time has arrived to move to say European and Emerging Stocks?
And when do you think it will?

One way to do it is to compare the Shiller PE of each country to make the decision.

If the question was pointed at me and not @Richard.W like I said, I am terrible at trying to time the market, learnt this the hard way over the years :slight_smile:

I am happy for other people to time this better than me, let them earn a lot and I am happy to follow them.

Hi
Is it called what would you add, takeaway?
If so, i think i’ve found it, not sure how i did though!

1 Like

Please could you explain compounding in a bit more detail to me and how I can get started? The numbers mentioned are amazing and I’m relatively young (mid 20s) so the earlier I start the more benefit I will have from compounding.

I am a recent investor (some might say speculative trader) so I am not too familiar with the whole stock markets, I am assuming the new Auto-invest feature combined with a few ETFs is the answer I’m looking for?

Yes, compounding interest, I too was going to ask about it, how does it work & is it really as good as some people say, given you have enough time?

Compounding isn’t something that amazing, the real results only come from the latter years when you have a large enough amount of money that each year the % increase goes up exponentially.

People get way too fixated on the gain over a really really long time frame.
If you invested for 50 years and compounded the results, nearly half of the gains come in the last 10 years. So some would argue the real trick is adding as much as possible in the early years to shortcut to the bigger gains.
So how far are you willing to go… do you start with:
£5000 ? £50,000 ? or go all in and sell your house/car/etc… and put that in too?

Doing so, you might run the risk of a stock crash hitting your stocks and losing a large amount which you would have to just sit tight on until it came back.
Sometimes this is quick, other times it never comes … look at Japan.

It’s really easy to go - WOW in 10 years my money grows to X amount.
10 years is a really long time … really long. So when people feed numbers into a compounding calculator and put the years to gain as something like 40 years … your just wasting your time. 40 years ago we didn’t even have the internet, and now we have it on a smartwatch. In another 40 years … who knows.

Don’t go pinning your hopes on an event outcome which may or may never come.
The likes of Buffett had one of the greatest uninterrupted bull runs in history. Some would argue you couldn’t help but make money in those eras, nothing says the same will continue. Your money, your call. Just have reasonable expectations.

3 Likes

Yep that’s the one :slight_smile:

I really enjoy how rational you are. It’s so easy to become swept away in “but in 10 years I’m going to have this amount and 15 years this amount” when realistically it might not happen this way. Things change. Like you said 40 years ago to now and 40 years into the future who really knows where we will be.
It’s for me (reading that reply) that makes me feel more grounded and to not throw more than I can afford into shares.

Frankly I still need to enjoy a good life now :raised_hands:t2: Saving is great but living now is also great.

1 Like

If you want to become rich quick, build the next Amazon. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I am also fairly new in all this and have only brought Stocks. I am not keen of ETF’s and other instruments.
I brought shares on the UK/US/Swiss and Spanish market.

I have brought the majority on all those that crashed because of COVID and will most certainly rebound in the next year or 2.

Not particularly attracted to pharma stocks (too much of gambling there) or Tech. They are already very high up.

The only one I am hesitating (too long of an hesitation) is CINEWORLD. There’s a mixture of sentiment out there. Though I cannot see how this company would go bust and can’t see how people won’t go back to normal next year …

Cheers

1 Like

What companies have you bought in the Swiss and Spanish stock market?

Dufry is affordable at the moment and in my view has to go back up when travel eases and Telefonica in Madrid ! Same thing.

I am for all the stocks that were high up and went down because of the virus. !

1 Like