Sale price ***BABA / Alibaba***

thatā€™s even more expensive at 86bps from an issuer Iā€™ve never heard before, FDNI is already available in T212 anyway.

Other than ā€œlets name things QQQ it sellsā€ logic, I canā€™t summon a single reason for myself to prefer this one for that fee, over many similar others.

I share your aversion for high TERs. Other than that I can offer a couple of reasons for preferring EMQQ anyway:

• historical outperformance,

• better valuation on most measures looking forward.

Given your negative comment I am wondering what am I missing.
FDNI has a tiny bit greater overlap with QQQ compared to EMQQ and has underperformed both.
chart

I would be interested to learn about similar ETFs with a lower fee to choose from. Choosing FDNI over EMQQ because of a 21 bps fee difference seems penny wise pound foolish though.

1 Like

I did not notice my comment was negative apologies if it sounded so. In the above threads, I kind of pointed at a recent ETF finding of mine, then people pointed out it is a bit on the expensive side, and then you come in and point to a very similar ETF which is circa 30% more expensive.

I had no intention to compare QQQ vs [insert any emerging market ETF here] I just wanted to poke fun at companies naming ETFs xQQ with the popularity of QQQ. Again this is due to my inability to express myself.

About historical outperformance, one can argue itā€™s not representative of future performance butā€¦
if I compared a USD denominated ETF vs a GBP denominated ETF and charted USD gains, I guess itā€™ll end up something similar as your graph. otherwise comparing USD to USD ends up being like this (All 3 of them, including EMQQ.L is denominated in USD)

(comically long yahoo finance link)

edit:
meh read my comment again, yeah it does sound a bit spiky, my bad sorry :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Itā€™s looking like some more heavy discounts on BABA for you guys today

1 Like

The dipping dip keeps dipping ā€¦ :grimacing:

1 Like

I think I have enough exposure in my Trusts. What are we thinking today, sub 200 again?

1 Like

Looking that way pre-market. Hopefully, buying through the volatility will pay off long term :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

am i the only one finding this image repulsive and feel like you dipped your banana into the wrong place at the wrong time?

luckily Iā€™ve spent a lot of money this month rebuilding my NAS so did not have much money to spend. Last night I bought 20 more BILI with the last pennies left in my pension and thatā€™s about it.

No worries. I do have to apologize from my part for jumping into your conversation.

I got intrigued by FDNI and knew EMQQ from before so I compared the two. Using justETF.com for that was admittedly not great. It does show the fund currency to be USD in both cases.

You make a good point with that link to Yahoo Finance. If currency was the reason for such a stark difference in performance shown by justETF.com I would definitively pick the one with the lowest TER. Thanks :+1:

Currently, pre market below $200.

2 Likes

Placing new buy pending ordersā€¦

Got some more right out the gate at $195.

@Hbomb +1
This is why I keep 3-5% of my cash uninvested. Iā€™m wondering how lower it could go.

I actually have been mulling over exiting NEE after recent earnings and for a few reasons, so had decided to sell last night and then also saw BABA on sale so put some of the cash raised into BABA.

1 Like

Iā€™d always be mindful of chasing of company that has been in free fall for some time, personally.

I also know I probably donā€™t understand the situation in China, which Iā€™m likely to be reminded of for posting this. However, putting a considerable amount of money in a market governed without democracy, and that is incredibly unpredictable at present doesnā€™t seem smart to me.

Thatā€™s just my view (which is probably wrong), I also love BABA and fundamentally it makes perfect sense, but these dictatorships are a funny old thing.

1 Like

Yep completely understandable, if people are unsure or wary of China then avoid investing. I just cant see a world where they are not an economic force that is growing in years to come and which are the biggest companies there going to be? Well they will be Chinese whether existing or future as US companies wont get a proper foothold.

I actually havenā€™t added much if any to it recently (in fact its slipped to 2nd holding now after being 1st), but sub $200 was my aim.

Your aim was to hold this stock until it was sub $200?

2 Likes

Yeah thatā€™s fair, I think China as a whole will continue to grow despite the slow down.

I would also be a little worried about the US allowing Chinese securities exposure to US market to raise capital despite the ongoing tensions.

I generally just use VFEM for my exposure which is only about 5% of my portfolio right now. Could of course change in the future.

For adding more, as in a price level I think its very attractive to add.

I love VFEM, VUSA and VFEM alone make a great portfolio I would say.

Ignore Dougal, he canā€™t help himself.