Total returns (open & closed positions)

I am aware that Trading 212 displays your ā€˜Returnā€™ on investments in the Portfolio tab of the app, which I presume is simply calculated as ((Portfolio Value - Amount Invested)/Amount Imvested)*100

This is all well and good for monitoring current positions, but is there a way to see all-time rate of return and annualised rate of return on open and closed positions (i.e. total returns from using T212)?

An example of where this would come in handy is after Apple and Teslaā€™s stock splits. My positions were closed when they occurred (I only owned fractionals) and after re-buying them at their new prices, my % ā€˜Returnā€™ plummeted (because my returns on Apple and Tesla went from profit to becoming ā€˜Investedā€™ capital after the sell and re-buy). Again, the ā€˜Returnā€™ figure T212 shows is appropriate here for a live insight into my current open positionsā€™ performance, but it means I donā€™t have any insight into my long term success on T212.

My Vanguard account seems to handle this really well, showing a separate ā€˜Personal Rate of Returnā€™ figure, which it describes as being IRR:

The only similar feature in T212 I can find is the ā€˜Total returnā€™ figure in the ā€˜Historyā€™ tab of the app, but this seems to only give your net profit/loss on closed positions.

Finally, I am aware that I could use 3rd party software to log all of my trades, and it would then calculate for me my overall returns, but this is such a hassle and I imagine it wouldnā€™t be too difficult for the T212 app to calculate this for me itself?

So, am I being really stupid and missing something here, or has such a feature not yet been introduced?

10 Likes

Been asked a lot of times now, theyā€™re just really busy right now, hopefully implemented soon. Would be nice to get an annualised return percentage too

2 Likes

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying :slight_smile:

Freetrade just introduced a money-weighted rate of return (I believe this is just another term for IRR), so hopefully T212 will be able to implement it soon!

Edit: also worth adding that fingers crossed when it is added, it will be retrospective (and not just start calculating from when the feature is rolled out)! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Agreed on this. T212 shows my return is drastically lower than it actually is because of re-investments and stock splits. Iā€™m only really interested in seeing Total Profit - Amount Invested as a percent when I look at returns. Itā€™s easy to work out myself of course, but would be a QoL improvement.

3 Likes

Absolutely. Itā€™s a real shame this still hasnā€™t been implemented! Iā€™d imagine it would be a pretty simple addition for the T212 team.

On a somewhat related note, Freetrade recently added this graph view for your investment rate of return (the % return that T212 does currently show):

(You can choose between a 1 week, 1 month, 3 month or max timeframe)

I really like how they plot the FTSE All World alongside so you can see your portfolioā€™s performance against the world economyā€¦ a really neat little feature I thought! Would be awesome if this could be added as well.

2 Likes

Agreed, return really should be (Ā£value - Ā£cash invested) / Ā£cash invested. Earned dividends should not be included as part of our ā€œinvestedā€ value as itā€™s not cash we put in. There should definitely be an option to see what our total, real return is.

2 Likes

Was this feature implemented yet? I would really like to see how it works now. I am a newer user and still donā€™t know how to use all the possible functions of the program.

1 Like

This feature is long due. The only feature I need it most right now on T212.
I mean calculating your overall return on a investment platform is a very basic feature.

1 Like

Itā€™s not available yet, but itā€™s in the roadmap.

Can this program calculate an accretion dilution model of a deal? Our company plans a major deal with another one, and we would like to calculate the possible outcome somehow. The accretion dilution model seem the best one for this kind of calculation.
We would like to know what will be the general impact on the company from this deal and what domains of the company will be affected by it the most.