Invest & ISA - Account Funding Conditions Update

Omg i only can deposit via Apple Pay

That means its like I am investing with an ETF that takes its profits upfront 0.7% of my initial capital :pleading_face:

I would have no problems with this if there were fee free options available to non-UK customers for all currency base accounts.

Maybe there are some and Iā€™m unaware of them? But does anyone know what the solution is for non-UK customers, who have a USD account? How do we fund our accounts so that there areā€¦

No fees for us (the users) &
No fees for you (Trading212)?

Is the only option/solution opening up a UK (multi-currency) bank account? So then we have access to this ā€œopen bankingā€ feature?

1 Like

I have tried several ways for non-UKs. Bank transfer for USD goes as SWIFT, which for Revolut is over 4$ fee each. Every card payment, google pay, so everything that goes instantly has a large fee now of 0.7%. I will keep calculating it if it is still okay for me to stay here comparing to other brokers. I am afraid itā€™s just the beginning.

5 Likes

I personally think that as TR212 informed EU customers with a very very short notice (2 weeks), they should postpone the fee payments start date until they can propose a 0 fee solution for EU customers.
Mainly because 1 week ago they proudly announced that NOTHING would change after the Brexitā€¦ Which turned out to be a lie or a false promiseā€¦

3 Likes

Exactly. Now non-UKs have no possibility to deposit funds without any fee - from the bank or broker side. Thatā€™s not good when you lose 0.7% on everything even before any purchase. Thatā€™s like a 0.7% spread on every trade or 0.7% purchase fee.
There must be some way for Non-UKs to avoid this huge feeā€¦

1 Like

I might be missing something. You claim that you will have to pay fees because of Brexit?

Have your options on how you fund the account changed (not talking about the fee but how you fund)?

Iā€™m interested to know how the change to the funding is as a result of Brexit so that I can correctly answer any other people on the community that ask questions. Thanks.

Non EU customers were given the exact same notice.

Correct. But UK users have a free way to deposit funds : Open Banking.
But TR212 does not yet support this method for EU countries. And even worse : TR212 does not dare to give any date by when they will support it. Even worse : they have to do it country by countryā€¦

Thatā€™s why I say they announced the end of 0 fees without offering an alternative.

Hence if they cared about EU investors, they should delay the fees until we have an alternativeā€¦

2 Likes

Why donā€™t you make a lump sum bank transfer?

This is probably the best solution for many until something better is in place. If there is a bank transfer fee it is likely to be a fixed sum rather than a % of the sum transferred. Interest rates are low, so there is little loss in maintaining a cash balance with Trading 212 until ready to invest.

However, Trading 212 also tries to serve those who can only afford to invest a bit from their earnings month by month and do not have a substantial lump sum to move over all at once. Those who use autoinvest can currently not invest from free funds and so are forced to use card payment. Hopefully the better option would of drawing on free funds will come soon.

1 Like

Because the basics of investment is DCA, dollar cost averaging, i.e. invest each month an amount

1 Like

Lump sum investment have beaten DCA and timing the market historically and statistically, especially in the longer term.

Btw I didnā€™t mean a lump sum investment, instead I meant a lump sum transfer. So then one can use it whenever needed, until you run out of funds. :slight_smile:

I understand :slightly_smiling_face:
As written above in the previous comment, not all investors have such a big amount set aside right now to inject it in one shot :wink:

I donā€™t have a lump sum ā€¦ I follow 50/30/20 Role

DEGIRO and Revolut solved this problem by making a CH bank account. Are you considering this? @George

2 Likes

Yes please, that would be great! @George

Where do you live? I might be able to help you find a way to fund your accountā€¦ or you can try looking in to TransferWise/Revolut/Payseraā€¦

I live in Kingdoms of Saudi Arabia

What does this rule entail?

I see it as anoying for those that cannot fund for free, as many people invest a percentage of their monthly salary (recurring monthly), hence they cannot transfer it before the deadline.

50% Spend
30% Savings
20% Investing

Of monthly cash flow

1 Like