Investment trust debt sectors

Those type of IT were in my radar for some time. This was my “favorite”:

You nail almost all of them. One of the reasons, I didn’t move on them, was the credit risk, due to raising environment of the interest rates and a potential recession in the horizon. Both scenarios increase the possibilities of higher loan delinquencies. Inflation risk never was a big issue for me in this sector.

Not so. It can be very risky. Although some could have a steady legacy stream of income, biopharma sector invest millions in R&D, to sometimes no return, due to several issues, not passing trials and/or the regulation (just see the COVID vaccines/pills examples).

Also some medicines are found to have serious side effects, and they are forced to pay large fines and indemnities to their clients.

They also face regular political risk due to their huge prices, mostly in innovative treatments or niche illness treatments (smaller potential customer target).

BioPharma was other favorite of mine. Pollen didn’t convinced me, although if I remember correctly, it had an interesting portfolio. Also the AIC’s sector Debt Structured Finance didn’t convinced me, due to be too much exotic for me (e.g. CLO). But there could be other gems on debt ITs, if you are interested in that asset class (debt: loan/bond). :wink:

EDIT: Post about the Biopharma sector not the Biopharma IT.

2 Likes