Portfolio - what would you add or take away? 🧐

Out of interest what total return do you see every month on average from your picks? 2%? 5%? 10%?

For a while I had IITU getting 6-8% per month just on that.

Is it case you have majority in safe ETFs, and keep some aside as “play” money for exciting speculative stocks or swing trades?

I’m really bad at keeping money in the safer but slow burn ones, need to stop looking at penny stocks. So many swing pump and dump plays happening :joy: I find it slow hard collecting say 10% return a month when I can make 50% return in a week on something volatile.

5-10% returns per month? Is that a typo for Year returns? :thinking:

Would love to learn how to get 10% returns monthly… :beers:

It’s because you’re diversifying with too many stocks and not putting more with the best, 5-20 is fine :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Serious answer gold and tech works for me. You could go IITU and EQQQ as above.

I had a gold ETF but that’s now in GGP that gets be a nice constant amount.

Recent swing plays on penny stocks can get 300% in a day or two. Current play is GNUS and MARK. Obviously you don’t get the no fuss sit back and chill with that. Win some, lose some, but I sleep fine at night it’s money I can afford to lose.

What return do you get?

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies. So much food for thought.

I did buy the VAGP bond but just the one share so nothing too outrageous. Just feels reassuring having something at a 3/7 risk rather than my other ETF’s at a 5. The return won’t be exciting but I’ll continue to top it up each month.

At the beginning at this wild journey I was thinking “CFD silver and away I go” that was a whole area I’m not heading back to anytime soon so I’m looking at 10/15 years now. So I guess that’s a decent amount of time to up my stock % and lower my bond %

Question - what other all world ETF’s would I need if I hold what I do now?

Yes been waiting for VJPN to drop a little but I guess it all balances out eventually.

I hold quite a few single stocks, like everyone else it’s a mine field knowing weather to hold or sell or what to do. I don’t want to be the one in 1/2/3 years time saying “Hindsight” I trust in them and hope for good things. I don’t have a gold ETF I’m backing GGP, another wonderful volatile joinery.

Yes @Dao that was my thinking entirely, this way yes I pay slightly more in the long run (TBH it’s never going to be an amount that makes my eyes water :flushed:) but (when PIE is fully up and running) I can self balance my ETF’s out with auto instalments and be in control of where I put my money monthly rather than go all in one huge world ETF and everything’s allocated in one. Feels like a more optimistic approach. May not be the most savvy way.

@phildawson GGP and PHE :raised_hands:t2:

Once again thanks for all the replies - I’m officially :exploding_head: but in a good way.

Think it’s ETF’s for the keep and those cheap stocks for the :crossed_fingers:t2:

@phildawson you got GGP for 0.09 :flushed:

My average is 7.67 atm, I did have 50k shares but sold 10k shares. Less than a penny I wish! Need a time machine back to 2018.

It’s at a pretty good point to buy atm 11.50-12p. looking forward to the next step up.

I originally saw it at 4p and then tried to buy at ~6p but T212 had issues where it was only at auction times, then instantish, then back to auction, and it sometimes failed, sometimes worked so it was bloody frustrating. It’s all fine since then. You can read about it here if you are bored. I managed to takeover three threads with my grumbles.

Anyway that’s all in the past now. Looking forward to seeing where it goes over the next year. I’m happy just holding those atm but to me it’s very derisked now so would be happy holding more.

1 Like

Hindsight again. I’m happy to roll back to 2018 too for that price. My average price is 12p :woman_facepalming:t2: but I have loud alerts set for any dips!

That’s majorly frustrating, always the way when you want something you know you’re onto (hopefully :crossed_fingers:t2:) a good thing with and something’s standing in the way.

I’m actually wanting at discover the next “potential big thing” GGP and PHE are staying put, I don’t even mind seeing the red (although PHE are climbing nicely)

Will have a read, some of my buys get stuck in pending for a long time until I have to cancel and buy again. Thankfully it’s never been detrimental to me. I just put in down to glitches although I’m sure that was a stressful time with GGP

That probably won’t work with GGP due to the way the market works, with it only operating at set times during the day. By the time you get the alert you would have to buy in the next “set time” at which point the price is likely to stabilise.

If you want to buy “cheap” you probably need to have limit buys. They are currently working fine. Initially I had a similar issue to Phil (with buying it on T212) so I also ended up buying my initial chunks at a higher price than it initially was.

1 Like

Ah okay good to know. Thank you.

Is there a way to find it’s set times or is this sporadic and changeable daily? At the moment I have time spare to be present but as time moves on this luxury will be less available.

Limit buys it is then :slightly_smiling_face:

If you want to go traditional and safe that’s fine, but incase you are interested in sprinkling in aggressive growth I’ve pretty much narrowed down the 3 best growing ETF’s that I’m interested in myself.

This is a 4 year chart

Base - Dow J
Black - Nasdaq Composite
Red - iShares S&P 500 Information Technology
Green - Scottish Mortgage Trust

Now, there is a new ETF that many mentioned on this forum already which was created in September
This is a 3 month chart

Orange - WisdomTree Cloud Computing

There are other potential growers, but I tried to find 3 with not much overlap.
SMT

IITU/IUIT

KLWD/WCLD

Another good grower which isn’t Tech is iShares Gold Producers

Hope this helps :smiley: :+1:

4 Likes

It isn’t sporadic, you do have to time it right, and a lot depends on the liquidity of the stock. Both Phil and I had trouble getting orders through with GGP back in April. Maybe it isn’t as bad now :slight_smile:

"SETSqx (Stock Exchange Electronic Trading Service – quotes and crosses) is a trading service for securities less liquid than those traded on SETS.

The auction uncrossings are scheduled to take place at 8am, 9am, 11am, 2pm and 4:35pm."

2 Likes

Sounds like a limit buy would be easier to get my brain around and less time consuming.

Every day is a learning day :books:

My average was 0.02p😉

1 Like

for GGP? Now I know why you’re so happy to see where this road leads. Sit back and relaaaaax.
I’m not jealous at all :lying_face:

1 Like

I sold GGP at 5p and again at 12p for 500% return. Even if it takes off I can’t regret locking into some profits.

As for the topic, VanEcks eSports etf seems like a fair choice given the growth of gaming and eSports.

2 Likes

Everyone on their GGP stories - me :unamused:

Jokes I’m fully on the GGP journey now so riding with my 12p average :joy:

If you believe that the tracks lead up then all that matters is being on the train. I got off because gold miners are a bit too much of a rollercoaster for me. I’ll buy again next time it’s <2p - ideally in the sub 1p range.

1 Like

You and me both. We’ll have our stories I’m sure.

1 Like

:crossed_fingers:t2: Love a daily dose of optimism, I totally agree.

1 Like

When I set up my portfolio I remember being advised not to pump too much money monthly into the UK ETF rather start with the S&P and % everything out from there.

Just wanted to say that’s been great advise so glad I listened as the FTSE 100 (FTSE 200 coping better) is forever in the red and S&P is always in the green.

Is this because US are able to cope better during this pandemic or British economy really isn’t that great?