Portfolio - what would you add or take away? šŸ§

Me againā€¦just find it better to keep on this thread than start a whole new one and clutter things up (hate clutter)

I wanted to ask where people look to give them the best DD on a company they can find?

Iā€™ve been using Simply Wall Street / Yahoo Finance and Stock Invest US. Are these good places to look?

Another quick question (without having to go super deep into a companies history) are there specific details you look at when researching?

Revenues? Debts? Inception?

Trying to keep things a little more condensed than reading things I donā€™t always need to read.

Thanks kindly.

Iā€™m still learning a lot probably like yourself so theyā€™ll be a lot better people placed than me to answer this question. Iā€™m also mainly an index investor opposed to individual stocks. But hereā€™s what I use

On the technical analysis side of things, Iā€™m not a trader so I tend just to check the 50 and 200 day SMA. I look at the RSI but these but the RSI doesnā€™t hugely influence my decision. Where as the 50 day is a good sense check.

On more of a fundamental side im still very simple. Just the normal price to back, sales, growth and earnings. Also with earnings forecasts factored into. Debt to equity is something key to check.

The main thing I use finally is to check against competitors in the same sector.

I have been meaning to start playing in my practice account with companies that trade at a low PB ratio but high earnings forecast.

If youā€™re looking at dividend companies then remember to check the dividend history.

All that being said, I donā€™t have lots and lots of time so I tend to do indexā€™s and a select few companies that arenā€™t so risky.

As I said though Iā€™m not too experienced so theyā€™ll be a lot more qualified people than me as Iā€™m constantly learning. But itā€™s a long term game for me so Iā€™m not in a rush

1 Like

Thank you for that info.

I admit fully to needing to do more research on stocks and charts but working full time sometimes takes over a little.

I really want to educate myself more on making informed decisions. Iā€™ve made a few mistakes but nothing too dramatic. I learn from mistakes so in the end Iā€™m glad I made them.

Iā€™m mainly ETF with my consistent portfolio but do hold more single stocks that I actually want right now. Again trial and error. I like single stocks but not quite as many as I hold. Less is more and I broke my own rule recently. Quite annoying. The tech bubble enticed me. Thankfully itā€™s PayPal and the larger companies that wonā€™t simply just vanish. Still Iā€™ll most likely have to average down.

For example purposes I added a photo on Netflix chart. RSI and SMA set at 50 day. The thereā€™s various indicators to choose from. How do you decide which are the better ones to work off?

For your company DD do you use the sites I mentioned above or tend to look elsewhere for your info?

I find Simply Wall Street really good for analysis but donā€™t pay a fee so thereā€™s only so much I can see.

I mainly use the following.
If I donā€™t know anything about the company then first Yahoo or some other site with financials on then.
I quite like Tikr to compare financials in a specific sector. Eg. EV/EBITDA.

I also use TradingView to search for companies fitting criteria you want and then research those.

I usually then search for news on the company to gauge if anything has gone well or wrong recently.

For me the main source of information on any company is their RNSs and the company accounts, the annual reports are VERY useful.

2 Likes

Iā€™m very much the same with work and family etc, hence the indexā€™s for me.

Donā€™t worry about the mistakes, itā€™s all a learning curve just hopefully it doesnā€™t cost too much money :joy:. Itā€™s tricky because you learn a lot about yourself investing as well. Iā€™ve learnt my risk tolerance is pants and Iā€™m not good at following the crowd (I knew this one anyway in fairness). If I rush into an investment I can rush out of it too. So my trading history for the first few months was horrific. Whereas now itā€™s extremely minimal.

Youā€™re not alone in that one either, the odds are if it goes up fast, itā€™ll come down fast too. I got in Paypal pretty early but when it got to near 300 I sold it as it became far to expensive.

Again, Im probably not the best to answer. But I would say there isnā€™t a right answer and itā€™s all about context. Iā€™d watch some videos on the MACD as well. I would say the technical analysis is more of a trading tool in some ways, thatā€™s why itā€™s secondary to me.

I subscribe to simply Wall Street, use yahoo, cnbc, Bloomberg etc etc. Itā€™s always good to check these if you see an indicator looking a bit out there.

Youā€™ll tel from Equityā€™s posts heā€™s a lot more proficient than me for balance sheets etc.

Iā€™m learning on these and recommend Money Week on YouTube. Heā€™s nothing flash and stick to the facts and doesnā€™t entice silly growth stocks. Very much a fundamental kind of guy.

Iā€™ve only been in since August but Iā€™m now taking it really slow and reading lots of books etc

1 Like

Thank you so much for your advice @EquityInvestor and @Jobloggs as ever itā€™s given me lots to look into and lots more to learn which is brilliant.

Thank you for taking the time today to reply :slightly_smiling_face:

@EquityInvestor @Jobloggs

Hope Iā€™m okay to ask another question - Iā€™ve been looking into a stocks finances Zillow Group in this instance.

The debt is lower than the equity - am I looking at the right thing? So therefore the risk is lower? If the debt is higher than the equity itā€™s probably a red flagā€¦

Thank you just want to make sure Iā€™m teaching myself correctly. Iā€™m using yahoo finance for the info.

The risk in terms of debt would be lower than for a company with much higher debt compared to the equity, yes.

For normal, typical companies, not high growth tech with no revenue (havenā€™t come up with anything for those), I personally like to look at two measures:

1. On one hand, how much total debt does the company have compared to its tangible assets.
    So for the debt I add current liabilities and non-current liabilities and for the assets I look at total assets and subtract those that are intangible, and canā€™t really be sold in my opinion. Intangible assets tends to be listed as an item, if not then I look for items such as ā€œgoodwillā€ or brand or things like that, and subtract those from the assets, to get some kind of ā€œtotal tangible assetsā€ (just to give it a name).
    My preferred number would be liabilities to be less than half of these total tangible assets, but in the current environment of low interest rates there arent that many companies that meet it, but at least its a ratio or percentage that I keep in mind.

2. I look at the ratio between the ā€œnet debtā€ (total debt minus cash or cash equivalents) and the EBITDA of a company. This typically should be below 3 for most banks to lend at a reasonably low interest, although I dont remember where I read this. A youtuber, Cameron Stewart also uses it, so it must be a pretty common ratio, nonetheless I read it in a paper or book somewhere.
    EBITDA is Earnings Before Interests, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization. Itā€™s stated quite frequently, if not you can calclate it. I find that some companies, particularly those with very low Depreciation and Amortization just state EBIT.

Note for number 2, although perhaps a bit more work and a bit more complicated:
If you want to actually include market value of the company and how it compares to other similar companies you could look at Earned Value to EBITDA ratio and compare it to similar companies. Earned Value is the ā€œTotal Debt + Market Capitalisation - Cashā€.

What do other people compare debt against or what ratios do you use? :smiley:

1 Like

Yikes thank you for that. I wish I could have a sit down seminar with you for a week!

It will take me some time to figure out what you say as Iā€™m definitely still a newbie. Thank heavens itā€™s written down so I can re-read it as much as I need to.

Yahoo finance is brilliant for all the above as itā€™s got a full break down of everything so thankfully thatā€™s all in once place. So Iā€™ve a starting point and Iā€™ve the pieces of info above to start slotting the pieces together.

Iā€™m definitely confused right now but hope in time I can figure it all out :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

I am not really an expert. I had a basic financially basis that I have been building on, like you, doing some research, but I also have a lot to learn. When I come across an idea that I feel make sense to my way of investing or evaluating companies I try it out, see if I like it and continue using it.

So, I would not be surprised if other people on here had better methods of evaluating company debt. I am quite interested in comparing views. :smiley:

Hi all.

Following on from the few messages above regarding trying to understand and to learn a specific companies finances (debts / equities) which I now use yahoo finance a lot and itā€™s been great.

I wondered does anyone then use the Firm Foundation Theory? Working out the intrinsic value of a stock and then applying a margin of safety? Iā€™ve been far too flighty recently with some tech stocks and itā€™s been a great wake up call that I need to learn more solid ways of investing if I want to be occasionally more active than just with my passive funds.

Iā€™ve only just been introduced to it. Was curious is it a tool you commonly use to work out what SP youā€™re willing to hold for?

Or do you use the Castle in the sky theory? Seems like with Gamestop and AMC this is a theory being commonly used.
I too have used it and made some money but itā€™s not something Iā€™d risk much money on or feel confident to use for a healthy portfolio.

After reading about the tulip bulb craze - itā€™s uncanny in the tech market at the moment. Itā€™s history repeating itself.

As always I enjoy hearing your opinions on strategies.

Thank you

I always have a margin of safety, history is useful. We are creatures of habit, fashion comes in and out, the universe is full of cycles, patterns repeat. Illuminati.

Assess, benchmark, know itā€™s safe and enter.