Ant Group Discussion

Indeed, also remember a country like China is competing with US, do you think they want Alibaba to be as big or bigger than Amazon? of course they do. This issue was to do with the Ant IPO in that should it be treated like a bank, lots of people in power im sure are heavily invested in banks so just wanted some protection.

So do you think the price drop and potential further drop is due to the price inflation of the ant group ipo? I’m just struggling to understand a potential 20% drop for a company that only owns 33%

I think its just sentiment due to ant ipo issues, the same way vaccine hopes raised most things and sunk some tech stocks, are microsoft any weaker now vaccine? I would say not.

So more of an investment shift based on the companies covid made weaker rather than the issues with the companies they have sold.
I think I’m going to continue buying over the next week or so and hope that it doesn’t fall back to pre covid prices

Yes if you are looking to get into Alibaba my ethos was anything under $300 good deal… now were like $260 going lower potentially so if your planning to add not a bad time.

Did you see how much their ‘prime day’ made again?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/11/alibaba-singles-day-2020-record-sales-overshadowed-by-stock-plunge.html

Yes I did but share price fell further?

I mean I will refer you to Joeys comment few posts above for the people selling.

Well hopefully we don’t end up with the same reference by the end of the year!

The market is crazy, so fickle.

Loading up on BABA as it falls. Bring more discounts! :sunglasses:

Hardly out of no where the head of ant group criticised the government and regulatory bodies.

So was immediately crushed and now china is bringing new laws and regulations in to stop the big tech companies into line.

Because the “facts of businesses” are not the same in China

With the government gunning for them its not that out of the question the company could be split up, nationalised, its board imprisoned etc.

You will get zero warning if anything like that happens. You won’t get a chance to react or to sell just a headline that Xi has let the hammer and sickle fall.

"Indeed, also remember a country like China is competing with US, do you think they want Alibaba to be as big or bigger than Amazon? of course they do. "

Well no th3yd much prefer a state controled company was bigger than amazon

If this is true then why are we all investing in Chinese companies? Why are they even listed on US markets?
Why are the current top investment companies all buying Chinese company stocks?
I agree what has happened with the ipo is odd but complete sabotage? I’m not so sure, if China was interested in dominating The Ant Group or Jack Ma himself they would and wouldn’t even blink.

Imo they are just not ready for a complete switch to online banking or worse still online currency so they are holding back companies capable of ruining the current banking regime, with new regulations it gives the main market banks chance to catch up and compete

1 Like

I’m gonna borrow this thread for the Alibaba news: :confused:

Alibaba shares in Hong Kong plunge 8%

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/24/asia-markets-brexit-coronavirus-currencies-oil.html

I’ve been buying the dip that now turned into a premium :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Bzzzzzzz, all I hear is noise… Buying opportunities incoming.

I’m with you. Just wanted to hear I’m not alone :wink: :grimacing:

You are not alone, this is a nice Christmas gift :slight_smile: Strong buy !

1 Like

It’s been a strong buy since the failed ipo hasn’t it?
I just hope the Chinese don’t know something we don’t that’s just around the corner and I’m sick of all the doom and gloom with this stock/group.

There has to come a point though when it’s good money after bad, especially with the vast amount of growing stocks there are out there today.

I hope we all don’t live to regret this

Seeing that they might split it up there might a big risk to buy. It might not be a dip :man_shrugging: (To be transparent: I don’t currently own any Chinese stock at the moment as the risk is to big for my taste)

From Bloomberg:

Ma’s empire is in crisis mode. His top executives are part of a task force that has almost daily interactions with watchdogs. Meanwhile, regulators, including the China Banking and Insurance Regulatory Commission, are weighing which businesses Ant should give up control of to contain the risks it poses to the economy, according to officials with knowledge of the matter. They haven’t settled on whether to carve up its different lines of operation, split its online and offline services, or pursue a different path altogether.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-12-22/jack-ma-s-empire-in-crisis-after-china-halts-ant-group-ipo

Exactly my worry. @dMLT @Lenos1980