Baillie Gifford [discussion] 📃

In the article you post, it mentions that the ‘C’ share class isn’t to common retail investors:

The board of Schiehallion said on Thursday (6 January) it was considering raising up to $500m via the proposed issue of a ‘C’ share class aimed at both institutional and professional investors.

Forgot to reply. It’s Naspers, not Napster. :wink: Naspers website

Good spot, I should’ve noticed that. We want B class.

Can’t wait to get back in PHI and BGCG, but can’t see the sense in it while they are still issuing new equity.

Been looking at other options, here’s a chart comparing 1 year results of BGCG, PHI, JCGI and JAGI.

PHI is very impressive, BGCG of course was completely different prior to BG taking over, so take those results with a pinch of salt and expect to see them rise if they work their usual magic.

Did a quick comparison between holdings in PHI and BGCG, here are the overlapping holdings:

Alibaba
Brilliance China Automotive
Burning Rock Biotech Ltd
CNOOC
Geely Automobile Holdings
Guangzhou Kingmed Diagnostics ‘A’
Huayu Auto Systems ‘A’
iQIYI Inc
JD . Com Inc
KE Holdings
Kingdee Int’l Software Group
Kingsoft Corp Ltd
Li Ning
LUFAX Holdings LTD
Meituan Dianping
Minth Group
Ping An Bank ‘A’
Ping An Insurance
Tencent
Zai Lab ADR

I’m in two minds here really. I don’t want to invest anymore into my BG pie as it’s currently half of my holdings.

I have 25% of it dedicated to PHI, I’m half thinking of cutting down my SMT and USA to make room for BGCG

Hi,

What’s in your BG pie?

Here’s mine:

(Will add BG European Growth Trust and UK Growth Trust soon as they made fractional).

https://www.trading212.com/pies/l7aghskZJz7bwkauLTwslqklNoDq

Here’s mine. I have ishares clean energy in there as well to be fair.

If I had more capital spare at the moment I’d just add BGCG but I think I’ll move from USA to BGCG as I have a USA pie already.

2 Likes

Nice pie, do you think you need more exposure to Europe/UK though?

Potentially yeah. I do have 25% in a UK pie but it’s a fair point.

I didn’t notice that the UK and European Growth funds were on 212 so that’s definitely worth some research

Nice, I am guessing this pie is not the majority of your portfolio or is it? My only thing is if they are mostly all BG funds, if there was an issue with them (I know very unlikely) then all funds may be impacted. I have no basis for this haha just that I have chosen funds/ETFs from different companies for this purpose.

Is it possible to add this?

2 Likes

I believe not. It is a fund and not an investment trust. I know there are some Baillie Gifford funds on t212 already but they are actually trusts. T212 can add close ended funds like investment trusts and operate like stocks. Open ended funds don’t behave like stocks.

Would love to see this too. They have all the BG trusts on the platform, I haven’t seen any OEIC funds, but I believe Trading212 are working on this :crossed_fingers:

OEICs aren’t exchange traded, so can’t be added.

1 Like

No new issue of equity since the 8th January on BGCG, I wonder whether this is the end of it?

BGCG Premium is at 7.8%.

PHI Premium is at 9.8%.

Both still a bit higher than their other funds: Daily Prices | Baillie Gifford | Individual Investors

2 Likes

Just a note for people who use HL. Baillie Gifford’s Health Innovation fund has now launched on their platform. I’ll be adding this one into my ISA.

(it’s a fund, so can’t ever see it here on 212, but just thought i’d share)

1 Like

That’s on my list for next year when I open a HL account for sure.

@phixion i finally took the plunge on both.

SMT is taking a battering this week so far.

@RVP What are fees like with HL? From what I understand, funds are free so no charges on those.

Each month you have to pay .45% of your invested money, correct?

How much does it cost to buy things like SMT and INRG? From what I see it’s £11.95… Is that charge incurred each time you invest more in to them?

This might be viable for me, I’m not investing that much so monthly fee would be quite low. I just don’t want to hit any surprise fees.

@Jobloggs Yeah, everything is red. Hopefully it improves this week!

Loading up on this SMT pullback, I’m guessing there is no particular reason for it? Can’t see anything myself…

PHI I managed to get a great entry a few weeks back, up almost 20% right now - waiting for another pullback to load up again

Hi there!

Yes, you pay .45% on everything in your portfolio.
However, You pay .45% to a maximum of £45 per year on ETF’s & Trusts.

So, if you had £1,000,000 in funds with HL, you’d pay £4500 a year in fees.
If you had £1,000,000 in ETF’s & Trusts with Hl, you pay £45 a year!!!

I only worked this out recently, so I have switched most of my funds to ETF’s & Trusts.

Funds are free to buy & sell -hence the no limit on their .45% charge.
Etf’s & Trusts cost £11.95 to buy & sell, hence their cap at £45 per year.

if you plan accordingly, you can save a bit.

What i do is cost average into funds… (free to buy), then once I have a substantial amount saved up and the time is right, i sell the fund and buy an ETF or Trust. It’s been working well.

1 Like