Capital gains tax

I have one further idea. HMRC does not specify what exchange rate should be used. Tourist rate, spot rate, spot mid rate, spot buy rate, average day rate? I have seen UK tax advisors remark upon this lack of specificity by HMRC. I have seen tax advisors conclude that you are free to use any reasonable published available rate.

So suppose we elect to use the Mastercard buy or sell rate. $1000 stock bought with Trading 212 currently costs £719.69 including the fx fee. But the Mastercard cost of a $1000 purchase is currently £720.93. So a Trading 212 transaction lies within the spread of the Mastercard buy and sell rates. The Mastercard rates are generally accepted as being about as good as retail clients can expect to obtain, better than tourist rates. Starling, Monzo, etc use the Mastercard rates.

This makes me think I one could use the Mastercard buy and sell rates. I buy stock worth $1000. I could record its cost as £720.93. I am following HMRC guidance by using a documented and publicly available currency buy rate. But I am not trying to take the Trading 212 0.15% fee as a deductible cost. In fact, I record my cost as what I am charged by Trading 212, £719.69. I can defend this as being no greater than the Mastercard spot buy rate.

This approach would not work with a purchase made with AJ Bell. Their 1% markup puts the cost of $1000 beyond the Mastercard cost.


Hi Guys, I’m after some guidance/favour. I need to work out my gains/losses for shares of 3 companies. These are a little complicated with bed and breakfasting rule.
I have looked at the guidance and examples on HMRC and they don’t exactly fit my scenario. Is there anyone here who can help me with working these out please?

I know that an accountant would be a good idea but that’s all I need help with and I’m not sure if any accountant would take this on without charging too much.

So if you can help me out with this I can send my transactions to you, I’d be interested to see the computations. If you know someone that can help for a reasonable fee I’m happy with this option as well.

Any offer/suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

as a first step why not call HMRC and ask them a general enquiry about your scenario?

Thanks for the suggestion @trader787, the last time I called them it took me ages to get through and then it took quite a while for the person I was speaking with to get what I was asking (separate issue) so I’m not sure how quickly I can get through to someone who will know what I’m talking about straight away.

Greedy, they tax us on absolutely everything. That’s why I’m sticking with An ISA. Tempted to use CFD but dreading the tax return.

Good point. Being in a country without CGT, it is a kind of externalities that never bother me :joy:

Being in a country without CGT, it is a kind of externalities that never bother me

I should move to your country :grin:! Which country is that if you don’t mind me asking?

Netherlands :relaxed:
We have a wealth tax, that is calculated on fictitious returns; generally speaking, you’d get taxed less than what you’d be supposed to, but it could be that the reverse is true if you’ve had very poor returns. Also, this is a yearly cash outflow, regardless of your market transactions.

But no CGT, no dividend taxes either, and dividend withholding taxes paid internationally are deductible from your income tax.

Overall, short of a tax heaven, it’s pretty much the best tax system you could ask for an investor. We don’t have ISAs, since any general investment account is already tax free.


Overall, short of a tax heaven, it’s pretty much the best tax system you could ask for an investor.

Sign me up, I’m moving over next week, Haha!

Seriously though, that is super-awesome!

1 Like

Waiting list for renting in Amsterdam is now 14 years. :upside_down_face:


We are a little off-topic, but… that’s great. :smiley:

Although taxes are not high in Croatia either, CGT is not paid if the shares are held for more than 2 years (FIFO), otherwise it is 10%, and wash sale is also allowed. The only drawback is that there is no double taxation treaty with the USA, so they withhold 30%.

Can you get the 15% withhold tax Americans took as a credit or ask for a tax refund?

1 Like

I get just 15% withholding tax. And that tax paid is then a deductible on my income tax, so to answer your question, “both”?

1 Like

In the first case you get a credit that you deduct from the tax you should pay (in the Netherlands), in the second case you have nothing to pay (because there is no CGT or dividend tax in the Netherlands), so withholding dividend tax you paid in the USA is returned to your current account as a tax refund.

There is something similar in Croatia, only (allegedly, I’ve never done it personally) it’s complicated to get the necessary evidence because the tax administration doesn’t recognize a print screen from Trading 212 as proof, I have to ask KO, O, etc,… directly for an official document/proof that my tax was withheld.

1 Like