CFD 'Margin Call'/'Positions Will Close' Calculation

Hi.

New to CFD trading and trying to calculate the ā€˜margin callā€™ stock price and ā€˜positions will closeā€™ stock price for a spreadsheet. Iā€™ve read the recent threads with the BTC example yet canā€™t get my head around the margin figures, despite the formulae being there. Status wise Iā€™m getting my head around but with the Ā£ to $ conversion integrated it becomes slightly more complex to consistently alter on a spreadsheet.

1. Over 50% -> [Total funds / (Total Funds + Blocked funds)] x 100%
  2. Under 50% -> (Total funds / Blocked funds) x 50%

Any help please? Iā€™m just trying to understand when to get out to prevent the automatic close out, at the 25%, in terms of instrument price and total loss, hence the request.

Thank you!

Just limit your position size. Donā€™t overtrade your balance. I usually try to open a position with 65-70% margin left. When market turns against you, you have some room to let it go (if you are confident it will reverse in your favour later), or take your loss.

I have to an extent, however I just wanted to figure out at what point itā€™d automatically close you out in terms of the 25% with regards to relevant instrument price, enabling me to calculate the loss expected, if that makes sense?

In very simplistic terms, if you have a total in your account of Ā£100 and buy a stock for that Ā£100, the account status would be 50%. Does that mean at Ā£90 (45%) itā€™ll notify of a margin call to request more money, but will continue trading as is, and at Ā£50 (25%) Trading212 will close the position to prevent any further losses, so you ultimately go home with 50% (Ā£50 in this case) rather than nothing? All provided the entire Ā£100 balance is used towards the instruments. Is my trend of thought correct on that with regards to the Account Status, or am I far off?

That is what I said earlier. Reduce your position size. When you drop back 25% in margin, you are on a big loss already. Normally you would have closed your position or let a stop do its work.