EU registrations - OPEN

The only ever thing that bothers me with T212 is the share ownership.

Paying withdrawing* (dividend) taxes that I am exempt of is frustrating.

Besides that, of all the solutions iā€™ve tried or seen, it is by far the best in EU.

edit: clarification

1 Like

One big difference between T212 and IBKR is in regard to what would happen on your death.

With T212 your executors can get hold of your money pretty easily. With IBKR there is complex filing to be done with the IRS before your money can be released to your beneficiaries. This is because your shares are US domiciled. This can take as long as a year. An IBKR account at death can create nightmares for your loved ones.

4 Likes

What bothers you about this?

^ this is what bothers me, as previously said :person_shrugging:

Can you not get the documents in place to claim it back? - tax relief?

Governments clearly make things difficult and confusing.

I honestly have no idea šŸ¤·
In my country (NL), foreign dividend withholding taxes that are being paid are discounted as tax relief, but nowhere can i specify for Dutch withholding taxes, since i am not supposed to have any.

But since T212 is a UK client, instead of me, the 15% withholding applies to them.

Hence why I said share ownership is my only bother with 212, it does feel a little bit unfair being subjected to taxes i am exempt from.

If anybody knows a way around it Iā€™m all ears.

That aside, or actually even including that, T212 definitely best broker in EU for most retail accounts.

2 Likes

@Zergui I misunderstood and did not appreciate that you were talking about withholding tax taken on Dutch stocks, not US ones.

Ignore:

I donā€™t think you would have any different experience with another broker. Degiro is Netherlands-based, and they would have to deduct the 15% US withholding tax, just the same as Trading 212. It is all about US law. You are not exempt from this US tax. The US-Netherlands tax treaty is the same as respects US tax of US dividends as the US-UK tax treaty.

1 Like

Are you sure you shouldnā€™t be paying it? Looks like you have a treaty in place to reduce it to 15% šŸ¤·

I just did mention withholding tax on Dutch stocks, didnā€™t i? Yes i did.

When a Dutch company pays me a dividend through ING, or Bux (ABN), I am exempt of withholding tax. Same goes for French REITs.

But through T212, as it is a UK client registered, I end up paying that tax.

Hope this clarifies everything.

Unless anybody wants to add to this specific topic, i would suggest we stop this digression since we are now heavily out of topic :see_no_evil:

Edit: thanks everybody for your inputs on the matter, and apologies if I wasnā€™t clear enough initially.

2 Likes

I think there is a topic for it.
Here: https://community.trading212.com/t/tax-withholded-on-dutch-stock/

2 Likes

Hi everyone, i am a resident of the EU precisely in Italy. I received the long awaited email inviting me to register for a real account. I state that I have a demo account, when I start the registration procedure (with personal data and answer to the various questions on the level of financial education) both from the site and from the web app at the end of all the steps it gives me an error. Reloading the page or redoing the procedure I get the usual ā€œsuspension of account openingā€ message. I ask politely, if this has happened to others as well. And if I have to wait for the team to send me the email.
Thanks to anyone on the team who can give me some answers.

1 Like

Welcome. Maybe someone from @Team212 could help, or @Bogi.H or @Hris.M or @B.E ā€¦

2 Likes

Hey @FraMrt07 :wave:, let me DM you so we can check that together.

1 Like

Even if they will make the shares trasfer option available in the next years that will be only for whole shares. No other broker offers the fractional share transfer option.

Of courseā€¦

You donā€™t really ā€œownā€ the share if you have a fraction of it. They just buy 1 and assign fractions to multiple fractional ownersā€¦

Dear @Tony.V , @admins ,

A friend of mine from Romania to which I promoted T212 to and waited paciently for the onboarding reopening, just tried to open the account and for the currency he can only choose between EUR and RON.

Can you please explain the reason behind this decision from T212 side? He 100% only wants to purchase US listed shared denominated in USD, so this decision is really afecting him.
Even I if ā€œtime machineā€ existed I would start over and create my account in USD instead of RON as I buy 99% of stocks listed on NYSE and NASDAQ.

If this is not possible for now, I would add this as an improvent ideea.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

2 Likes

If you invest in stocks and not day trade them (high turn over) and if you receive your salary in RON, it is still better to have your T212 account in RON and not USD. 0.15% is better than any bankā€™s spread + tax to convert to USD.

Revolut can do this curency exchange for free.
I trust them to do it for my Binance and Mintos account. And because the bank transfer value is in Eur or Usd is also free.

Well, I doubt that Revolut and its FX intermediary and maybe Currencycloud (B2B FX) donā€™t take some from the spread. But itā€™s one of best FX services. :wink:

No free lunchesā€¦

Maybe T212 could use the Revolutā€™s FX intermediaries, like the Currencycloud (recently bought by Visa.)

(Some of UK Fintechs and SEPA transfers werenā€™t allowed in Binance.)

(Still in Mintos after last year debacle and ongoing low interest rates? :wink: )

Dear @Tony.V @admins ,

Can i please get your feedback on my above question?

Thank you.