GraniteShares ETPs – News / Questions & Answers

Why is bitcoin on your sticker? Interesting…

1 Like

we wanted to make a comparison with something people know very well!

Still waiting to execute my order on NIO Long since morning. Market/Price not even moving.

1 Like

I know :pensive:
All new ETPs are quoting well, expect NIO Long, NIO Short and 3SRR (Rolls Royce Short).
I am pushing the market maker to solve it ASAP!

1 Like

No 3LNI :pensive:

1 Like

I know, all our new products are quoted properly… and the one people want the most is not yet ready :frowning:

Believe me, I put the pressure on our Market Maker to have it ASAP.

2 Likes

I just finished a call right now with the Market Maker.
I got the confirmation that NIO pricing will start today at US market opening!

It’s going to be a free for all once that market opens. Brace yourselves!

Thanks

1 Like

NIO is LIVE (finally)

Thank you :pray:
I’ve entered a position now.

1 Like

Hi Mark

Many thanks for launching these great products.

Is it possible to launch the following products as well:

5x Nasdaq in £
5x Ftse 100 in £
5x S&p in £
5x Ftse 250 in £
5x Crude oil in £
5x Tesla in £
5x Airbnb in £
5x Scottish mortgage Trust in £

Also 3x variants of above ETPs as well.

Also the equivalent of above ETPs in 5x short strategy.Also it will be great if you can launch these with smaller face value or allow fractional share trading. As we are small investors.

One of the challenges which I am facing with ETPs is the bid/ask spreads. ETPs are designed for single day trading but if bid ask is more than 1.5 % then the entire profit which we are trying to make in single day is wiped out because of spread. Can you please address this problem?

2 Likes

The same for me, but in EUR, se vous plait. :wink:

Starting next month, buying and selling your USD/GBP ETPs will become more “expensive” for us, +0.15% in every direction. And with wider Bid-Ask Spreads, it’s becomes less attractive to buy foreign currency denominated ETP. → Less transaction volume on ETPs.

2 Likes

A full round (buy & sell) will cost 0.3 % more. Making non domestic currency denominated securities less and less viable.

2 Likes

Dear Singlavipesh
Many thanks for your message.

There is 2 topics within your message:
1- Currency based listing (USD, EUR, GBP… )
2- Leverage factors (5x/-5x).

I will deal with the “currency question” into another message. Having more than 10 years’ experience on Foreign Exchange brokerage and prime brokerage, I will be able to give you a deep and clear answer about it.

About the leverage factors.
First of all, I will forward your message/request to our Head of Product and we are all time happy to have suggestions from investors. Your suggestion comes at the right time because I was discussing with my colleagues to make 5x products, no later than last Friday. At this stage, we are not yet sure about doing 5x for many reasons (I will explain it below).

Doing 5x/-5x is something technically possible for indices like Nasdaq, S&P500 or FTSE.
It is also possible for single stocks or commodities… but it is more risky due to the higher volatility of the underlying asset.
With a 100% collateralised swap-based ETP like GraniteShares ETPs, there is much more possibilities to explore for offering higher leverage than with other kinds of ETP structures.
That’s why we are able to easily provide 3x and -3x ETP whereas other ETP providers cannot do it, even if they would like to (they try, but the cannot).

With 5x ETPs, the risk for investors will be to have frequently Stop Loss event and Early Redemption… and a higher compounding impact. We noticed in the last months that many T212 users did not fully understood Stop Loss event, Early Redemption and Compounding impact…
1st question: Did 5x ETPs will provide more happy investors, or more misunderstanding and dissatisfied investors?

Stop Loss event and Early Redemption are also a cost for the issuer and the market maker, that implies there will naturally be more costs and possibly a wider spread.
I think the cost and wider spread will not be the biggest problem for investors because, even with 2% cost (for example), this 5x/-5x products will be there to deliver +/-25% or +/-30% daily.
But still, this is something must be taken into account.

On the issuer side, we must ensure that there will be enough AUM to cover all the costs, especially the listing costs because for each early redemption, the products will have to be listed again. What is paradoxical is that 5x products will generate a lot of intraday volume, but most probably very low AUM over time (and therefore no income for the issuer, which is based on the AUM). So the question here is, did this products will get enough AUM to cover all the cost linked to higher leverage?

Unlike T212, many brokers did not accept Leveraged products on their platform, especially if the leverage factor is high. All of this must be taken into account by GraniteShares before starting 5x ETPs.

We are exploring it…

1 Like

My previous message is also an open discussion.
Do you think despite what I said that 5x is a good idea?

I think it could be… some of my colleagues at GraniteShares think that it is not.
It will be an interesting chat here :slight_smile:

Let’s start to answer about the currency questions (and ETF/ETP listed in USD, EUR, GBP…). It is not an easy topic, there is a lot of things to say (I will do several messages here). This is also a topic that has been discussed a lot on the T212 forum and on Reddit by the users of Trading212.

As I said in my previous message, I have more than 10 years’ experience on Foreign Exchange brokerage and prime brokerage. So, I am happy to share with you my point of view about it.

T212 will start charging 0.15% for currency change/conversion. Many T212 users think that it is too high or not justified… and I disagree with that statement.

FYI - 0.15% is something between 15 and 20 pips, depending the currency pairs. This is a very fair fee for physical conversion (please do not compare it with 0.5 pip spread that you can have with a FX Margin account… we are not in the same context).

When currency exchange fees come on investor’s side, it is a currency exchange risk on the broker’s side. On the CFD industry (I am not speaking here about T212, but others well-known CFD broker), it is common to have 0.5% or 1% (sometime up to 2%) mark-up on the currency exchange rate. This is to ensure that the broker will not make loses, and “if possible” a small profit on it. So if you trade on Nasdaq CFD with GBP or EUR account, this mark-up will be applied to your PnL… most of the time, without any notice about it and without you being informed.

T212 do not hide the fees and says it publicly (we all know it’s 0.15%). It is at least 4 times lowers that the rate you can have somewhere else. For sure this is not to make a profit on it, but just to ensure not making loses…. otherwise it would be 0.5 or 1% like other brokers do.

When it comes to ETP or ETF listed in multiple currencies … there is one important thing. Currency risk hedged or not?

If it is just EUR or GBP listed ETF/ETP with USD underlying without currency hedged risk, from my point of view, it is not really useful and I will explain it later.
If the currency risk is hedged, it is a real added value… but it will cost more fees (nothing is free on this world).

1 Like

So, I said that not hedged ETP/ETF in multiple currencies is useless and most probably not cost efficent, why?

Let take an example with US underlying ETF or ETP listed in GBP (or EUR) with “Interbank rates”.

First of all, when a company or a broker tells you that you have access to (or you benefit from) interbank rates, this is just a marketing argument and this can hide extra fees which are very difficult to calculate.

Remember that there is no interbank rate like an official currency exchange price. The only “official” currency price is the interbank daily fixing rate, which is determine once a day.

It makes me laugh even more when the one in charge of the conversion is just a single bank (like the market maker of an ETP/ETF issuer). Interbank rate with only one single bank?? There is a lot of chance to have an expensive rate, most probably much more than 0.15%.

Each bank have their own daily fixing price which is not the interbank fixing rate.

What can make sense is: if someone tells you that you get the daily interbank fixing exchange rate or the best interbank daily rate… but only the “interbank rate” => marketing argument.

It is always better to have the fees clearly advertised rather than “zero commission with interbank rate”. Because the bank can very easily give you a price with 100 pips of difference compared to the best price. In a structured product like an ETP, you will never be able to measure it.

USD = Transparency

In any case, if you want more transparency… it is all time better to trade a product in USD if the underlying asset is in USD. That ensure you there is no way to add any hidden fees… And it is even truer when the broker you are using is transparent about the currency exchange fees he is charging (like Trading212 = 0.15%).

I hope I have been clear, keep in mind that I am French :grinning:
If you have question or need clarification, I will be happy to answer here

Thanks for the feedback @Singlavipesh.

While we are exploring the possibilities of launching the products you mentioned, you can have a look on GraniteShares recent offering of FAANG, GAFAM and FATANG ETPs. It’s not a perfect substitute of Scottish mortgage Trust but still you could gain a decent exposure to the tech universe.

1 Like