High Income ETF/Trust

Have to admit this isn’t exactly my cup of tea, but was asked to recommend some.

All I can think of is IUKD - any others/better recommendations? VWRL(1.44%) ?

1 Like

VHYL with 2.92% ? (20chars)

1 Like

Not my cup of tea either but if I was to to build a high-yield portfolio, I’d probably use investment trusts. Yields are higher and they can keep paying through dividend droughts. You’ve got to keep an eye on the premium/discount though, and the costs as some can be 1% plus.

This forum has some useful high-income threads, including this breakdown of ITs by sector: High Yield Investment Trusts - AIC Sector and Yield table (October 2021) - The Lemon Fool

VHYL is my favorite…
Also SPYD, SPYW, HDLV, EXSH

Too bad we can’t have the US dividend etfs.

For High Yield, maybe a MLPs ETF like for example:

Alerian Midstream Energy Dividend UCITS ETF - Dist

The fund seeks to provide diversified exposure to energy companies involved in the processing, transportation and storage of oil, natural gas and natural gas liquids in the US and Canadian market. The fund tracks a dividend-weighted index based on the liquid, dividend-paying portion of the US and Canadian energy infrastructure market and includes MLPs and C-Corps.

https://www.hanetf.com/product/9/fund/alerian-midstream-energy-dividend-ucits-etf-dist

But you could find many other MLPs ETFs, e.g.:

L&G US Energy Infrastructure MLP UCITS ETF

https://fundcentres.lgim.com/uk/professional/fund-centre/ETF/US-Energy-Infrastructure-MLP/?isin_code=IE00BHZKHS06

Invesco Morningstar US Energy Infrastructure MLP UCITS ETF Dist

https://etf.invesco.com/gb/financialprofessional/en/product/invesco-morningstar-us-energy-infrastructure-mlp-ucits-etf-dist/trading-information?audienceType=financialprofessional

EDIT:
The above MLPs ETFs could even be complementary due to their regional exposure:

• HANetf MLP ETF:
Regional Exposure 31/10/2021
Canada 73.16%
United States 26.84%
  • L&G MLP ETF / Invesco MLP ETF:
Regional Exposure
United States 100%
3 Likes

Although distributing ETFs and mutual funds in Europe aren’t so common as in US, there some dedicated UCITS dividends ETFs and mutual funds.

In US, the distributing/dividend paying ETFs and mutual funds are the main type of ETFs/mutual funds due to US investor culture (short-term gain/income strategy).

In Europe, the accumulation ETFs and mutual funds are the preferred type, due to European investor culture (more buy and hold/long term investing), due to be more tax-efficient and also due that gives more return (compounding effect, that rises more as the time horizon is higher).

Probably not High Income. Or not, considering the low interest rates environment. :wink:

A Global REITs ETF:

SPDR® Dow Jones Global Real Estate UCITS ETF (Dist)

The Dow Jones Global Select Real Estate Securities Index is comprised of equity real estate investment trusts (“REITs”) and real estate operating companies (“REOCs”) traded globally. The Index measures the performance of publicly traded real estate securities, and intends to serve as a proxy for direct real estate investment. To be included in the Index, a company must be both an equity owner and operator of commercial and/or residential real estate.

They dont seem particularly diverse for a high yield fund so potentially much riskier than some of the others. VHYL seems a decent bet so far. Going to look at diversity/compare track records and then take things from there.

Risk and High Yield is a tough combination. You must sacrifice something, risk or return.

You can’t compare/expect a Global plain vanilla equity ETF could have a high yield. If you want high yield, you must take also high risk.

It also depends what is for you high yield/income? A yield less than 4-5%/year? There are IG bonds giving more than that.

Just considering “normal” inflation periods of time, you must have a net real return, meaning having an after taxes above inflation rate yield. The “usual”/acceptable US/UK/EU annual inflation rate is around 2%, after paying taxes on the dividends/interest/income, your income must higher than that 2%, if not, you loosing purchasing power (aka, losing money).

Now just see the current “higher” inflation rates in US and UK, and less in EU, that are more than double of the “usual” inflation rate of 2%.

1 Like

Very useful info. They don’t seem very liquid though…

What you mean by “They don’t seem very liquid”? They are ETFs and have market makers. ETFs are more liquid than Investment Trusts.

Are you comparing AUM/volume from old plain vanilla equity ETFs with recent niche/thematic equity ETFs?

AUM (in ETFs/funds) and market cap (stocks) aren’t liquidity metrics. Transaction volume is a metric of liquidity.

Some recent niche ETFs could have more liquidity in some days than older plain vanilla ETFs from big ETF issuers (Vanguard; SPDR). E.g. HANetf Alerian MLP (Inception/Listing Date: 27 July 2020) vs Vanguard (Inception/Listing Date: 21 May 2013):

Source: Investing.com

Yes I just saw the AUM. That is what I meant sorry…

No need for sorry. :wink:

Most people confuses AUM or Market Cap with liquidity. A simple example, you can have stocks from a Large Cap company and they are iliquid because it’s a private company. Or if they have a small free float.

AUM or Market Cap are valuation metrics, how much a fund/ETF or a company are valued.

AUM is the value of the portfolio assets of an ETF/fund.
Market cap, is the market valuation of the company shares (price of each share x quantity of shares).

Sometimes (most of times), ETFs and Investment Trusts could have its prices above/below their AUM (premium/discount).

Currently looking at a combination of the following now:

VHYL 2.92% annually payable end Mar, Jun, Sep, Dec
UKW 5.37% payable end Feb, May, Aug, Nov

Tempted to find something that pays Jan, Apr, Jul, Oct.

Not exactly going to suggest an even split the UKW is a bit bespoke. Might even be an idea to find two different types of ETF/Trust that could build up monthly payments.