How to Prepare for the Upcoming Increase in Margin Requirements

Worked out 5% higher than the calculator predicted, happy days indeed.

Thank you for all your efforts guys !!

1 Like

Youā€™re very welcome!

Are they definitely finished though?

They said they were doing it ā€œgraduallyā€.

1 Like

Imagine if tomorrow it would go from 1:2 to 1:1 is that even possible? Just dont want anymore suprises hah!

They could probably go to 1:1.5! If they went to 1:1, we would just use ISA and INVEST.

Correct on to 53% now

1:2 leverage on CFD is the thin ice for meā€¦ I only have Ā£430 free funds from Ā£8,000 this morning, had to sell some shares donā€™t want to sell anymoreā€¦ letā€™s hope it will stay like that and no more changes

Can you let me know how close the calculator was when all your positions have changed please? You can check for 1:2 (50%) on the Instrument Details page for each stock instrument.

I checked all mine a few minutes ago and McDonaldā€™s, Nikola (short!) and Dropbox hadnā€™t changed.

One more left to change, should bring me to the 50% the calc did

1 Like

This is the list of the 75 stocks that had their margin requirements raised today:

1. NIO
  2. Apple
  3. Tesla
  4. Amazon
  5. Pfizer
  6. Rolls-Royce
  7. Alibaba
  8. Nvidia
  9. AstraZeneca
  10. Palantir
  11. Moderna
  12. IAG
  13. XPeng
  14. Zoom Video
  15. Plug Power
  16. Netflix
  17. Aston Martin
  18. Boeng
  19. Beyond Meat
  20. EasyJet
  21. Royal Dutch Shell
  22. BP PLC
  23. Lloyds
  24. Microsoft
  25. Cineworld
  26. Boohoo
  27. Adyen
  28. Virgin Galactic
  29. Ocado
  30. Workhorse
  31. Barclays
  32. Salesforce
  33. Facebook
  34. Fastly
  35. FuelCell Energy
  36. HSBC
  37. Carnival
  38. Novavax
  39. TUI
  40. Gamestop
  41. JDcom
  42. Advanced Micro Devices
  43. Exxon
  44. Docusign
  45. Daimler
  46. BioNTech
  47. Xiaomi
  48. Rocket Companies
  49. Peloton
  50. Aurora Cannabis
  51. Cocrystal Pharma
  52. Inovio Pharma
  53. Wirecard
  54. Switchback Energy
  55. Tullow Oil
  56. Blink Charging
  57. Tilray
  58. GoPro
  59. Capita PLC
  60. Hyliion Holdings
  61. Newborn Acquisition
  62. Aurora Cannabis CAD
  63. Fisker
  64. Kaixin Auto
  65. NEL
  66. Jumia Technologies
  67. Ideanomics
  68. Landcadia Holdings II
  69. Teladoc
  70. Whitbread
  71. Saga
  72. Kandi Technologies
  73. VivoPower International
  74. Piedmont Lithium
  75. CBL & Associates
3 Likes

@David - Is UK100 INDEX not getting its leverage changed?

@Spirica4you During our initial announcement we said that the change would affect only stocks. No other type of instrument (commodity, index, ETF, or currency) will have its margin adjusted.

1 Like

Hi Supraman,

Mine was spot on to the calculator from 70% down to 46% just as predicted without adding funds or selling. Thanks for your help with this, I was a little confused by the 212 explanation, yours was much better. Do you work for Trading 212? I am assuming not as you have been so helpful to everyone,

Thank You

Cheers James

3 Likes

Thanks for this list @David. Thatā€™s not them all though, is it? Are you updating the rest tomorrow?

https://helpcentre.trading212.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015994797-List-of-Stocks-With-Increased-Margin-Requirements Does this mean more will be added or only these?

FYI, I applied this technique to my account and that of my wife too. Both accounts contain a mixture of stocks, commodities and indexes, with both long and short positions.

The prediction for me was 37%. I ended up with 38%.
The prediction for my wife was 61%. She ended up with 61%. SNAP!

I believe the 1% difference in the prediction for my account was simply due to price fluctuations.

So Iā€™m fairly convinced that the technique is valid and can be used if this ever happens again!

2 Likes

Of course the priority list is the mostly traded or held stocks. :joy::joy::joy:

Hi James.

Thanks very much for the kind words. I really appreciate you taking the time to give such positive feedback.

Iā€™m glad you found the information useful and Iā€™m especially pleased that the calculator you used was accurate. As you know, it was @obrienciaran and @Richard.W who created the calculators. I was just the ā€œproject managerā€. :wink:

No, I donā€™t work for Trading 212. I just thought I would share what I learned when I was figuring out what was going to happen to my account.

I see itā€™s still not possible to buy Tesla (TSLA) shares. I wonder when that will change.

1 Like

Whole thing has been handled very poorly.

1 Like

Hey, sorry if I missed it but has there been any clarity on how temporary the margin change is going to be? Iā€™m currently trading with XTB, but I miss T212 already. Canā€™t wait to return when the marginā€™s go back to normal.