Temporary BUY Restrictions on Illiquid OTC Penny Stocks

T212 need to get your act together.

1 Like

Yes you are. What do you think it happens to the price of a stock if hundreads or thousands of people are restricted from buying it and only able to sell? Price will go down, thatā€™s just simple logic and to me that is the real market manipulation because you are indeed interfering with the normal function of the ā€œfreeā€ market and taking the freedom away from the people to take their own decisions, either buy or sell, that this can be done more than once with no consequences shows a level of corruption on the open market that I find outrageous and disgusting. It shouldnā€™t be allowed for anyone to interfere with the ā€œfreeā€ market like this, period, and if it happens there should be imediate serious consequences.

So, yes you can and probably will lose money when the availability to buy is not there, with the price going down and you not able to take the opportunity to avarege down or help the stock to go up by buying it. The only thing you can do is sit and watch it to go down or hope that it goes up because enough people are buying on other brokers, which is risky and unlikely, when the buy option is out you have no control and are pretty much forced to either sell or lose money. Again, to me thatā€™s the real manipulation. Allowing normal people to buy risky penny stocks or whatever they want with their own money is not manipulation, instead, itā€™s in fact the main purpose and function of a broker, give people access to the financial market and allowing them to buy and sell what they want, nothing else. Also, is funny to see that the buy option is often only taking out when a stock is having a good run and people are starting profiting from it.

I can understand that T212 has to take this action to avoid being investigated by regulators and put their business in danger, but do not try to justify their actions saying that deciding what people can or cannot do with their own money in the open market is ok and that removing the buy option wonā€™t affect the price and people wonā€™t lose their money, thatā€™s just not true, do not spread misinformation, please.

6 Likes

Restricted: clwd, sgsi, shrg, bant, kwbt, gtch, llkkf, rezzf, abepf, eusp, gldff, clis, iinx, srna, tlss, prcx, dsgtā€¦and who knows how many more. This is not possible. How much we have to wait

6 Likes

there are many more that you can buy or sell but execution of order can take forever.

should I assume from your use of ā€œfreeā€ that you understand the limitations imposed on the so called ā€œfree marketā€? or are you making an argument from a position of convenience because this has had a negative impact on your ability to turn a profit?

When will you update this, as currently IB have LLKKF and CLWD available for trade?

2 Likes

ā€œFreeā€ word is within quotes on purpose to highlight the fact that the market is not free when restrictions to buy or sell are applied, free market to me means that you are able to either buy or sell any quantity of any security you want whatever the price and risk involved, you are FREE to take your own decisions and of course accept whatever consequences come from them, that is what freedom in the market really means.

My ability to turn a profit or not is not relevant, it doesnā€™t matter if I have or not a position in any of the stocks affected by T212 restrictions, that wasnā€™t my point. My point is, when a broker interfere (yes I consider halting or restricting trading during open market hours as interference/manipulation of the market) by restricting people from either buy or sell, it is in fact taking away from the people their freedom to make their own decisions, because now you are only able to do what your broker allows (wants) you to do. When that happens you cannot talk about free market anymore, under those conditions you cannot say that the market is free because it isnā€™t.

13 Likes

Anyone know why i cant invest in TAUG? " Taug has been limited to selling shares only" i sold other stock shares so i can buyā€¦ you have to warn us that we cant before we press the button.

so every time the exchanges enact trading halts to the market you would claim they are manipulating the market too? or are you exclusively focusing on brokers?

the reason there is no such thing as a ā€œfree marketā€ is because there is always a cost. unless you trade directly at the exchange, you have to follow the rules and restrictions of your broker, which includes any technical/regulatory issues they face. you are free to make your own decisions, so long as it conforms with what the exchange, brokers and regulators permit. you cannot place order types they do not support, you cannot trade stocks they do not list et cetera.

when you make an account you agree to the brokers terms to use their service to access the market. in those terms you agree to the brokers right to restrict or remove access to any stock at any given time, at their discretion. If you no longer agree with the terms, you are free to move your funds and close your account without any barriers. it is all there in the documents you should have read when opening an account, including the many emails sent regarding updates to the terms.

In short:
there was never a free market as you envisioned it and you always had to do what the broker allows you. That has not changed.

1 Like

We agree then, there is no free market, claiming otherwise is either naive or hypocrisy. Itā€™s a shame though, for some time I relish on the idea that was free, the idea that regardless of who you are and how much money you have, in the financial market if you make a bad decision you lose and if you make a good decision you win was a beautiful one and the main reason I became so interested and passionate about the market, in my eyes it was one of the few things in the world that was fair and mericrotic. Well, I have no illusions anymore, there is no free market and I can live with that and probably still profit from it but what upsets me is market makers, brokers, regulators still trying to pass the idea that it is free when they change the rules of the game whenever is convinent to them.

There are some thing I disagree with you though, this gonna be a long one:

ā€œthe reason there is no such thing as a ā€œfree marketā€ is because there is always a costā€ - What cost are you referring to? Are you trying to say that because brokers have their own expenses while doing business and still need to make a profit that excuse them from disabling people to take their own decisions regarding what to do with their own money? Thatā€™s a really bad excuse in my opinion, if they struggle they can always charge their customers in order to give them a better service, yeah, I know, it wouldnā€™t be a good idea on T212 case, but still, I would rather have to pay more for a better service. Also, they have means to make their money (otherwise wouldnā€™t make sense to be in business) taking some pennies for every security transaction on their platform and now charging 0.7% fee on any transactions for depositis through debit/credit card and borrowing shares to short. If thatā€™s not enough they can decide to charge more to their customers, most brokers do it, making their business model a free broker is their decision not ours.

ā€œyou are free to make your own decisions, so long as it conforms with what the exchange, brokers and regulators permitā€ - Meaning, you are not free.

ā€œIf you no longer agree with the terms, you are free to move your funds and close your account without any barriers. it is all there in the documents you should have read when opening an account, including the many emails sent regarding updates to the termsā€ - changing the terms after people having trusted them with a considerable part of their saving to me itā€™s not nice or fair to say the least. I think you are deliberately oversimplifying the situation, the process of chosing and moving to a new broker can be long and tedious for some people, if you want to do it right you better of reading their terms for no suprises (like the ones we have with the T212 emails you talked about with updates on the terms) this reading is far from fun and seriously, if you are doing things right you should look to get into long positions when the stock is undervalue, the entry price is key on the return you get on your investment, buy a good stock at the wrong price and you wonā€™t get very far. Now, consider the following hypothetical situation, I bought a stock at 5Ā£ and now itā€™s sitting at 10Ā£, Iā€™m deeply invested on it and still believe the stock will go up big time in the coming years, as result Iā€™m planning to hold it for long time. T212 changes/updates their terms with which I donā€™t agree, do you really think is pratical or smart to close my position so I can move funds to other broker just because I donā€™t agree with the changes T212 decided to make on their terms after I open an account with them? and lose all the return on my investment as result. As you see things are not that simple as ā€œif you are no longer happy you are free to moveā€, a lot of people once they start putting money into a broker they plan to keep their money for a long time not moving it or taking it out next year.

ā€œthere was never a free market as you envisioned it and you always had to do what the broker allows you. That has not changed.ā€ - We agree on that still doesnā€™t make it right and maybe itā€™s time to change. I cannot understand how you so easily accept and even try to justify things that to me sound so wrong and unfair. Just because something is wrong and have been wrong for a long time doesnā€™t mean we should accept it and leave it like that forever. Hopefully with the new wave of retail investors, people being more aware and interested in the financial markets we can start to see some changes in the future.

3 Likes

The situation is getting worse today even iqst restrictedā€¦im gonna change broker when i can probably. Thank you t212

2 Likes

Yes I know there is probably a million threads like this but is there ANY way that the stock with the ticker ā€œIQSTā€ could have sell only mode turned off? They arenā€™t even an illiquid stock??? Itā€™s market cap is pretty big and I donā€™t see any reason to do this like there was with some other tickers?

Please

2 Likes

Incredible. Right now t212 is the reason why i cant make money.

Itā€™s also penny stock exempt. Seriously what is this???

1 Like

Come on guys, really, limit IQST?
Either offer it and keep it open, or donĀ“t offer it in the first place.
Everyone investing should do their own DD and know the risks. Some are willing to risk more with a higher potential upside.
Limiting it to sell only is just silly and will clean up your waiting list rapidly. Because people will leave because of this.

3 Likes

Yep I left today. So done with t212.

2 Likes

@David are you guys given any indication of when said investigation will be over?

And will the end of such mean the tickers are freed up to purchase again?

Thanks

5 Likes

Agree, only a matter of time you will only be able to trade certain stocks.

1 Like

How is this even a thing to block a stock for such a long time while everyone else can trade it?!

3 Likes

If you are not going to lift these restrictions give our money back that we spent on these stocks and remove them from your platform.

3 Likes