Temporary BUY Restrictions on Illiquid OTC Penny Stocks

Allowing only selling the position when a big majority of retails customers cant buy the stock doesnā€™t allow the stock to potentialy rise in price with more investors, or give the end user much of an option but to take a loss.

Many of these companies may not have risen in price, but the interruption to normal trading has stifled any chance of someone gaining back any lost profits and their only option is to lose money.

This situation doesnā€™t need people pointing out customers poor investment choices, it needs resolving and the restrictions lifted or just stop offering this service if the broker cant fulfil the trades what other brokers can.

By the way, I have minimal funds invested which are restricted, if I lost that money today I wouldnā€™t notice it, but I find this stituation unfair and out of principle and for my trust to grow when taking up these positions it would be nice to have some confidence in the service offered, or rather not offered at this time.

I still think its pretty poor 212 hasnā€™t updated their customers in so long.

2 Likes

Maybe there arenā€™t any news. Maybe IBKR didnā€™t give any news to T212, and T212 canā€™t also give any.

The iliquid stocks have a lot of problems. And any stock could be suspended or limited in any aspect by the regulators, especially the micro/small caps and the OTC traded stocks. So brokers canā€™t do anything to avoid.

1 Like

Next time my customers are waiting for me to deliver something to them, I just wonā€™t update them. Let them guess that I still care, or am trying to procure the stock or resolve the hold up. Thatā€™ll go down well :man_shrugging:

Just because 212 havenā€™t been able to resolve the issue, doesnā€™t mean they cant reassure or check in with their customer base now and then, and share what steps they have taken recently to resolve this, or explain that they are still at stalemate with their intermiediary.

Good communication goes a long way, and at least reassures people their situation is not being ignored or forgotten about.

If they anticipate this situation is not going to be resolved in the short term, I mean 6 months isnā€™t that short, but lets say another 3 months, then people might actually decide to cut their loses.

Also other brokers are trading some of these stocks, so its not purely an illiquid stock issue or implausible this can be resolved.

The last actual update I can see from a staff member regards this was back in April.

Updates were to be posted in this thread it says, and it was not due to liquidity on the whole as the main issue.

3 Likes

Perhaps there is no communication, simply because there is no update? Would a simple ā€˜no updateā€™ from the broker/regulator suspension be sufficient once a fortnight or so?

Or, perhaps a checkbox on the stock, so you could get an ā€˜in appā€™ message, once itā€™s available again, or if there are any regulatory news/announcements?

We have to remember it is in the interest of both broker and customer to allow the purchase of securities. Itā€™s not helping 212 not allowing us to buy certain stocks, instead itā€™s giving them more grief. Itā€™s a bit like going into a supermarket and complaining thereā€™s no bread in stock, no one knowing when they will have it back in stock.

Itā€™s well known that irregular trading activity throws up flags either by the regulator, and/or the brokers own controls, and we are at the mercy of InteractiveBroker and the regulators.

Brokers have to show they have ā€˜appropriate controlsā€™ to the regulators in order to maintain their licence. This can include suspending stocks, while the source of trade activity is investigated, much to our annoyance but it is for our protection.

Through a GIA you can use multiple brokers and try different places. I think 212 grant us access to the most stocks out of the fintech platforms. Perhaps it would be easier for them not to offer these stocks at all, and set a minimum 90 day average liquidity level before adding, but that is not in the spirit of this community.

That all said, the market and regulations need to change with the times. I say let people buy what they want and they will learn through experience. There has been a massive influx of retail investors in the markets which is firing a lot of trading halts with the old rules on certain stocks, and we have to admit some of this retail activity we all know is market manipulation.

Perhaps you could help the community by starting a petition with the regulators to review the restrictions and gather retail support?

3 Likes

Hey T212 team, any updates on this at all, as you mentioned it was due to volumes coming out of this platform, surely there has been 0 volume on said stocks for the last 6 months so things are skewed the other way? Can no longer obviously be a volume issue? I just want to buy more and enjoy the platform otherwise :cowboy_hat_face:
Surely there is no longer any risk of suspension with such a long ban?

Any idea at all on time lines for this to drag on?

Cheers

Ali

Reading between the lines from official posts here and there, it seems IBKR doesnā€™t hold T212 in high regard as a client, and doesnā€™t make much of an effort to interact with them on a support level.

Maybe iā€™m wrong.

2 Likes

Well IBKR is one of the biggest brokers in the world, and T212 is a small fish in the scope of things.

Itā€™s not quite like a small seller on Amazon or eBay trying to get them to do something, but I doubt they have much influence.

T212 need IBKR, whilst IBKR could nuke T212s deal and not flinch.

3 Likes

Yep, there is also conflict of interest, as T212 is also competing with IBKR.

IBKR is a supplier and a competitor of T212ā€¦

2 Likes

I guess this is related with penny stocks in OTC market hmmm.

5 Likes

Just to chip in here, the suspension on LLKKF is also on selling, I know because Iā€™ve tried and Iā€™ve had direct communication with T212 about it.

And is that an isolated error, do you know?

They were suspended for a while months ago but that was lifted.

EDIT: Or perhaps the blacklisting as mentioned a few posts up?

In my case, I was able to sell many of my other OTC stocks that were in close-only mode.

LLKKF used to be marked as close-only and it was only after I reported that it couldnā€™t be sold was the messaging changed to a suspension.

Seems like it is isolated but I canā€™t say for certain.

EDIT: LLKKF hasnā€™t been blacklisted as itā€™s trading on other platforms, if thatā€™s what you were referring to.

That platforms could have different access to the markets and LLKKF. The image above shows a picture about the T212/IKBR and Citadel case.

1 Like

What so they will allow you to ā€˜closeā€™ a position, only if you transfer it to another broker? Thatā€™s a bit weird.

How irregular was the trading?

Thanks for the reference.

What IBKR is explaining there sounds rather unusual, and a little suspicious, but Iā€™m no expert on the matter, thatā€™s just my gut feeling.

How irregular could the trading have been compared to many other OTC and non-OTC tickers? And what is the definition of irregular here, haha, sounds vague.

2 Likes

Or it could be clever. The company that placed the trading halt might recognise it is from a specific sub section of their customer book and place the ban on that(I think sells should always be allowed).

As a workaround they are proposing moving the record to another location to allow the sale.

It is good that they are providing a workaround; something is better than nothing.

However, personally for the size of my position, there would be no value in me migrating my position as itā€™ll probably cost me more in transfer fees than the value of my investment if it was even possible. I suspect many other T212 investors in LLKKF will be in the same position.

Iā€™ve resigned myself to the fact that that investment is a loss. To hedge against future suspensions and trade restrictions on the OTC tickers through T212, I use a different platform for any new OTC positions.

1 Like

With regards to LLKKF being suspended from trading, does that mean current holders will not receive the ā€œBonus Optionsā€, or proceeds from the sales if they are liquidated by T212?

Iā€™m also surprised by the responses from IBKR in the above posts related to LLKKF as it appears to be in good standing (penny stock exempt, current financials etc), with OTC Markets. I will try to create an order in IBKR later to see if that goes through.

https://www.otcmarkets.com/stock/LLKKF/overview

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment on this.

1 Like

Weā€™ve reactivated purchasing of the following securities although with limited quantities, initially at least.

1. Frontier Lithium - 100 shares
  2. Heritage Southeast BankCorp - 12 shares
  3. NanoXplore - 30 shares
  4. Texas Mineral Resources - 160 shares
  5. Perpetual Federal Savings Bank - 2 shares
  6. Sysorex - 115 shares

The number of shares indicates the maximum position size one can accumulate. If you have a position equal to or larger than the limit, your position will not be closed or reduced, you just will not be able to purchase any additional shares. Weā€™re in the process of reactivating buying additional securities that have a market cap of above $50 mln.
Also, the buying limits currently in place will not be constant, theyā€™ll likely increase over time although slightly.

9 Likes

Why we donā€™t have any update on the charts for LLKKF ? I understood that we should wait to do what we want with our money which is in my opinion total madness but to have the charts blocked ??? When will we have this problems solved . As a company you should provide more answers and solutions to this kind of problems .

2 Likes