Temporary BUY Restrictions on Illiquid OTC Penny Stocks

Hi Ryan - not my point, of course Iā€™d prefer to sell given the option. The point is if they give the option to sell they should give the option to buy.

1 Like

But if you read their message, if they donā€™t suspend buying on these instruments then they risk being suspended by exchanges / market makers / liquidity providers, likely from both buy and sell. So by proactively suspending buy while the situation is worked on, they can keep the sell option.

1 Like

Yeah I donā€™t blame T212 - Iā€™d rather they be kept in the game of course. But these higher powers donā€™t restrict sell, only buy, forcing the market in one direction until it balances out in the ā€˜correctā€™ peopleā€™s favour. Same reason Iā€™ve seen certain stocks recently halted constantly in dramatic rise which stops it rising higher, but on dramatic loss thereā€™s no halt and theyā€™re happy to let it drop. These investigations just play into regulators hands and thereā€™s nothing the average joe can do about it if they want to invest in certain stocks, as should be their right

1 Like

Sorry but you havenā€™t done enough due diligence if you didnā€™t realise the risks around HCMC. Complaining about market manipulation and higher powers isnā€™t an excuse for trying to gamble on a stock like HCMC.

3 Likes

Just seen LITOF, ABEPF and REZZF have been restricted, anyone know the others?

1 Like

and now BANT has been restricted too. How can they do this, the price was dropping this week which has been great to average down, and now I am blocked from buying more. Totally disgraceful.

T212, you need to get used to the new world of traders. With instant access to news, Google alerts, social media, YouTube etcā€¦ you are bound to have an influx of traders wanting the most current stocks (whether they are priced below a penny or as high as Amazon)

This is our money to spend, we should be allowed to spend it on what we want, not be dictated by what corporations think we should want.

4 Likes

Any idea how long the investigations tend to take? I got into CLIS today and indent to hold long term but it is a bit annoying knowing that itā€™s likely to move down now because attention will look elsewhere while itā€™s restricted.

Honestly what difference is there between a retailers moving a price and a HF moving a price with larger buy and sell orders?
Again it slightly feels like the rules are being changed to protect the HFā€™s and screwing the small retailers by not allowing them trade in the ā€œfree marketā€

2 Likes

Perhaps some of these new traders also need to have at least a basic understanding of how the stock market works rather than just complaining?

It works both ways ie T212 has a responsibility to its customers but also the law; customers have a responsibility to understand what they are investing in and the rules in place.

1 Like

Exactly my point. HFs had too much power, and got away with it. But now because retail are teaming up they can do the same and now the whole market is at risk.

My view is there should be a minimum holding period for everyone. And if you want to trade. It must be done with contracts which have no impact on the underlying asset. Not exactly a free market but I think itā€™s just good for longer term holding because people know when they enter a position they canā€™t exit for 3 days for example.

I understand - however Iā€™m a little annoyed Iā€™ve had my ā€˜Sell orderā€™ pending for ages when trying to get rid of these type of stocks. Surely if no-one can buy them - they should be able to be sold immediately ??

1 Like

Yeah, I want to sell them and itā€™s extremely laggy (both market and limit order).

@dabear Let me clarify again ā†’ this is not something we want to do, this is something weā€™re being required to do.

Weā€™re fine with the new reality and retail trading activity. However, regarding specific types of activities, regulators & exchanges donā€™t seem to share our opinion.

@Gazb2 OTC stocks arenā€™t very liquid, there could be significant delays in execution. Most penny stocks have volumes only in the tens or hundreds of thousands a day. For comparison, Teslaā€™s currently at $45 billion since the market open today.

5 Likes

@David would you mind updating this thread please

Also re the above if everyone canā€™t buy because brokers are putting in these restrictions because they are being told they are required to do, how will sellers be able to sell? Doesnā€™t this kill an already illiquid stock further by having no liquidity whatsoever? :thinking:

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s T212s fault Iā€™m just curious to know arenā€™t they manipulating the stock by nuking the liquidity in trying to pre-empt any pump and dump attempt.

2 Likes

So to clarify, Trading212 have been given an order to cease all trading on penny stocks temporarily?

If this is so, then please provide details of this order and by whom it was issued.

3 Likes

Itā€™s all sorted and sold now - thanks! :slight_smile:

Scroll to the top comment, everything is there - no need to flood the topic with meaningless questions.

T212, you need to get used to the new world of traders.

Apparently itā€™s the regulators and market makers who need to get used to the new world of traders, which Trading 212 is enabling.

2 Likes

Actually, i think you need to read the first post, it does not mention anything about what demand or by who. It vaguely outlines a suggestion.

The problem I have is, they allow you to trade part of the day and then suddenly block it. If this was for every penny stock with low liquidity then they should be blocked before or after market - NOT during and NOT over several days.

@David please can you provide a rough timescale for when your investigation will be over

1 Like

So why is trading212 the only broker that has restricted buying on these pennystocks? All the other platforms allows you to buy these stocks including IBKR

Yes I agree with the above point. Why are other brokers being allowed to trade these pennies then? And what is the estimated timeline for this investigation.