Baillie Gifford [discussion] 📃

I’ve never looked into KIT, nice looking dividend.

I may check them out. I’m hoping BGUK pulls its socks up soon

With the current high price of Tesla, I thought it would have a bigger weighing in SMT. I think they’ve trimmed it. In my memory the last time I’ve checked it was more than 12 % of the SMT fund. From the December’s Factsheet. If true, I have to say I’m really happy about it. :blush:

2 Likes

Correct. :slight_smile:.

Thankfully @Obrienciaran posted the holdings in November :smiley: and it shows Tesla at 12% for SMT and 9% for BG USA.

2 Likes

Looking at SMT and BGCG:

SMT is at a 0.4% discount to NAV:
imagen

BGCG is still at a large, 8.5% premium to NAV:
imagen

They’ll need to. They’ll have internal controls to ensure their position in Tesla does not exceed a certain level. At 12% I’d guess that was way too high for them so they have to sell off a chunk to bring it back within acceptable tolerances.

For similar but opposite reasons you’ll no doubt find they’ve been buying up more BABA with its price having tanked a fair bit recently.

1 Like

Crazy numbers! :open_mouth:

Electric car maker was $6 a share when Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust started buying, now it’s $846

Anderson said Scottish Mortgage had used the funds realised by selling Tesla to buy into other future tech firms, such as Swedish green battery maker Northvolt.

3 Likes

Yes I notice in the China Fund from BG that they keep BABA and Tencent about 9-10% each, so reckon they would have loaded up on some cheaper stuff. Equally though if it goes on a tear up 20-30% will they trim that short term gain? not so sure but who knows. Generally sems mostly top holdings are 9-10%

That’s right @Hbomb , they’ll have a certain upper and lower threshold they need to stick between and so will buy and sell accordingly.

1 Like

Shares Magazine 21/01/21 on BG US Growth:
"…has been helped by a strong showing for American equities but it has demonstrated an impressive ability to outperform.

As such we are sitting on a gain of more than 100% after flagging a positive view on the trust in August 2019.

The portfolio, which includes listed and unlisted US companies, recorded a share price and net asset value (NAV) return of 50.8% and 53.8% respectively in the six months to 30 November, well ahead of the 11.1% total return from its benchmark, the S&P 500.

Numis comments: ‘The fund is differentiated from its peers by a focus on disruptive growth stocks, and the ability to invest up to 50% of the portfolio in unquoted securities.’

Investec says traditional equity investors continue to face challenges in achieving exposure to a new generation of companies with superior growth characteristics that are choosing to stay unlisted for longer.

‘Meanwhile, many equity market incumbents are increasingly growth-challenged and/or overly indebted,’ it adds. ‘We believe that Baillie Gifford US Growth provides a highly effective and cost- effective solution to these challenges.’"

2 Likes

Good listen on the positive change fund.

2 Likes

Love their podcast - cheers for sharing

Ah didnt realise they have a podcast, will check it out.

What’s everyone’s views on being long on BGUK?

1 Like

Personally I use performance to drive my decisions and unfortunately UK funds really haven’t been in the game all that much when compared to others.

Might change with the eventual recovery but I’ve no idea what the BGUK holdings look like so unsure if it would benefit from recovery any great deal.

2 Likes

As you can imagine, the holdings are not very exciting and heavily financially biased.

I just like to keep diversified with a bit of exposure to different economies, and the UK doesn’t make it all that easy to be honest.

I guess the old saying you can’t flog a dead horse comes to mind.

That being said there are some good prospects in the UK but they don’t look to be in that fund.

I see some decent upside for UK equities. The recovery has been slower than others. Just not sure if this is the fund to outperform others.

1 Like

To be honest I had a look just now and I dont really like most of the holdings. I would prefer a FTSE 100 index probably, but my personal choice with UK particularly is hold certain stocks as UK as some plays that are simple if you looking for certain things.

For example some of my UK stocks and reasonings:

BP - Oil rebound play, decent dividend while I wait. Also hedges my NEE somewhat.
HSBC (or other UK bank) - Rebound/Dividend reinstatement play.
GSK - high yield dividend at current prices, see upside growth in next 6-24 months.

If BP and HSBC do what I think they will then I will trim them down as these will become too big a portion of portfolio in coming months/years so at that point I would use the profit to put into less rebound play stocks.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve got a few UK stocks such as Legal and General, Diageo, Lloyds, ASOS and THG.

I took a look at GSK and it’s like a yo-yo but you’re right at it’s current price it should be pretty solid

But I think you’re right that BGUKs actual holdings aren’t particularly great.

On your point on indexes that’s pretty much my plan next year to fill my portfolio with more indexes to hold for 30 years or so (all being well)

Have you came a cross any UK funds that look tasty at all?

I’ve simply been buying the FTSE for my exposure to UK equities. It might not have the same returns as some active funds but it matches my risk appetite im happy to keep it simple.

2 Likes

That mirrors my sentiment for next year on indexes as a whole