Baillie Gifford [discussion] 📃

I know. It seems to be in constant freefall mode for over a week now.

@Hbomb I actually sold my BP position for profit as to buy this dip on SMT. And it still went down more!

The potential danger with SMT is that it does hold a large amount of companies with extremely high multiples.

That may mean that just because it’s lower than it’s previous highs may not mean it’s still discounted if there is this rotation.

For instance, a number of stocks would of risen say 300% in a year, that isn’t normal.

What I’m really getting at is the floor may be a fair bit lower.

If you look over a long period of time are DCAing then it may not be too much of an issue as this will always be the risk with those kind of stocks.

1 Like

Very true. I have more or less become numb to stocks rising 100+%, have multiple of 100s of price/earnings ratio etc. and am now seeing this as the norm!

I’m definitely looking very long term on SMT so not too worried about this drop. In fact if it could continue until the 24th when pay day comes around that would be fantastic.

It’s anybody’s guess where the floor will be, but I think you’re right, we could have a lot further to drop.

I think that’ll be the same for most people. Particularly new people like myself.

I would of speculated around the 200 day but this is where technical analysis will fail and it’ll be pretty random

It’s now through the 200 day image

1 Like

Yeah to be honest I dont know much about charts but often use simple things like RSI, MA like above etc. And it seems SMT and others like some china focuse ETFs have all smash through their moving averages going down so hard to know, do ETFs have resistance levels like single stocks? surely bit different as they represent so many parts. Whereas some single stocks you can see it really never goes below certain levels or parts of the MA so can indicate buying oppountunities. With ETFs or indexes etc I find just averaging in to be only way I know.

My SIPP RI is due in a few days so I’m rubbing my hands at this.

For anyone worried about this, ask yourself what SMT is to you. Is it a long term hold? If so, ask your self what that means to you also, or are you more active than that and are looking to rotate with the tides or the momentum?

If this is any way a circa 5 year hold, then you aren’t doing yourself any favours worrying about a 30% drop. If you think there won’t be any drops of this size in a 5 year period, you’re kidding yourself.

4 Likes

I would say you could use the RSI and SMA etc still for ETFs as people look at them for indexes for example

1 Like

And they literally say on the website that you should hold for 5 years minimum too. So even the fund managers are saying this must be a long term play!

2 Likes

I think that’s just what all fund managers say in fairness.

Not in BGs case but they’ll be a lot of trashy funds that hide behind that so I’m always a bit dubious.

Disclaimer:- my job role makes me distrustful :man_facepalming::joy:

1 Like

Haha, now we are all wondering what your job is, police detective? :smiley:

But yeah there is an argument that a good CEO of individual stock is more trustworthy (from shareholder point of view) than fund managers, just the way people earn their fees etc as often CEOs benefit from rising stock prices (ideally justified stock rises!) but fund managers unless I am wrong get the small (but large in total) fees they get somewhat regardless on performance.

1 Like

I’m afraid I cannot publicly disclose this… just kidding, it’s far more boring. I work in a commercial role in engineering so people are always trying to take my money, or not give me enough. Or trying to stitch me up with silly clauses in long contracts, albeit I need to do it to others from time to time :man_shrugging:t2:

You’re right in some ways here. But the larger a fund manager can increase the fund, the larger the portion that small percentage is attributed too.

In other news SMT toyed with the 200 day and seemed to bounce. Maybe it’s a coincidence, or maybe not.

Any views on this news? https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL4N2LH2B3

1 Like

Meh. Tom Slater is the power behind the throne :wink:

I think they were a good combo, but let’s see how the duo with Lawrence will perform.

Lots of overlap between SMT and Lawrence’s fund (International Concentrated Growth Equity Fund) which I’m sure was part of the decision for his appointment. Note Anderson is also a co-manager with Lawrence of this fund.

Tom Slater is the looks behind the fund, so they’ll still have that :wink:

International Concentrated Growth Equities Fund (Lawrence, Anderson, and Slinwinska) top 10 as of Dec 31st 2020:

Scottish Boomers (Anderson, Slater, Lawrence) top 10 as of Feb 28th 2021

6 out of 10 match.

Links where the screenshots are from:
Scottish Grannies Stamp Club:
https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/individual-investors/funds/scottish-mortgage-investment-trust/
International Concentrated Growth Equities Fund
https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/usa/professional-investor/funds/baillie-gifford-international-concentrated-growth-equities-fund/

1 Like

Some of the IT’s are trading at a rare discount. Is anyone else using this as an opportunity to top up for longer term holds?

https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/0P00008ZPP/performance

https://www.theaic.co.uk/companydata/0P00008ZOB/performance

I have an R.I. set up so always. :slight_smile:

It seems that SMT portfolio rebalancing has placed three of the biggest chinese companies in top 10: Tencent, Alibaba, Meituan. Although I agree that these are great companies, does anyone fear that with the current sell-off + scrutiny with chinese stocks it may harm significantly the portfolio performance?

Not with a long term view no.

2 Likes

My standing order should hit my account tomorrow. Definitely topping up.