CFD spread means I’m nearly a margin call as soon as I’ve bought

@obrienciaran No 20000 shares, they were approx 30p each, thank god not 20k… but yes i was surprised as not intended, the chart box wasn’t even opened fully it was just in the search box, and i opened it just to read some instrument details to decide on whether i wanted it full screen… hoovered over the icon but it didn’t say anything, thought i’d press it for more info and BAM 20,000 shares purchased.

i was lucky as it went into profit soon after and a very cheap share, likely a feature (icon info) T212 could introduce.

1 Like

I bought at 2036 GMT for 1.685. Sell was/is about 1.477

1 Like

Ok that’s not AS bad.

1 Like

Because there people who SHORT and use margin in this platform. CFD is the only place to do that and we do not have an option NOT to use margin like other platforms do. Also, not everyone likes to play buy and hold and or swing Long only.

Woah hang on he clearly said that in jest. There’s really no need to jump in and start defending using CFD at all.

CFD has its place, as in going short on BOXL would be a good move as it’s still bleeding out from the pump and dump.

Everyone is a bit uptight tonight. :grimacing:

2 Likes

@Hectares @Lewdy

I think we’ve all got a story like this. I turned off one click trading after accidentally purchasing 5000 polish złoty!

Have to chalk it up as a learning experience I suppose

2 Likes

Because somone may find a way to profit.

People dont want trade212 going “right we’re only going to let you use instruments with a tight spread, or x.y PE, or Z market cap” they just want trade212 to give them access to the broadest possible market and they will make the choices they want within that market.

It’s sad your accident happened on a wide spread instrument but that instrument not being there wouldn’t have stopped the accident. Heck you might have done it on something that dropped instantly after and lost everything or this could be a thread saying “whoop just accidentally paid off my mortage”.

Hi.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I suppose if an instrument is out there I’d rather they allow me to trade it.

Perhaps my question should have been why is it so wide, do T212 determine it, or is it determined by there being a lack of people with sell orders in?

You should tell Kali that story he’ll find it hilarious.

1 Like

Thanks again for the update and other replies.

The market was still open when I bought and the large spread remained till market close, then at close it got even bigger.

1 Like

No problem @Lewdy phil is right that its trending downwards as it recently spiked in price (pump and dump)

As you’re holding a large quantity i’d check the overnight/swap fee to consider how long you’re able to keep it for as monday/tuesday it may see a good spike up in price enabling you to sell (fingers crossed it occurs for you today).

1 Like

So I had a quick look and the price was moving as you bought in. I saw a 13% difference between the closing BUY price and the low SELL. If you caught the 1.525 it would have been 9% spread.

Not sure where the 40% loss would be from?

So you got the 1.685

and the low :grimacing: was 1.477

1 Like

Yeah I wouldn’t be going long on a bleed tbh.

I’m guessing it’ll hit the 200 SMA.

1 Like

Good morning :smile:

i agree, although he wasn’t meaning to purchase that amount so the lost was even greater. stocks are weird so hopefully people will buy in and he’ll sell quickly at a smaller lost, or profit.

Yes but my full account was put into the trade, so with leverage I was liable for shares several x the money I deposited.

So if I sold them all immediately my balance would be -40%

Yes the buy price has been back to or slightly higher than my buy price a couple of times, but the huge spread still puts me at a significant loss.

The spread has stayed the same most of the day, the buy price is “only” about 3% higher than the current stock market price, but the sell price is 7% lower, what gives?

1 Like

Many of us were in a similar situation before because of one mistake or another.

Sometimes the best you can do is accept a loss, of course the less loss the better but you will need to get rid of a bad stock sooner than later.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Some of the high and mighty people who have replied already would never have done anything so stupid so I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who would have.

It’s not so much that I bought a company that I don’t want it’s actually still at around the price I bought it at, the problem is the spread, the buy price is pretty much back to my buy price but the spread plus the fact I’m all in with leverage means I’m still going to be down a load if I sell.

Take the chip off your shoulder. You made a mistake, everyone makes mistakes. It’s how you learn from them what matters.

You came here to talk about spreads to share your story. The spreads are what they are, use CFD don’t use CFD. They will naturally tighten and widen at certain points, and obviously be different depending on the instrument. You could use a broker which offers tighter and then pay a fee instead per transaction. If you do intend to use CFD then it’s recommended to use practice mode for a few months with the same budget you have in real money. Then after wiping out your account a few times and getting consistent returns then play for real.

1 Like

There are a few factors that determine the spread; market cap, share price, liquidity, insider trading, … I believe that brokers are not permitted to make profit by manipulating the spread.
Some brokers offer “fixed spread” but they charge transaction fees.

1 Like