[CFD] Upcoming Increase in Margin Requirements - postponed for 01.12.2020

Anybody else worried Trading 212 is on the verge of going bust?? Chat function not available anymore, huge spreads, now this margin increaseā€¦ they desperately need the cash??? Will try to withdraw my funds tomorrow.

7 Likes

Doing the same and switching to eToro.

1 Like

Got it now! Was mad panicking
Thank so much

Thanks Ciaran,

just to add some info for the less experienced - in reality you donā€™t need to be where you are today with the status %, you just need to be safe (ie >25% status if I remember correctly).

There is a thread somewhere that explains that status calculation, thatā€™s the single most important notion people need to learn in my view.

If my calculations are correct, if your status is around 61% you should be ok with the move of leverage to 1:2 and you should be able to deal with another 9% drop in the market on top of that.

However, people should learn to do their calculations.

2 Likes

Can you extend it a few days to allow for a planned exit instead of a rushed exit/positions auto closing

1 Like

Well essentially its just moving from 1:5 (20%) to 1:2 (50%). So theyā€™re covering 30% less, which you will have to cover.

Indeed. And there is an hour tomorrow where people should close out profitable positions if they want to free up funds.

Cool,

Your positions wonā€™t close until you hit that 25% mark so you have some wriggle room.

1 Like

Iā€™m at 75% now, reckon ill need to sell any positions, when i do calcs i need maybe 50Ā£ more

Multiply by 2.5

ā€¦

1 Like

Can you remember where you saw that?

Itā€™s important to know how long the new margins will remain in place. If itā€™s a few days, I can commit the extra sums. If itā€™s longer, itā€™s time to consider a move to eToro.

2 Likes

You mean you have 75% of you funds available?

Or

Your down at the 25% mark?

on the green bar at the top itā€™s 75%

Thank you for this. Looking at this account, this should be ok?

Searching for the exact formula to calculate, thanks

@David when will the margin be reset to 1:5?

3 Likes

I appreciate your comment and I know the onus isnā€™t on you but do you mind expanding on your calculation of 61%? Itā€™s atrocious behaviour T212 donā€™t look to support their users asking for help with understanding this.

Iā€™m currently on 54% and feel like Iā€™m a mile off being anywhere near safe, so I didnā€™t think the margin gauge was a good yardstick but if that can be used then that simplifies thing.

Sure would be useful having the Ā£780 lost yesterday due to the manipulated spread.

4 Likes

Lots of ā€œIā€™m new to tradingā€ and ā€œI donā€™t know how to calculate the marginā€.

Which begs the question why those people are trading CFDs :roll_eyes::thinking:

10 Likes

Iā€™m following your case, Sly. Manipulated spreads cost me only Ā£30 yesterday, Iā€™m more involved in this for the sake of others. I could have easily been in a very bad spot myself.

2 Likes

Somewhat of a fair observation but there is also less confidence due to abnormal spreads and other variables.

Add profit/loss into the equation and itā€™s added noise.

On my side, the stress T212 has caused me over the past 36 hours has just made me mentally fatigued.

How about T212 supports their clients?

4 Likes

Thanks @Brissles1, how incredibly frustrating has David been?

Unfortunate that this latest development with the leverage change completely overshadows that.