[CFD] Upcoming Increase in Margin Requirements - postponed for 01.12.2020

Zahoorss I would be tempted to liquidate as much as you can that’s in profit. If you have a few instruments that caused that loss and you are confident they can recover, it might be worth closing what you can to keep them open.

Personally I would close all and re evaluate. A £4000 loss now might avoid a much bigger loss down the road. This margin might be further changed or spreads go crazy or worse.

@David Let’s say I’ve got a position with a margin of £1000 on US30 and i’m down £200. Does it mean my margin on that trade will increase to £1500 and my loss will increase to £300?? Or is it only the margin that will be affected and not the amount of profit/loss?

Reid my £34k comment was in response to Zahoorss account. I think you’ll manage to keep positions open which holds onto the profit (I think?).

I would quit while you’re ahead.

1 Like

This is how mine looks so I’m guessing you guys will tell me to close my account and run with the profit before it’s swallowed?

I think we all need to also keep in mind that there is still going to be market activity before this comes into effect. So some position might be profitable by the time this becomes an actual issue.

If my blocked fun is $900 and my free fun is $300.
So is that I need to deposit more than $600 to keep it above 50%?

@Spirica4you The result of the position will not change at all. To cover 1 unit of US 30, you’d generally need $30,000. With 1:100 leverage, you need $300, that is your margin.

Now, let’s say you’ve bought US 30 at $29,000 & have a running profit of $1,000. If the margin requirements were to increase to 50%, the leverage would be 1:2 which means you’d need $15,000 to keep the position open. Since you don’t have it, your position will be closed but the running profit of $1,000 will not change/decrease/disappear, it’ll just materialize.

2 Likes

@Reid Increase in margin requirements will not affect running/open P/L.

1 Like

what is the extreme market conditions ?
the Bill Ackman story is old

1 Like

@David how long is temporarily?

1 Like

can you confirm that this will happen at 15:30 GMT giving us an hour to manage our positions after market open? This is not a typo?

2 Likes

I guess even if it’s only temporary for 1 minute it’s going to mean closure of 80% of my positions, which is annoying as they are all profitable

@Snake I can’t say for certain, hopefully not long.

@trah2 Yes, you’ll have time to adjust your portfolio.

1 Like

I have long positions im up on and dont plan to close, are they able to stay open on current leverage if i have enough funds?

1 Like

If i have a position at 1:5 now will it auto switch to 1:2

@Ben12345 If you wish to keep the positions open, you’ll need to have enough funds to cover the decrease in leverage (1:2).

Sorry for my stupid question. But this also applies to indices? (Dow/Dax) And how much more money i had to invest, if my margin is “695”.

Sorry i don’t speak english naturally.

So even if i have enough funds it will now become 1:2 on all trades open?

@chop It’ll apply only to stocks, nothing else.

1 Like