Classifying securities on 212

Does anyone have a good way of doing this - some other brokers have their own ā€˜oddā€™ sector classifications, and short of scraping exchanges, Iā€™m not sure the best way to get industry sector/sub sectors, etc.

Essentially Iā€™m looking to identify companies, and then (hopefully) easily see their peers.

I will then use this to whittle down and focus my research :face_with_monocle:

I donā€™t just want to google say ā€˜competitors of Microsoftā€™ and so on. Not a company Iā€™m looking at but you get the drift. I would like to apply a more logical approach if possible.

3 Likes

Try https://simplywall.st/

2 Likes

Using a stock screener to sort by the same sector and industry may be your best bet. Using MSFT as an example, you could add ā€œTechnologyā€ and ā€œSoftware - Infrastructureā€ as fields using Yahooā€™s free screener then add any further filters you want like marketcap etc.

As @chantal says, Simply Wall St can be good for this too. Thereā€™s a ā€˜competitorā€™ section on most stock pages but Iā€™ve found it a little hit and miss at times.

My favourite thing about Simply Wall St is this section which gives a visual representation of a portfolioā€™s diversification: