FAQ for Tax in the United Kingdom

Am simply gonna slash my spending for the near future , they can tax the sheet out of my sweat and blood while keeping benefits in line with inflation.

Am done with this country!!!

isnā€™t it reducing from 12,300 to Ā£6000.? not sure where that Ā£12140 came from in Richards post.

Thatā€™s capital gains. Heā€™s talking about income tax.

my mistake, I meant in this post:

he says capital gains will be reduced from Ā£12140 to Ā£6000. instead of Ā£12300

Sorry. Iā€™ve corrected it

2 Likes

Hi all, a question about tax on dividends of UK listed US companies. Now to use 2 examples:

Ferguson
HQ in UK but all operations and most staff in US, and its primary listing is now US stock market. But the UK listed shares I own I get paid dividend by T212 with 0 withholding tax.

Pershing Square Holdings
Registered in Guernsey, but staff and ā€˜operationsā€™ in US. UK listed, no US listing but pay 15% withholding tax on T212.

So what are the rules I can base expected dividends on? For example Somero Enterprises is US operations but only listed in UK. Will this be 0% or 15% withholding tax?

Just curious, as for example I had assumed Pershing Square would be tax free.

I think it is the registration rather than listing that is important.

For example, B&M is 0% stamp duty but 15% Luxembourg withholding tax.

Of the ones you mentioned, which ones have you paid stamp duty on when buying?

Thatā€™s what I thought @Tinvest, but I donā€™t get the Pershing Square holdings one. I thought this wouldnā€™t have any withholding tax. Itā€™s a trust that invests in US companies and I thought that the trust itself would pay withholding tax on the dividends it receives from those companies and the shareholders of the trust wouldnā€™t pay on the dividends received, so that they are only taxed once. I havenā€™t owned shares in any of the three Hbomb examples, and canā€™t be sure that Iā€™ve not missed something.

Registered in Guernsey isnā€™t he?

Sorry should have read up.

According to the Pershing website, yes Guernsey.

Yes this is why interesting, as I believe based on a google FERGUSON PLC who I received no withholding tax is Jersey registered, but Guernsey based Pershing I did get hit with withholding tax. Havent found any clear documentation on these smaller locales and witholding tax treatment for UK based investors.

Dam guys use an ISA its way better no tax at all.

You still pay withholding tax in an ISA

2 Likes

Nope nothing on dividends or anything of the sort from an ISA i can see on HMRCs site.

You are still liable to some foreign taxes for example. The HMRC site only covers UK taxes.

1 Like

Ah ok im only in the UK

What they mean @Tabbyh7 is that there are still some taxes that will be deducted by the country of origin of the payment, in the case above the itā€™s the USA. Withholding tax is still paid.

Even if the UK doesnā€™t charge you any taxes.

Ah ok got you. Thanks

Hi
Thanks for the above information.

I wanted to know how the taxation works for trading in commodities.

Is there specific page to look for please?

thanks

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/edge-unavailable/online-service-unavailable.html?INT.CHDC01

Anyone managed to log on lately?