French Dividend Withholding for RESIDENT

Question related to tax for French dividend companies. I know that T212 charge a 28% withholding on dividends for non-residents as the French government is doing so.

But is it normal that even French residents are also deducted from these 28%? We are supposed to be paid the full dividend amount then we pay our tax at the end of the year to the French government. How can we fix this?

Thank you.

There was discussion previously, maybe it clarify your query.

From my view, it would require T212 to handle some administrative stuff, however not sure if this is in pipe or plan.

https://community.trading212.com/t/total-fp-dividend-question/3818/25?u=vedran

Thanks but it seems the discussion was around non-residents.

My question is for french residents that should receive the full dividend amount without any withholding.

Well I am not expert, but from the person who wrote in detail, I get different opinion.

French dividend withholding tax consists of 2 separate taxes which together come to a total of 30%:
A) an income tax of 12.80% ( impôt sur le revenu )
B) a social contribution tax of 17.20% ( prélèvements sociaux )

Every individual shareholder is liable to pay A regardless of where they reside

However only French tax residents as well as tax residents of countries which are considered non-cooperative by French tax authorities are liable to pay B

Maybe @bob24 could help.

Cheers. :beers: :slight_smile:

OK perfect. I thought taxation was at end of the year. In fact, it is at withholding level.

So now I am confused. Why T212 is withholding 28% instead of 30%? What should I do with the remaining 2%?

Thank you.

That is exactly that. Trading 212 is being charged 28% as it is a non-French entity to which a French company pays a dividend. Note that this rate will decrease to 26,5% in 2021 and 25% in 2020.

From the link shared by bob, I understand that you can claim back the 28% you paid. I am not French myself though, so I’d suggest a quick double-check maybe with the authorities to make sure.