Hedge my shares through the CFD account?

Hey Guys, Would it be a good idea to short some of my shares using the CFD account? I have AirBnB in my investing account and I am down 28%, I started shorting the share every day and closing the trade at market close, overall it has worked as i have had gains of 32% on the short positions, but I think this is a fluke and a bad strategy to use for hedging especially because of the overnight fees and spread.
What do others think ? i think i fluked the AirBnB trades.

1 Like

If you short your shares, how will you make gains?

It’s an inefficient process imo. If it was perfect, without fees, then if your shares dropped in value by 10%, your CFD position would offset.

Unfortunately it’s not - the CFD provider has to make a profit somehow.

Invest long term. And avoid additional fees.

1 Like

Even it it wasn’t a CFD, but a real short - you would still pay interest - it’s inevitable.

I would have said that using the CFD for hedging is an excellent idea, if only this was a forum for professionals.

We are all noobs here, so no - I’d say playing with the CFD account is dangerous, because most likely you don’t have a good idea of what you are doing and the mechanics behind the CFD trade.

In general, yes, but not around here. 6% interests on the margins. IBKR offer margins account for shorting, or CFDs, both at 1.6% (last I checked, may be a little higher now).