How to Prepare for the Upcoming Increase in Margin Requirements

FAQ

• What positions are affected? - The margin changes only apply to stocks. Commodities, Indexes, FOREX, etc. are not affected.
  • Will my Profit/Loss be affected? - No. The value of your Profit/Loss will not be affected, but if any positions are closed as a result of the margin changes then your unrealised Profit/Loss will become a realised Profit/Loss.
  • Will my ACCOUNT VALUE be affected? - No, other than by the usual fluctuation in prices or exchange rates.
  • Will my BLOCKED FUNDS be affected? - Yes.
  • Will my FREE FUNDS be affected? - Yes.
  • Will my MARGIN STATUS (the percentage that causes margin calls at 45% and positions to close at 25%) be affected? - Yes. Your MARGIN STATUS will reduce, which may cause margin calls or positions to close.
  • Will margin calls still happen at 45% and will positions still close at 25%? - Yes, these fixed values are the same for everybody and are not changing. However, as described above, your personal MARGIN STATUS will reduce taking you closer to these limits.
  • When will the margin requirement return to previous levels? - Trading 212 have stated that the change is “temporary” but no specific timescales have been mentioned.
4 Likes