Invest & ISA - Account Funding Conditions Update

What do you mean by misleading ads ?

Iā€™m sure itā€™s a blanket ban or I could say this car is Ā£5000 Iā€™m now going to charge you 5% for a credit card (which is illegal) Iā€™m not sure how it changes for them? Seen as they havenā€™t answered Iā€™m pretty sure they will address the UK independently in the next notification we get about the charges.
I just donā€™t see how they can do it

I wonder, what and how does T212 break anything?

I read the link, rule to prohibit merchants from making money on transaction fees, however it states that it is OK to charge the transaction fee to cover costs. What is not OK is overcharge for profit.

In the vast majority of other circumstances surcharges are capped at the cost to the retailer for processing the payment

1 Like

Ah, think it is only available to UK.

How the rules are changing

The new rules, which will be laid down in law, will mean ALL surcharges are banned. So there will be no charges for paying by debit or credit card, including American Express and linked ways of paying such as PayPal or Apple Pay.

The rules will apply to any UK company which is selling to UK consumers. Weā€™ve asked the Treasury for a full definition of what it considers to be a UK company, and whether it could apply to a company that is not registered in the UK but does have a physical UK base. Weā€™ll update this story when we know more.

Itā€™s worth noting the new rules wonā€™t just apply to the UK. As this law is following an EU directive, companies across the EU will also be banned from charging these extra fees.

Exactly how I read it and tried to say.

Similar to how people try to charge Ā£1 for an item and then charge Ā£20 for postage. Itā€™s like them saying no postage needs to cost maximum how much it really costs

It really isnā€™t referring to these legit fees. Iā€™ve been through many dodgy websites which right before you purchase say thereā€™s a huge transaction fee worth the same as the discount theyā€™re offering :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

This rule is in EU since 2018. And surcharges are not covering costs of transaction.

Check TW they charge fee to use card for top up.

Hopefully this doesnā€™t backfire as companies can charge a service fee as long as they apply to all payment methods so they could just introduce the fee for all methods.

You canā€™t add fees for any payment method regardless of whether it applies to all methods afaik. Those pesky Europeans protecting customers and all thatā€¦

Weird that TW has fee then. No problems.

I havenā€™t read the legislation myself but moneysavingexpert says this is possible.

It looks like in this case the UK law is stronger for consumers in this case as UK law also bans surcharges for payment systems such as PayPal as well as debit/credit cards

Are there any other fees to expect in 2021, please?

1 Like

I had to apply this to my businesses back when it was introduced and it was a clear cut no fees no charges blanket ban, if Iā€™m wrong Iā€™m wrong but Iā€™m sure that Iā€™m not

1 Like

My guess is that perhaps when you are topping up an account i.e. you arenā€™t technically buying a product/service you are merely depositing funds - that this rule doesnā€™t apply?

If not the case then I agree with Lenos, donā€™t see how a fee on just credit/debit cards is permitted having read the various articles produced on the regulation.

1 Like

The B2C surcharge ban applies where:

• the consumerā€™s bank or card issuer and the payment provider of the merchant (i.e., Stripe) are both located in the EEA; and
  • the consumer makes a payment using a debit or credit card, or an EUR payment using direct debit or credit transfer (i.e., a SEPA payment).

Even if the surcharge ban does not apply, the amount of any surcharge imposed cannot exceed the cost incurred by the merchant in accepting the particular payment method.

The scope of the surcharge ban may vary from one country to another ā€“ for example, in the UK, HM Treasury has extended the ban to include B2C payments made by payment cards issued by three-party card schemes, such as Amex, as well as other means of payment, such as non-EUR direct debits, Apple Pay and PayPal ā€“ but weā€™ll continue to monitor the implementation of the surcharge ban (and PSD2) across Europe.

1 Like

Yeah my guess is that this kind of debit/credit card activity is exempt from the chargeā€¦ as of course otherwise a customer could top up with Ā£100k, withdraw Ā£100k and repeat - costing the business thousands of pounds purely for providing a ā€˜virtual walletā€™ of sorts. That would explain why the charge is only the amount needed to cover costs i.e. not exceeding cost incurred by merchant.

Right before the next tax year :sob: :sob: :sob:

Regulations 10.3 and 10.4 appear to allow latitude to charge a fee that is right as an average over payment methods. I am not a lawyer. I expect Trading 212 have taken proper advice and are acting within the regulations.

1 Like

Thatā€™s 4th of Januaryā€¦

lol yes youā€™re right read that in wrong!