Investing for 60+ yrs old

Hi Kevin how are getting an annualised yield of 12% for SUKC? I’m only seeing 7% cumulative for previous 5 years. Would not want you and your brother to fall out. :grimacing:

1 Like

Thanks - That was poor writing
Current yield for the last year is 6.61%
Including dividends.

Thank you, that was an error.
Yield over the last year is 6.61%
Including dividends.

@Blackrat779 welcome to the forum! Like the others I will try to give you a nudge in the right direction (be that in T212 or not) .

The most important questions to answer are:

• Do you need this money in its full in 4-5 years? Or is that more of a general time line that you want additional income during retirement? So define a goal which is mostly dependent on your current financial situation (emergency fund, mismatch between end of work and start retirement, additional short or long term retirement money)
  • How much risk, the chance of your investments returning poorly or even declining in value, do you want to take?

Only you can decide what is fit for your situation but to help you along I would suggest investopedia for any terms or concepts that are finance related.

They also have a nice retiring in 5 years article which might help you along a bit:

Please suggest a fund or two, with the bonds, the dividends, the “cautious” tag, the low risk score, which did ok in the poor years.
As far as I’ve found, they did poorly in the good years, and very poorly in the poor years. 2022, say
It’s ridiculous how many funds go negative, after costs. That’s not cautious conservative wisdom, it’s dang stoopid.
You’d be better off with your money switched to something like short term money market, or taken out and put in a bldg society, or even stuffed under the mattress.

I can find the odd fund, but not ones I would have predicted to have behaved themselves.
Put simply, isn’t it better to make hay when the sun shines, so you have plenty of hay when it doesn’t?

Hi,

I’m in a similar situation to you and getting advice is a tricky process.

May I suggest that you spend a while watching the videos from Pensioncraft. You will learn a lot and may find exactly what you are looking for…

I hope it helps :pray:t2:

I’ve just watched just the introductory video “Are you on Track”.
Seems all jolly good sense, but the fellow says for up to 5 years ahead, use low risk funds, not “crashy” stocks.

Let’s say “low risk” is something like negative 2 to plus 5% p.a.
Crashy stocks this year like the tech sector or parts of the world doing well, have been getting 40%.
India, 56%, semiconductors often higher. Crypto related stocks high. Remember they can have stop-losses applied.

I have a mix of pensions dotted about. Most other than T212 do not allow stop-losses, but I daresay some do. Covid didn’t happen overnight, I “got out” as many others did when the prices started being affected. Others just held on, and it all came back.
In fact you STILL would have been well off with crashy stocks after the Covid “V” notch.

The guy in the video points out that stocks dropped 40% in 2008. Ok that might happen again.
Stop losses were rare back then.
I ask myself, would I have preferred to have had 40% per annum growth in the few years up to that point, or some nice safe investments earning me nothing, or less than inflation?
Funds which , as far as I can see, are not immune from a stock market crash in any case.

I think that because it is a channel aimed squarely at people looking to build their pension funds Ramin is suggesting, as all pension providers would do, that you reduce the risk as you get nearer to your retirement.

Have a browse through the videos for those that discuss his own portfolios, they cover all manner of risk v reward topics.

Hope you find what you’re looking for :pray:t2:

The potential problem with this is if there is. Rash market movement - when do you buy back in (if at all).

Yeah, so bear them in mind.
Breakdown of unguarded stop-losses is real but pretty minor overall. They aren’t a reason to stick to all your investments losing to inflation for years on end, as some DO advocate.

“All pension providers” are motivated to make money, for themselves. It’s easy for them to simply appear prudent, while they take the fees for doing nothing whether your money goes up or down.
How much respect should be paid to institutions which suggest you use funds where you get 2% and they take half in fees, when you’d be far better off with your money in building societies getting 5% with no fees?

1 Like