Islamic/Shariah ETFs

Thanks, @haggis_mince. We’ll consider the idea and I’ll keep you posted.

Or a Sharia section instead?

2 Likes

I don’t know if T212 should be favouring one religion over another. We’ll have to have sections for the Catholic Values ETF if we’re not careful :rofl:

Ooof, come on, you can’t be serious.
You must be aware by now that Islamic finance is a whole dedicated thing? Lots of funds, assets providers and brokers committed to sharia compliant products.

If not, well then, you’re just finding out. Basic idea is two folds; firstly, islamic law is forbidding usure (so charging interests), and secondly, certain types of businesses are not allowed. That lead to a whole parallel finance economy, bridging the gap between rest of the world finance and the sharia.

3 Likes

Oh I’m fully aware. My personal thoughts are these are just another thematic ETF that the provider can ramp up the charges on, but I’ll happily bow out of this thread.

Not really, no. It’s the inherent functioning of business and finance of about 1/3 of the world; and for muslims present around the globe that wish to adhere to their religious beliefs, it is their only way of investing.

Most companies in Middle East, southern Asia and a good chunk of Africa will conduct their business according to the sharia, or at the very least publish report outlining their business practices in respect to the sharia.

Regarding the funds provided, since they themselves have to adhere to islamic law in order to exist, their fees tend to be relatively low.

I see your point, as someone who is not concerned by the whole ordeal, but islamic finance is a much deeper rooted part of our world than these “thematic products” you refer to.

3 Likes

100% This. It’s not a ‘normal’ thematic fund, it’s a specific type of fund that can be sold to a large subset of investors globally.

3 Likes

There are also Sin ETFs. :slight_smile:

(They invest in Alcohol, Gambling, Weapons, Cannabis, etc.)

1 Like

Hi all i’m completely new to trading so hope to learn more on the community pages and learn and understand the lingo.