Islamic/Shariah ETFs

As a muslim I find there is a need to balance between investing in companies which will produce a decent return with the economic and ethical requirements of the religion, such as not investing in companies associated with tobacco, alcohol or weapons.

With individual companies I research them to identify which I can invest in and which I cannot, with ETFs however they can contain such a broad range of stocks that I can’t feasibly check them myself.

However, there are a number of ETFs out their which have been purposely made to always comply with these requirements and thus I can rely on them. Unfortunately not many are available through Trading 212, but having the options made available to use would be fantastic.

Below are a bunch of the ETFs which I hope can eventually be added to the platform (with fractional shares at the same time too :smile:)

• HLAL - Wahed FTSE USA Shariah ETF
  • SPUS - SP Funds S&P 500 Sharia Industry Exclusions ETF
  • SPSK - SP Funds Dow Jones Global Sukuk ETF

A few available but most don’t support fractional shares which if this could be added for them would be amazing (sadly this also almost the entire list of islamic ETFs):

• ISDE - iShares MSCI EM Islamic UCITS ETF USD (Dist)
  • ISUS - iShares MSCI USA Islamic UCITS ETF USD (Dist)
  • ISDU - iShares MSCI USA Islamic UCITS ETF USD (Dist)
  • ISWD - iShares MSCI World Islamic UCITS ETF GBX (Dist)
3 Likes

Investing is for everyone, different people - different choices and interests. If someone created this ETFs it does not matter if they are Islamic or not.
We are all here with the idea of investing in Our own way and everyone is equal as investor.
I hope someone will looked into your request, it is always good to have a good diversification of investments choices.

3 Likes

Unfortunately the first 3 ETFs you suggested are US domiciled and not available for EU retail investors for legal reasons.

You can request UCITS.

Please could you add this ETF, was introduced at start of this year:

1 Like

Hi,

Please add the SPUS ticker.

Kind regards,

Mohammed Ali

Unfortunately it’s not allowed for retail investors in EU/UK to trade or invest in US Domiciled ETFs…

It would be really nice to see this added!

Thanks!!

Please add the following ETF’s

• HLAL - Wahed FTSE USA Shariah ETF
  • SPUS - SP Funds S&P 500 Sharia Industry Exclusions ETF
  • SPSK - SP Funds Dow Jones Global Sukuk ETF

same rules as above, if its a US ETF it cannot be added.

we also don’t have access to NYSEARCA in the first place… please request UCITS versions if you can find them.

Thanks Dao!
Wahed is working on that.
https://campaign.wahedinvest.com/eu_waitlist

How about this UCITS ETF? It’s almost 1 year-old.

T212 already have the GBP and USD versions:

IE00BMYMHS24 - Almalia Sanlam Active Shariah Global Equity UCITS ETF - Acc

1 Like

Hi, could you add Wahed FTSE USA Shariah ETF (HLAL) and the new Wahed Dow Jones Islamic World ETF (UMMA) into Trading212 Invest or ISA? As a Muslim I would appreciate that very much. Please do consider our request.

not possible, these are US ETFs and cannot be added on the US exchanges unless they are PRIIPS compliant.

you need to find and request an EU ETF UCITS equivalent.

1 Like

that’s too technical for me haha, but thanks for explaining. so by that, HLAL is possible?

As Dao explained, NO.

NOTE: Just a couple of posts before yours, someone already asked the same ETFs. Please read previous posts to avoid repeating several times the same questions. Also there is a EU Islamic ETF suggestion.

as RLX said above this post. the Highlight of UMMA specifically was my error, I hit reply and forgot I had searched UMMA in google to find what exchange it was listed on and my reply was to your entire post.

it always helps to use the search feature in the community forum because often it can get you an answer far sooner for a topic that’s already been addressed before. Also, especially the case when posting on an existing topic compared to making a new one, is try to take the time to read all the posts and see if your issue has already been covered in detail as people aren’t often fans of repeating answers so you could end up with no response at all. this way if there is something you need clarification on you can reply to the specific individual and post to seek more information.

we often try to keep topics together in the same place so there isn’t any confusion between different posts with varied answers being scattered all over.

Wahed HLAL FTSE USA is now listed on the platform but not much activity/volume ?

These are issued by Leveraged Shares.

Islamic investing products tend to be a little smaller than non-islamic, but in this case specifically, Leveraged Shares ETPs are absolutely minuscule.

But fear not! Their partner bank acts as a Marker Maker, and will take the other side of your trade if there isn’t enough market liquidity, so you should always be able to buy and sell the product without much worries.

Yes, the product is issued by Leverage Shares, but the underlying product is the Wahed FTSE USA Sharia ETF. This is not part of Leverage Shares’ own lineup of products.

The ETP gives 1:1 exposure to Wahed FTSE USA Sharia ETF and the ETP fee is 0.05% on top of the fee for the US-listed ETF (which is 0.50%). And as Zergui mentioned, there are active market makers providing liquidity throughout the trading day.

1 Like

Probably an idea for @Team212 to add a Shariah Compliant logo on the stocks/ETFs that comply and make it searchable. Nice feature. Not sure I’ve seen any (many) other brokers do that. :+1:

2 Likes