Portfolio - what would you add or take away? šŸ§

Yes but they were killing it before all the sh*t hit the fan. Theyā€™ve had consistency for a long long time.

The term was used in context of the longer timeline. If I just meant the last 3 months, Iā€™d have said SMT were nuking it from orbit. :wink:

Scottish Mortgage Trust - wow! Theyā€™ve probably one of the healthiest charts Iā€™ve seen during this whole pandemic. (Itā€™s not surprise Iā€™m not with them, Iā€™m always a step behind :woman_shrugging:t2:) Iā€™ve seen them mentioned before but as I felt kind of settled in my ETF funds I moved onto something else. Perhaps I shouldnā€™t have.

Question (not financial advice*) just purely asking.
Would one hold SMT is place of another ETF or alongside?

Iā€™m not stuck with any (well ETFā€™s) I have, so always open so improve my portfolio.

I hold two AIM stocks and thatā€™s enough for me and my nerves :disappointed_relieved: both of them drive me a bit crazy.

Thanks all, super useful info as always.

FTSE 100 suddenly makes me think :sauropod: dinosaur. I think Iā€™ll always look at it like my Dino stock.
I donā€™t know why they donā€™t take a leaf out of S&P 500ā€™s approach (not now but eventually) to make it a little fresh and modern? Iā€™m just a novice talking out loud. Surely it needs shaking up.

Perhaps the UK maybe late to the party (like I always am) and be more prominent in the future. It just feels like weā€™re being left behind.

1 Like

Thatā€™s completely up to you. I reckon youā€™ll get contrasting views of this as a strategy and also itā€™ll be dependent on what the markets are doing and what assets the IT holds.

With Index trackers the holdings are pretty self-explanatory; with Investment Trusts the holdings are usually a Google away.

Personally Iā€™d take a combination. Perhaps one or two of each (IT + ETF) but making sure the spread of asset coverage isnā€™t too overlapping.

I love SMT as it covers instruments we donā€™t have access to via 212 and also privately traded firms.

Yes, but is that because weā€™ve gave you that impression? Go dig out the FTSE 250 list and review the companies there - what do you think of them? Are we off-base?

Just giving you a steer because I donā€™t want you going into any decisions based on our opinions. :slight_smile:

It all depends on personal preference/views.

I have invested in BT, Rightmove, IAG and National Grid, and will probably invest more if it goes down more. Also intend to invest in Vodafone, United Utilities, Tesco, AB Foods and SSE.

They arenā€™t all on the FTSE 100, but they are all listed on the LSE main market.

I must admit I donā€™t look at the ETF company list too often, I did when I decided upon the ETFā€™s and route I wanted to go but not since so happy to see in the FTSE 100

Might be small % but technically Iā€™m already invested with them. So in hindsight I feel less dinosaur and more strong and stable like an oak tree! They feel safe. (Well less risky than others)

That works for me though. Iā€™ll always stay invested in the UK and more than likely in these two ETFā€™s as I like them and what they hold but hopefully UK can just get more involved in future growth.

Thatā€™s okay, Iā€™ve rarely jumped into anything too quickly with my money. Iā€™m a Yorkshire lass after all! :shushing_face: we like our shrapnel too much!

I often re-read threads and opinions and info for quite some time after :slightly_smiling_face:

I think the FTSE 250 offers a much broader range (I really like that diversification) rather than FTSE100 which is banks, pharmaceutical, oils etc a seemingly more solid foundation.

@EquityInvestor Iā€™m interested in trip advisor, rightmove and adding more in revolution bars - Iā€™m not even contemplating them right now as Iā€™m convinced come winter the market is going to change dramatically. If it doesnā€™t then Iā€™ll move on without these in my portfolio.
Waiting for right move to drop to 400 ish :crossed_fingers:t2:

Thanks all :slightly_smiling_face:

So helpful, so much knowledge out there!!

1 Like

Isnā€™t the OCF for SMT 0.36%?

I checked their website before investingā€¦

Please see it on the link below:
https://www.bailliegifford.com/en/uk/individual-investors/funds/scottish-mortgage-investment-trust/

Can anyone confirm?

Also, if you are interested in seeing all the holdings of the SMT, they are there. When I last checked a couple of day ago it also included the weighting for each of them, but I cannot seem to get it to display the weightings (%) anymore.

One thing to consider about companies in the FTSE 100, like dinosaurs, they get replaced and refreshed! You may or may not know that the FTSE 100 was reshuffled with easyJet, Carnival, Centrica and Megitt being demoted into the FTSE 250. What I am trying to say is that FTSE 100 is not static and while at the moment they are dominated by oil producers, financial, utilities etc which may give you the impression of dinosaurs, in the future they could be dominated by different exciting sectors based on market capitalisation.

Also the reason people suggested investment in the S&P 500 is that the US makes up around 40 -50% of the worldā€™s stockmarket (let me know if I am wrong in that). So it makes sense to have some of your money in the S&P.

Finally as a counterpoint to other people posting on here. While SMT and IT companies are at the moment doing very well and seem to be popular, I was old enough to remember the Dot.com crash in 2001. When everyone else got excited by Internet companies and valuations were sky high before crashing down again. It could happen again with alot of these companies having sky high valuations. Although things may be different this time. But I do not have a crystal ball to see in the future. No one does which is why I have balanced out the companies that I have bought in the IT sector with ā€œdinosaurā€ shares for piece of mind.

1 Like

I assume youā€™ll be old enough to also know that this had nothing to do with sky high valuations and more to do with none of these companies knowing how to generate any revenues.

Tech of today is completely unlike tech of dotcom era. Tech creates serious revenues and the potential for revenue growth. Itā€™s a totally different era, like comparing apples with oranges.

The FTSE has been a dog index for 15 years.

Itā€™s about 58% iirc at the moment.

How does an ETF charge you? Does it take a cut of your dividend? Does it have a larger spread buy/sell? I donā€™t get them. I mean I understand they are a mixture of shares or commodities traded by a managed fund. But how does it work?

You could Google this :joy:

They take a cut from the fund regularly, it ends up being such a small amount that you donā€™t notice.

1 Like

In a nutshell ETF fees come out of the price of the ETF on a daily basis. You never see it, but itā€™s done like that.

They are so low though, it might as well just be free in the grand scheme of things.
One hourly price move could be the difference of a years worth of fees.

1 Like

It could be true what you said as my memory is not that great :joy: But my overwhelming I mpression was alot of hype with newspaper coverage of people setting up a website then being bought out by companies for millions based on potential earnings/profit/market share.

But I agree that this may be different as the environment has changed with the Internet maturing and almost being seen as a ā€œutilityā€

However I still think some IT sector companies are being overvalued, driven more by sentiment than reasoning. With some not make a profit yet. An example at the top of my head is Mercadolibre.

So I still stand by my assertion to @CeeGee that although I have invested in the IT sector, I have also invested in the FTSE 100 shares even though it is perceived by @CeeGee as a ā€œdinosaurā€

2 Likes

MercadoLibre is profitable unfortunately has been severely hit with the devaluation of the Argentinian and Venezuelan currency.

It also generated 2.3bn in revenue last year, nearly 100% growth over 2018. Launched a payment system Mercado Pago, look at itā€™s usage growth:

download

It has the potential to make serious money and is close to realising that.

This is no dotcom bubble fad.

Itā€™s great that they get shuffled about and thereā€™s some movement otherwise I wouldnā€™t be keen at all. I heard about Tate and Lyle entered too?

I did change my ā€œdinosaurā€ quote and called the FTSE 100 rather an old oak tree. Steady and strong. Rather than extinct :wink: As itā€™s most definitely not. In fact itā€™s been pay day today and Iā€™ve invested more with FTSE 100 and 250. 100% part of my portfolio.

I defiantly agree with the balancing out, perhaps overall I think itā€™s a shame itā€™s such a dominated market with the UK not being forefront.
I do believe weā€™ve good things to offer but it feels thereā€™s bigger fish to fry over the water. Again Iā€™m just a newbie figuring things out.

Iā€™ll stick by FTSE 100 and 250 regardless and hope exciting timeā€™s are ahead.

its 100% staying within my portfolio, not making up 100% that would be crazy

No longer a :sauropod: no offence was intended. I now refer to it as strong and steady like an old oak tree.
Itā€™s purely personal interpretation. I retract the extinct comparison.

Iā€™m invested with them and have bought more today. I stick by them (albeit much lower % than US/emerging and Japan)

My original post was on where people could see it heading as alongside my other ETFā€™s itā€™s been in the red for quite some timeā€¦was just trying to see if thereā€™s a reason for it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Actually I saw your post changing it to an oak tree. I probably got too obsessed with the dinosaur icon :smile:.

Anyway in regards to the reason for the poor performance of the FTSE, in my opinion it is to do with the confidence of the economy and the Government. Starting with Brexit when the country voted Leave, people could see what the economic issues would be in regards to leaving the EU. But hoping that the Government would see that as well and try to negotiate the best deal they can.

But it is almost half way through the end of 2020 there still does not seem to be any firm agreement about a trade deal with the EU. Other people may disagree on this.

Compounding this is the unknown economic impact of the pandemic in the UK. With job losses announced by major companies and the end of furlough in October, we may see more job losses at the end of the year.

All this uncertainty has an effect on the UK stockmarket and perception. As you said before comparisons with other stock markets may give the impression of it being a dinosaur or a strong oak tree :wink:.

However even though it is in the red I am still investing small amounts as I believe it will come good again. The FTSE still have alot of great companies in it and I am using this weakness to top up on these shares.

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s a great depiction of whatā€™s probably happened to it at the moment. Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

I wasnā€™t ever worried itā€™s just that I wanted to try and understand how all the others seem to be doing ā€œokayā€ (though in saying that Japan ETF had a big slide today :woman_shrugging:t2:) and FTSE 100 wasnā€™t. Makes much more sense now.

I bet youā€™ll never look at the FTSE 100 the same way again now :sauropod::deciduous_tree: haha apologies for that.

Have a lovely weekend

1 Like

Late to the party :partying_face:

FTSE 250 performs (a bit) better than FTSE 100 since its inception on 09/2014ā€¦ BUTā€¦ :wink:

All the moves from some US companies can make it change in a not so near futureā€¦ but so far even German DAX has performed better than FTSE 250. :t_rex:

Every ETF that I own is in the red except the Global Aggregate Bond.

I watched a few videos saying bonds were sort of a no go (money unshackled? Although donā€™t watch their vids too much now as they annoy me at bit!) at the moment favouring using that extra cash on companies that were hit hard (buy them low) by the pandemic.

Iā€™m sort of glad I didnā€™t listen too much as with a second wave around the corner (I believe) holding a bond is surely pretty safe? Along side the ETFā€™s (And other bits) that Iā€™m sure will rally after a shocking week.

Does anyone agree this is a good and wise move? Bonds?