Portfolio - what would you add or take away? šŸ§

That probably wonā€™t work with GGP due to the way the market works, with it only operating at set times during the day. By the time you get the alert you would have to buy in the next ā€œset timeā€ at which point the price is likely to stabilise.

If you want to buy ā€œcheapā€ you probably need to have limit buys. They are currently working fine. Initially I had a similar issue to Phil (with buying it on T212) so I also ended up buying my initial chunks at a higher price than it initially was.

1 Like

Ah okay good to know. Thank you.

Is there a way to find itā€™s set times or is this sporadic and changeable daily? At the moment I have time spare to be present but as time moves on this luxury will be less available.

Limit buys it is then :slightly_smiling_face:

If you want to go traditional and safe thatā€™s fine, but incase you are interested in sprinkling in aggressive growth Iā€™ve pretty much narrowed down the 3 best growing ETFā€™s that Iā€™m interested in myself.

This is a 4 year chart

Base - Dow J
Black - Nasdaq Composite
Red - iShares S&P 500 Information Technology
Green - Scottish Mortgage Trust

Now, there is a new ETF that many mentioned on this forum already which was created in September
This is a 3 month chart

Orange - WisdomTree Cloud Computing

There are other potential growers, but I tried to find 3 with not much overlap.
SMT

IITU/IUIT

KLWD/WCLD

Another good grower which isnā€™t Tech is iShares Gold Producers

Hope this helps :smiley: :+1:

4 Likes

It isnā€™t sporadic, you do have to time it right, and a lot depends on the liquidity of the stock. Both Phil and I had trouble getting orders through with GGP back in April. Maybe it isnā€™t as bad now :slight_smile:

"SETSqx (Stock Exchange Electronic Trading Service ā€“ quotes and crosses) is a trading service for securities less liquid than those traded on SETS.

The auction uncrossings are scheduled to take place at 8am, 9am, 11am, 2pm and 4:35pm."

https://www.lseg.com/areas-expertise/our-markets/london-stock-exchange/equities-markets/trading-services/domestic-trading-services/setsqx

2 Likes

Sounds like a limit buy would be easier to get my brain around and less time consuming.

Every day is a learning day :books:

My average was 0.02pšŸ˜‰

1 Like

for GGP? Now I know why youā€™re so happy to see where this road leads. Sit back and relaaaaax.
Iā€™m not jealous at all :lying_face:

1 Like

I sold GGP at 5p and again at 12p for 500% return. Even if it takes off I canā€™t regret locking into some profits.

As for the topic, VanEcks eSports etf seems like a fair choice given the growth of gaming and eSports.

2 Likes

Everyone on their GGP stories - me :unamused:

Jokes Iā€™m fully on the GGP journey now so riding with my 12p average :joy:

If you believe that the tracks lead up then all that matters is being on the train. I got off because gold miners are a bit too much of a rollercoaster for me. Iā€™ll buy again next time itā€™s <2p - ideally in the sub 1p range.

1 Like

You and me both. Weā€™ll have our stories Iā€™m sure.

1 Like

:crossed_fingers:t2: Love a daily dose of optimism, I totally agree.

1 Like

When I set up my portfolio I remember being advised not to pump too much money monthly into the UK ETF rather start with the S&P and % everything out from there.

Just wanted to say thatā€™s been great advise so glad I listened as the FTSE 100 (FTSE 200 coping better) is forever in the red and S&P is always in the green.

Is this because US are able to cope better during this pandemic or British economy really isnā€™t that great?

It is probably because there are more Tech companies in the S&P and investor have had more faith in that index, at least over the lat decade. The FTSE can also be affected by ā€œBrexit newsā€.

Nonetheless, I think that at some point, the FTSE and other ā€œlaggingā€ european indices will grow quicker than the S&P mainly because they have been ā€œleft behindā€. For example, it seems like they have done slightly better in the last couple of months.

Also, European indices have more traditional ā€œvalueā€ stocks such as banks, telecomms, energy companies, instead of ā€œgrowthā€ stocks so whenever the trend reverses and value starts to increase in price more than growth we may see a reverse in the trend and European markets rising more than the indices from the USA. It does not seem to be imminent, but it will probably happen at some point.

1 Like

Interesting. Thank you. I was just curious as to the results Iā€™ve been passively monitoring.Weathering the storm well and truly. Been a great time to start stocks but also super turbulent one.

I also wonder if itā€™s the prospect of winter coming along and the possible spike once again in COVID.

Today is a harsh day out there (metaphorically on the markets)

FTSE 100 is full of very old, usually stable, mature companies in the financial sector, oil, and a few other bits n bobs. Not much growth on them as unless they change their business model they have reached saturation.

FTSE 250 is the growth market for UK, really. Smaller companies that are established but usually still have room for growth before they reach market saturation. Roughly equal to Russell 2000 I guess (not exactly, but for explaining itā€™ll do).

AIM is a mixed bag of goodies, you might get a gem or you might burn yourself.

S&P 500 (and US market in general) has tons of up and coming tech, which has a lot of growth. Especially on Nasdaq, thatā€™s chocked full of tech goodies. NYSE tends to have the more mature companies, but they still seem to find new markets to grow into, unlike the dinosaurs in FTSE 100 who seem to be content with their position and not really making any big moves.

Although there will always be exceptions, this should be the general differences between the indices and the companies tracked by them.

Edit to add: S&P 500 has more of a mix between the mature companies that have reached their saturation point and a good selection of growth. FTSE 100 is lacking in growth as a majority of the index is fully mature companies

2 Likes

Indeed. About this ratio :wink:

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :gem: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :gem: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

2 Likes

Not going to lie, thatā€™s probably a few gems too manyā€¦ :joy::money_with_wings::money_with_wings::money_with_wings::money_with_wings:

This is a worthwhile listen. Scottish Mortgage is killing it (although perhaps donā€™t look at it today!) but Tom Slater confirms here what the guys are saying above. All the innovation (ie. growth) is coming out of US and China currently.

In general thatā€™s fairly depressing as Iā€™d like to think the UK would like to play more of a part in shaping the future. Iā€™m sure weā€™re trying.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not very hard to ā€œkill itā€ these days though. You could have closed your eyes and thrown money anywhere a few months ago and been up 100% now. And Iā€™m saying that as a holder of Scottish Mortgage sToNks!