Pump of the Day

Pump-and-dump is a scheme that attempts to boost the price of a stock through recommendations based on false, misleading, or greatly exaggerated statements.

Not a financial advisor so I might get the article on Investopedia wrong, but there does not seam to be misleading information regarding the short squeeze. There is a 125% float on the stock.

I am only asking as I am trying to better educate myself :man_shrugging:

It was only a matter of time, but the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission said it’s looking into this week’s retail trading fiasco. It will scrutinize brokerage decisions to halt buying that triggered a daytrader revolt, and also warned traders about engaging in illegal schemes to drive up prices. Meanwhile, GameStop and other retail shares resumed their surge after Robinhood and rival platforms loosened restrictions. GameStop recouped much of the $11 billion it lost on Thursday.

In Bloomberg newsletter 29.01.2021.

as far as false statements go, they claim its against short sellers, however shorts are hedged and the people who really lose at the end is the massive crowd of retail investors holding worthless stocks bought at ridiculously pumped up prices. those who initiated the hype and squeeze, will have long since closed their positions.

most of the misleading statements come from people already involved with a financial incentive to get the price to keep rising, some worthy of note were posts made by people on this forum that the price would only keep going up to $1000 and that the short sellers were “evil” et cetera.

and the float is above 100% tallied against real shares sure, but that’s not all that abnormal, and what matters is that once “synthetic” shares are counted, that goes back under 100% by quite a bit.

1 Like

Pump and Dump is on what you wrote.

There are people promoting the Pump so they could cash in the future. How? They bought out-of-the-money options or stocks with low prices and started to promote it, to provoke a higher price, the short or gamma squeeze is the bait to promote the inflation of the stock prices.

This phenomenon isn’t new, it growths in low interest-rates scenarios and generally marks the end of the bull-runs. Examples: Dot.com bubble, Global Financial Crisis.

There are no friends in the markets. Everyone is on this to gain money. :wink:

The big winners so far are:

GameStop executives gained $1.3 billion gain during the frenzy

In Bloomberg newsletter 29.01.2021.

From the link above:

GameStop Corp.’s manic ride is transforming the fortunes of its leaders – at least on paper.

The video-game retailer’s top executives have seen the value of their holdings surge about $1.3 billion in the wake of a Reddit-fueled trading frenzy that has sent GameStop shares soaring more than 1,500% this month, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Chief Executive Officer George Sherman has the biggest holding among the company’s senior employees, with stock awards expected to vest over the next few years that were worth more than $700 million as of 10:45 a.m. in New York. Chief Financial Officer James Bell owns a stake valued at about $170 million, while Chief Customer Officer Frank Hamlin’s is worth more than $120 million.

Some of the awards are tied to the company’s performance, and for executives to realize those payouts, GameStop would need to maintain its frothy share price. The rally has inflated GameStop’s market value to more than $20 billion from $1.3 billion at the end of 2020 even as the retailer’s sales fell 22% in its last fiscal year and the company lost $471 million.

If I were a GameStop executive with stocks, I would start selling some, to cash in some millions while stock prices are high. It’s a normal procedure done by insiders, recently Moderna’s CEO did the same.

It make the prices go down, hurting the existing other shareholders, and helps 2x the short-sellers, the first way is by driving the price down, the second is by providing the short-sellers, the so much need stocks.

I just saw someone on a Seeking Alpha article commentaries stating that the WSB GME’s target price is now $5000!!!

It make me remember that someone recently also said that BTC could reach 100k very soon.

:man_facepalming:
:moneybag:
:fire:

2 Likes

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday suspended trading in more securities that have seen jumps in both prices and trading volumes since late January amid social media interest.

The SEC temporarily suspended trading of Marathon Group Corp, Affinity Beverage Group Inc, and Sylios Corp beginning on Friday and ending on March 4, the SEC said in statements published on its website.

Roaring Kitty has doubleD down on GME.