Quantum Computing Stocks

Hello,
I have been reading about how quantum computers might be the future with some of the big technological companies such as Google, IBM and Microsoft investing in this. I was wondering, does anyone know of any stocks that are maily focused on developing this technology/applying it?
I’d like to research some of the companies that have a large focus on this. I have done some googling but most of the companies that come up seem to be private or the “big tech”. The reason why I’d rather look at a smaller/more focussed company is that if you buy Google or Microsoft you are buying enormous companies, which are not necessarily focused on this.

If all the companies that are focussed on quantum computing are private, then what do you think are the ones that rely the most of them?
I have read that IBM, Nokia, AT&T, Volkswagen, Biogen and Atos have exposure to it, but it seems very hard to evaluate. Some of them seem a bit random.

Thanks.

1 Like

Shouldn’t Google and Microsoft be best equipped to do this if anyone can do? I mean, it’s not like Tesla doing EV which is completely out of the scope of traditional car makers. I think any pure play if there is any is hardly making any revenue and quantum computing is more of a R&D item in big tech firms?

Bit old now perhaps…? Most of the ones you mentioned but Accenture and Baidu worth a look?

Also a list of private firms you might want to cross reference against an upcoming IPOs list…?

2 Likes

Honeywell, which has just joined the Dow to replace Raytheon, is also a player in quantum computing. It would be worth understanding what they do. I already own Honeywell stock, but have not looked into this aspect of their business yet.

2 Likes

Thank you all.

Joey, I had seen that webpage, I guess I’ll also include those 2 companies. The list of private companies that you have listed is more comprehensive than others I had seen. Thanks for sharing it. What web allowed you to search them? Is it your suscription to Stockopedia?
I think it’s a good idea for me to keep an eye out for any of these stocks in case they IPO.

I think what I will do for the time being is do some brief research on the status of the quantum research/development at each of the companies and create a “quantum pie” with weightings dependent on my evaluation of their status. From what I have read the last couple of days it seems like IBM, Google and Honeywell (thanks Richard for pointing it out) may be somewhat ahead of the pack.

If anyone else has anything else to add or knows of any quantum related stocks that are meant to be “IPO-ing” soon, please mention :smiley:.

1 Like

I got the private co list from Crunchbase. I do have a membership so I’m not sure if a search outwith membership would get you the same list.

Taken from this article: https://www.cbinsights.com/research/report/quantum-computing/?utm_source=CB+Insights+Newsletter&utm_campaign=0d78c9a364-newsletter_general_Fri_20200828&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_9dc0513989-0d78c9a364-94527138

Yes, I looked into Rigetti on friday and it seemed like they did an equity raise recently (early 2020), so did the other competitor that I researched (late 2019).

That report might glean a few more firms - I skimmed it for names, nothing more.

1 Like

I just threw some money at DMYI in a spasm of probable portfolio incompetence - the deal isn’t even confirmed yet.
Anyone else been looking at this?