Sale price ***BABA / Alibaba***

Good luck with it and fair play for backing yourself :ok_hand:

I take it you’ve not read the Gensler article?

Sorry, I bottled it. That was a cruel joke

2 Likes

There is phenomenal political risk here but I’m basically praying the CCP will eventually let up flexing their muscle and the old adage ‘be greedy when others are fearful’ will hold up. BABAs fundamentals are still pretty good, though the landscape they are operating in is not.

2 Likes

Again take a step back. How did BABA get to its previous heights - have those fundamentals changed, and has it diversified before (can it do it again).

I think the technical markers are there, it’s just a question of where it will bottom out of you are looking for a good entry point.

1 Like

:point_up: this.
Unfortunately it’s only 7th month into financial year, and I filled my sipp allowance (at least the tax advantageous 24K part) and got like 13K left for ISA. I’m sleeping one eye open for a possible naked option play on BABA which will either make or break my 21/22 FY. so far this is my worst year in two decades with the exception of 2007/2008/2009

That sort of implies, you did not buy the dip :slight_smile:

1 Like

The magnificent relativity of the Dip. :yum:
I remember the sweet time when I thought I bought the dip at 220. :grimacing:

1 Like

well both baba and bili up 7-8% on HKG close today, so expect similar in US market i suppose.

Put Limit order on 130-131$ mark. :stuck_out_tongue: buy the “bottom” :partying_face:

I just replied 3 seconds ago to a private message. Disclaimer I’m bad, like really bad, and not even close to financial advise.

edit: screenshot is for Jan 21, 2022 BABA

Yep seems to been a good day for Chinese shares, my China A shares ETF is up over 2% and VFEM ETF which is heavily Chinese not far off that. My recent buy of BABA was just above $140 as I realy dont see how it gets near $100 (famous last words!!!) so whether its $140/150/120 all good buys for mid/long term.

It worked out well. I’m glad I bought a few shares last night. Now if it could just continue this momentum for another few weeks that would be great!

I have to admit, as I only added some more onto the core holding few days back, on this bump up I sold that same portion today for over 10% gain in several days, not touching my core holding but it has helped to reduce my average cost of core holding through that profit. If we go back down to $140 may well buy back in, I think $170ish will be important level.

Lets see how earnings season goes for all and deploy that cash.

1 Like

Looks like you all might have another pop by the look of the Hong Kong market!

1 Like

I’m not sure you did. Maybe somebody can confirm, but I think T212 operates under a FIFO (First In First Out) model rather than LIFO (Last In First Out). So you might have actually sold the shares at a loss which could be beneficial for you in terms of tax.

It doesn’t matter how 212 records it but your local tax reporting requirements.

If you bought an LSE security at 9am for 100p, and sold the same number of securities at 110p at 10am, I could still say I made a short term 10% trade profit on dipping in/out of the market.

It’s like comparing apples and oranges.

4 Likes

Yeah I am guessing. by the weir profit/loss amount they do something like that. I based it on my own calculations and i hold it all in an ISA so tax has no impact on.

1 Like

I always assumed it was Average Cost.

1 Like

I’m not a tax expert at all but my understanding is timing matters for things like yearly capital gains allowance, and profit and loss. i.e. if HBomb bought 10 shares of BABA in January at 250 dollars, bought 10 shares at the end of September at 140 dollars, and sold the 10 shares this week at 150 dollars, the shares being sold are the ones bought at 250 dollars. So he’s made a loss, not a profit, right? Had it been the other way around, and the 10 shares sold were the ones bought at the end of September, he’d have made a profit, not a loss. In terms of P&L and capital gains tax and allowance, T212’s approach to LIFO/FIFO is important.

Again, not a tax expert, but that was my understanding.

Edit: according to Richard in this thread, average cost is used in the UK so it makes no difference to your tax and wealth. I’m putting on my ‘I’m not from the UK’ hat and claiming ignorance from you UK folk :wink: Ignore everything I said. Selecting stocks to sell by price brought

5 Likes

This is correct. Ireland uses a FIFO system, unlike UK which uses average cost. So if the first lot of shares was bought for 150 and sold for 140 there is a loss, unless the EUR had depreciated significantly against the USD in between times.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/selling-or-disposing-of-shares.aspx

3 Likes

We had a nice learning experience by @Richard.W in here:

It was requested to add FIFO/LIFO method so one can choose based on Country tax rule.

Sadly no feedback.

2 Likes