Stop Loss Order- How To Guide- Trading 212 INVEST

Out of curiosity, are you using the CFD account?

No :slight_smile:, it doesnā€™t matter which account Iā€™m using, It would be great to know if this advanced feature is something T212 would implement. Hmm, no worries, I will open a new post with feature request/suggestion.

1 Like

I understand but Iā€™m only asking because the Invest/ISA accounts are meant for long term investing and the CFD account is geared towards trading, so the mechanics you are looking for might be there already :slight_smile:

I donā€™t know though, as I dont use CFD myself, itā€™s just a thought

I disagree with your point that Invest/ISA are meant for only long term investments (please point me to where it says that it is meant ā€œONLYā€ for long term investments). The reason why I use ISA is because I earn above certain threshold, which means I need to pay a higher CGT on any profits I take. To me ISA makes sense as I can play around with shares without paying CGT on it. 20k is not a lot of money, obviously if I would take this more seriously, I probably would use some other platform. I treat ISA as a savings account, I donā€™t plan to take out any profits, or deposits for a long time.

I agree with you, I too see the advantage of trading on ISA . I was only stating what seems to be the purpose they were created for based on the available mechanics and the differences between the platforms. ISA/Invest seems to be made less with the purpose of trading and more for long term investing (hence the name invest) whereas CFD (based on the mechanics) it functions more as the trading platform. Again, just an observation.

Just as a quick example that I know of-
on CFD you can short, and on Invest/ISA you canā€™t.

2 Likes

No, I am using Invest.

Hi,

I am trying to place a stop loss order like ā€œSTOP ORDERā€. I am asked to enter the number of shares; of this action I have 1.75 actions but when entering the order it allows me to enter only an integer (1,2,3 but not 1.75)). Why?

Fractions are currently possible to buy/sell on market orders only.

@David and T212 team, I read through the thread and I am confused (newbie here).
I want to execute this hypothetical example order using the trading tools in T212:
Lets say the share price is currently $10, and is in an uptrend. I am expecting the share price to dip before another rise, and that is the oppotunity I am after, and I would like to set an order that: buys a certain number of shares at $9.5, and sell them if the price becomes $11, but as a safety net, also sell if the price drops to $8.75. How can I do this?

you canā€™t do it in INVEST and ISA. they donā€™t have OCO orders implemented.
you could only do this on the CFD platform which has its own downsides

Been using t212 practice platform, but seems so unnecessarily complicated to place a straight stock trade with stop loss and take profit, cannot envisage using it for my real tradingā€¦ unless i am missing something of course!
Can anyone help me see things differently please, as i think they offer a good trading package otherwise.

are we ever going to get OCO stop loss and take profit, and trailing stop loss orders, for invest and ISA accounts? feels like this is a rather basic feature that has already been implemented on other areas of the site and would make the experience a lot better for users. plus itā€™s kind of ā€˜offā€™ to deny access to such an important safety feature

2 Likes

This is not a solution, because you cannot sell the stock twice in ISA or Invesment!!
We need a future called attached orders to buy or sell order as in trading 212 CFD or other brokers.

For example:
In the same setupā€¦ You set buy order if stock price is 15.00, set attached orders (stop-loss sell 14.5, take take profit sell 16.5). This is how people manage their profit and risk!

that is a way to manage risk, not the way.

T212 are already looking to eventually expand the order selection, but it hasnā€™t been a priority. If you want to trade with OCO, use an account that offers it. ISA and Invest are not designed around traders, but mid/long-term investors that donā€™t explicitly need advanced orders.

Okay, but still too risky to trade without stop loss setup! Yesterday I bought fewer shares on GME, and guess what I lost half of the money that I put on this stock because it suddenly jumps down from $333 to $187, I didnā€™t even have time to do a sell order, and it may never get back to $333 even after 2 years!

Since mar 2020 till now there are above 35.3K viewers, like and comments on this postā€¦ Does that telling you anything! People really need the stop-loss feature on ISA/Invest accounts!

thatā€™s not a feature fault, thatā€™s a failure to do DD on the stock. also, how many views are on a topic has no relevance to the importance of adding features. there has been a lot of media talk surrounding GME in particular also.

everytime I see this thread, I think the feature is here but then disappointmentā€¦

hi there
when you place a buy order in invest or isa for stocks - why can you not set a stop loss order at the same time?
the is feature is available in cfd but the other accts lack this function and are very basic.
this is what all the us brokers allow, 212 seems very far behind.

Hey :clap:

Thanks for taking the time to write your suggestion. Currently, the feature in question is not in our top priorities.

However, we will pass your proposal, and if something changes in the future, we will let you know.