T212 Search Question

If you do a search on T212 you type in a company to search for, so let us say you type XYZ and brings up a list of companies that have XYZ in their name.
As you scroll down you see the company you were looking for and the shares don’t look too good.
So you carry on scrolling down asd you see that company again, this time the shares look better.
You may see it a few more times all with different prices, so scroll back and forth then you notice little difference like XYX Class A, XYZ Class B or XYZ US, XYZ GB, so they all seem like the same company so which one is best?

Col.

Companies may trade in different markets (NYSE, LSE, …), the stock will have the same price but in different currencies depending on the market.

Class A,B,… and other shares are differnt types of shares by the same company in the same exchange, you can get the information about the different share types from the company’s own website.

1 Like

Thanks Alien,
I did notice that when reading about people who bought some Shell shares, they bought the wrong ones, some had A and B after their name I believe the B shares were the best ones.

Col.

Class A ordinary shares and Class B ordinary shares have identical rights, except related to the dividend access mechanism, which applies only to the Class B ordinary shares.

Dividends paid on Class A ordinary shares have a Dutch source for tax purposes and are subject to Dutch withholding tax (see note 1 - Taxation). It is the expectation and the intention, although there can be no certainty, that holders of Class B ordinary shares will receive dividends via the dividend access mechanism (see note 2 - Dividend Access Mechanism).

Any dividends paid via the dividend access mechanism will have a UK source for Dutch and UK tax purposes; there will be no UK or Dutch withholding tax on such dividends.

1 Like

Clever clogs, pardon the pun lol.
Ah right as you can probably tell I’m a real newbie to all this, I wish I had done this years ago, but I appreciate your wise replies, they will also help others who read these posts I’m sure.
A lot of these things are a minefield to the beginner like me, I’m 72 now so I like things a bit more simple in layman terms.

Col.

As far as I understand it, if you are in the UK, and particularly if you invest through an ISA account, you will be better with class B, as you do not pay Dutch tax on the dividends.

1 Like

Yes I am in the UK, I already have a stocks and shares isa, I did it just over 6 month ago with my bank Santander, I pay in ÂŁ25 a month and it has 10 companies in it, some are the same company but like above under different categories.
Last time I looked it had only made £3.80 in profit, which I thought wasn’t that good, maybe it was the pandemic that is to blame I don’t know.
I do know I can’t yet have another stocks and shares isa till the next 6 months, also I was thinking at my age 5 years is a long time and anything can happen to me health wise, so I was thinking more on short tem like an ordinary share account.

Col.

You can transfer you ISA to T212 this year if you wish, but you will need to sell your shares and transfer the cash.

1 Like

I was looking at doing that, if I did does that mean I have to get another ISA or can I use that cash to invest in a ordinary stocks and shares?

Col.

You don’t transfer yoour cash ISA, you transfer your cash from S&S isa.
This may help

Thank you Alien,

I’ll look in to it, I will wait till tomorrow when the bank opens.

Col.

I phoned Santander and was waiting for an answer that took ages, finally got someone, he had a strong accent plus I could hardly hear him.
After numerous security questions and him talking me through what to do n the website, he then said they would send me a letter which I have to sign and return, this could take up to 3-4 days to arrive.
What pain it was, there is no option online to do all this even though it is confirmed it was me, hate stuff like this.

While I was on the phone waiting to be put through there was a message saying I could use the chat as it would be quicker so I hung up and went on the chat.
I got talking to a guy and explained what I wanted then he said, he couldn’t do that and told me to phone up.
So I then phoned again and that was when I got the above guy with the accent.

Col.