“the maximum remaining quantity for long positions with this instrument is 0”

Currently on IBKR, if you want to short GME, you need to pay double the value in margin, so they practically restricted shorting.

Its absolutely ridiculous. 212 throwing about restrictions when there might be a chance they’ll lose, but if its the customer that loses, then that’s absolutely fine. Used to love this platform but its gone down hill massively. It should be a fair playing field all round, that’s the business they have got themselves in - cant hack it? well then dont operate, simple as that. Dont restrict your customers because they might actually make some money

1 Like

that’s not what is happening nor how it works. You are perfectly within your rights to take your money to another platform to trade, but throwing around such complaints gets you nowhere.

How is that not how it works? It seems clearly obvious it is. They even state this in slightly different wording - “trading212 are putting this in place to better assist their risk management mechanisms” which basically translates to, they dont want to lose money if there seems to be a clear chance they will. Putting a restriction on something when it seems obvious which way the price is going to move is just bad game. How is there even a defense for this?

1 Like

risk management has nothing to do with whether you succeed or not, that’s between you and the market. any winning position can be offset by those with losing positions for the CFD provider. this has been covered multiple times in detail. you not searching for it or believing it doesn’t suddenly put T212 or any other broker/platform at fault.

risk management is enforced by the regulators who tell Trading212 they are not allowed to be too heavily weighted in a small handful of securities or industries, this is protection for the platform and their whole client-base to prevent a crash/market collapse during times of heavy volatility. not just those few who want to open a position. but when too much of the client interest goes to these specific securities and industries then the CFD provider begins to become too heavily weighted. at which point restrictions have to be placed until the interest balances out so they don’t run foul of the regulations.

the list of restrictions is dynamic to match the situation at all times. T212 also faces restrictions placed on them by their intermediary which is beyond their control so quite often people are simply barking up the wrong tree.

suddenly having an issue leads me to assume you found that you couldn’t open a position you wanted and are now upset.

“which basically translates to” - you are putting words in T212’s mouth by using your interpretation of the words as the official declaration. try using the forum search, Trading212 have provided official responses on this topic before.

3 Likes

When I try sell I get message saying The maximum remaining quantity for short positions with this instrument is 0

@Paulc1, welcome to the Community.

I’ve sent you a DM - please check your inbox :mailbox_with_mail: