Tips for Newbies šŸŒ± (starting with Ā£300)

I support numbers like 3-10 for a portfolio primarily to those who are ā€œnewbiesā€ and just starting. itā€™s about human attention span and being able to retain enough information to make critical decisions.

I like Warren Buffetts view, approach stocks like you are buying the company itself to run as a company.

If you donā€™t know which company to buy then dip your fingers in the market (ETFs etc) but usually a short search will turn up who the market leaders of any particular industry or sector happen to be and they tend to be the most common names you will likely have heard of before. ETFs tend to have a few high achievers and a bunch of mediocre that will cause your profits to lag or swing about. though lagging is good during a downtrend, I like to see growth as responsive and pronounced.

if you know the business well enough and you know their customer base you can make a decision. you donā€™t need to perfectly know everything about the company (you arenā€™t actually running it, and few of us will have the education/qualifications to make sense of all the data)

I chose to open a position in Pepsico because I like their product, I know how its received by others and I can visibly see the companies interactions and moral responsibility to environmental and social causes. they own a variety of very popular snack and beverages that will sell (albeit less during these times) consistently through all tides as people seek comfort and familiarity.

I currently lack any real diversification and instead of buying an ETF I would rather buy a position in Berkshire Hathaway instead. putting my money with those who I know are far smarter and savvier than myself.

the above is entirely due to my choice to avoid ETFs and Bonds in my portfolio for the immediate future.

2 Likes

I would recommend to add consistently even small amounts to your position, to diversify early with at least 10-15 stocks (fractional shares make that easier when you begin), donā€™t put money that you might need in the next 6-12 months.

1 Like

Thanks for this. My intention is 5 - with 3 ETFs and 2 stocks. Adding Ā£50 each month. Iā€™m not worried to much about loss as it motivates me to save!

2 Likes

The most simple approach I read: just look around in your house. Which products are you using? What brands do you love or appreciate?

1 Like

I did that and ended up getting Unilever :stuck_out_tongue: sat in the red by Ā£100+ for so long I now just want it to turn green to move my cash to buy more Realty Income and Pepsico before they leave my red entirely xD but I hesitate to because its my only UK stock right now and I am in dire need to up my UK portion as a weight against my US majority (FX rates are making me cry :S)

Hahahahaha :laughing:

:man_shrugging:

itā€™s not a bad stockā€¦ it just has a bad guy in charge right now :roll_eyes:

and the irony isnā€™t lost on me that despite being a major player in the soap industryā€¦ Unilever failed to rope any Covid-19 bull-rushes.

despite cold feet, bought 3 more shares the other day >.> I need to behave LOL

Thatā€™s one of m problems too, I have so little allocated to UK but itā€™s just because so little stocks excite me from here

1 Like

That why I have been diving into hydrogen lately. Cheap stocks with huge potential towards future.

1 Like

Donā€™t listen to advices. Everyone is wrong and everyone is right. You are in the beginning you canā€™t see the difference. You need to survive. Buy ETFs and study. Save money. You need money to make money. And then with experience and skills you will see the bigger picture.

3 Likes

My portfolio is the opposite to @Dao and @CavanHaganInvesting, besides that I am mainly liquid/gold currently, I have only invested in European stocks and my plan for when I actually invest the rest is for only around 10-15% to be US Stocks / US Indices ETFs and about 5-10% Emerging Markets and selected Japanese/South Korean companies.
Lets see how it turns out, its risky business investing but it also is risky waiting. Also, past results say that US stocks grow more than European, but I prefer to invest in European stocks that I can understand and follow more easily.

1 Like

If you want huge gains invest in delta airlines now the stock price is going to go up massively in the next few weeks and months.

2 Likes

you should have told Warren Buffet about thatā€¦ he just sold ALL his positions on Airlines companies :wink: :money_with_wings:

2 Likes

Yes and many people are saying he made a mistake

No one can always make right decisions

2 Likes

Thanks for this - youā€™re right - thereā€™s a wave of info - my current set up is half ETF half stocks.

Forget about which stocks to buy, the really important stuff while you are learning the ropes isā€¦

No more than 10% of your total account into one stock, so Ā£30.

A stop loss where you cap your losses at Ā£3 (10%)

You are going to make bad errors, donā€™t let them be fatal.

Other than that, STUDY and learn about

Support/Resistance
Volume
Trends
RSI

With a bit of luck you can make profitable trades just being smart with knowledge of the above constraints.

Good luck.

2 Likes

ItĀ“s not all about momentum, look at the stock and ā€œvalue itā€ (evaluate) to see if it is at a fair/cheap price or whether it is expensive.
Things that I look at: Its business model (simplified), its debt, its cash, sales trend, margins, basic look at possible growth and competitors, etc.

1 Like

I would add two further metrics.

Is it the best at what it does in its sector?
If not, could you see a future where it is?

If the answer to both of these is no, then I would continue looking.

Got some pretty good return on investing in airline/cruise stocks.