Trading212 - Important Brexit Update

Regulatory Protection: FCAā€™s regulations and protection will continue to apply to your account, but you will no longer be able to benefit from any additional EU regulatory protection.

Am I understanding this right? If the EU regulation about financial markets ā€œget betterā€, I as a non-UK resident, and Trading 212 user wonā€™t get the ā€œbenefitā€?

You are protected by FSCS at 85000GBP, that is larger protection then most EU brokers, it was like this before Brexit, will be like this after Brexit.

Nothing is changing. Period.

T212 has obligatory duty to inform clients on changesā€¦

Thanks for the reassurance, @Vedran. :wink:
I trust T212, itā€™s just that the sentence is formed and articulated in a tricky way: ā€œwonā€™t benefit from any additional protectionā€ that in the first place can send mixed messages.

Will this affect the amount of taxes deducted from dividends? Or is the tax treaty with the UK not part of the EU?

3 Likes

Tax treaties are between individual countries. Brexit has nothing to do with it.

2 Likes

Is the 85000 GBP protection on the free cash only or also on the stocks/etf that you own on Trading212?

If you search ā€œFSCSā€ on this community you will get answer to all your potentially sub questions.

Where did you see this? :man_shrugging:

I got e-mail from IB since I have an account with them.

See below:

Brexit Planning ā€“ Update

Dear Client,

We are writing to provide an update on planning by Interactive Brokers Group (ā€œIBKRā€) and its UK affiliate Interactive Brokers (U.K.) Limited (ā€œIBUKā€) for the end of the Brexit transition period, currently scheduled for 31st December 2020.

As we advised you last month, in order to ensure continuity in the provision of brokerage services to our customers, with minimal disruption and minimal changes, IBKR has taken the following steps:

1. IBKR has established Interactive Brokers Luxembourg SARL (ā€œIBLUXā€), which was licenced in November 2019, but has constraints on the permitted scale of its business.
  2. IBKR has created two additional brokers in the European Union: Interactive Brokers Ireland Limited (ā€œIBIEā€) and Interactive Brokers Central Europe ZRt (ā€œIBCEā€).
  3. IBKR plans to seek permission to transfer your account to one of its EU Brokers, and we will be writing to you shortly to let you know whether your account is eligible for transfer to IBIE, IBLUX or IBCE, and to seek consent for the move.

As explained in our last communication, the licensing process for both IBIE and IBCE is well underway, but it is possible that one or both will not be completed by 31 December. If that is the case, there may be a short period where the transfer of your account from IBUK to one of the IBKR brokers based in the European Union cannot be processed. During the period from 1st January 2021 until the granting of a licence to the relevant IBKR broker (the ā€œDelay Periodā€), we may need to make some changes in the way IBUK conducts business with you.

1. WHAT IS CHANGING AND WHY?

A. If there is a delay, you will engage our services at your own initiative during the Delay Period.

IBUK utilises what is known as a ā€œfinancial services passportā€ or ā€œpassportā€ to offer its services across the European Union. Based on a current assessment of the UK-EU relationship, IBUKā€™s passporting rights are expected to expire at the end of the year. During any potential Delay Period, IBUK will still be able to provide services at your initiation, but every occasion that we do business with you will be in response to a request from you, and not on the basis of an invitation or promotion from us.

B. There could be some limits to the sort of business we will conduct with you during any potential Delay Period.

During any potential Delay Period, you can:

• Execute closing or risk-reducing transactions, as well as cash transactions.

• Enter into new orders in products for which you have previously traded.

• By products, we mean a financial or other instrument that IBUK makes available from
    time to time.
  • For example, if you have previously traded only in equities in your IBUK account, you
    will be able to continue to trade all equities during the Delay Period but would not be
    permitted to commence trading in futures products.
  • Enter into new trades in products for which you have existing permissions, but have not previously traded.
  • For example, if you have previously been granted options trading permission, but have
    not yet actually traded in options, IBUK will execute orders initiated by you, and
    submitted to us for handling, on listed options.

C. There are some other important things to be aware of.

• IBUKā€™s provision of services during any potential Delay Period will be dependent on the local laws and regulations that exist in the jurisdiction in which you are located. It is possible that we may need to make further changes to the arrangements outlined above.

• IBUK is a UK authorised investment firm. IBUK does not have any local physical presence in your jurisdiction and, as discussed above, may no longer have any rights to passport services into your jurisdiction after 31 December 2020. IBUK does not have any other financial services permissions from your local regulator.

• Your account will be migrated to IBIE or IBCE (as applicable) once those brokers have obtained their regulatory license and their ability to passport into the EEA.

2. DO I NEED TO KEEP MY ACCOUNTS WITH IBUK DURING ANY POTENTIAL DELAY PERIOD?

You do not have to transact through IBUK on the basis set out above. Please recall that you are required under our contractual terms to maintain alternative trading arrangements and we encourage you to temporarily rely on those arrangements for any trading activity that IBUK might not be able to service. Additionally, you have the option to move the positions in your account (i.e., your cash, securities and contracts) to another broker outside the Interactive Brokers Group.

However, if you do not choose to move elsewhere, and continue to enter orders through your IBUK account during any Delay Period, we will assume that you understand, acknowledge and agree to do so as set forth above, as requested by you at your own initiative.

3. DO I NEED TO DO ANYTHING NOW?

You do not need to take any action now. We will provide additional information as we learn more. We will also soon be sending a communication asking you to consent to the transfer of your account to one of IBKRā€™s licensed European brokerage entities, as applicable.

If after reading this communication, you have questions or would like to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to contact us.

1 Like

For some reason if I write FSCS on the search bar it doesnā€™t workā€¦nothing comes. If you could you post a link on this I would appreciateā€¦

I think of that amount as such little. If people are expecting to invest in long term with more than that money in mind, whatā€™s the worst case scenario? what even is this protection thought for? if T212 falls?

41 results.

Well there has been several discussions what the protection is for.

In short a lot of bad things have to happen in same time, like IB/bank/t212 going under.

But as I donā€™t concern myself on the subject better use search above mentioned to find relevant information from knowledgeable people.

I think it is a positive development the 85kĀ£, considering the alternative.

Unfortunately this is not like the US where they have 250k insurance.

I didnā€™t get a pop up to confirm this. I thought it would show up on dec 22?

Nevermind i had to update the app in order to see it

No, this means that you will be protected by UK government and regulators, not by EU empire and regulator.

Itā€™s not illegal for EU resident to use financial services from company outside EU. Otherwise would be violation of EU residentā€™s freedom.

I havenā€™t receive this notification yet did anyone know when Iā€™m can receive this or I have to contact with the T212 team

@Lew No action is required on your end. See below:

1 Like

Iā€™m good to go then thank you very much for your reply.

This is not correct. My bank already informed that they will start charging a fee in respect of transfers to the UK

1 Like