A Friday Night Game

Iā€™m glad to see my batshit crazy picks delivered.

Down 3% @Zergui? Dem rookie numbers :laughing:

Yes you would.

( My Long Put Option in ā€œIf onlysā€ has gone up in value :wink: :slight_smile: :wink: )

Youā€™d still have been better off putting your money in a sock, though.

I can shamelessly claim my picks were just examples based on ā€œfameā€ so no intelligent input from me.
Itā€™s going to be harder this weekā€¦ :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: (Very tempting to go BRKA, BRKB,ā€¦)

Yeah, I was wondering where youā€™d come up with those. Was it last weekā€™s WORDLE?

I went for stocks on the volatile side that had earnings due this week with a high chance for positive surprise, i figured it was probably the best criteria for this 4 days competition ahah

TACTICS:1

We all would have done better with a TSL, or a Stop order, placed Sunday. Interesting.

The game : To KEEP IT REAL, I reckon you can be allowed to state that you have set

• A TSL, if you specify the offset. GAPPING will always beat your TSL, and you will sell at the bottom. So no cheaty overnight claims!
  • or a STOP Sale - specify the price. You can change that , but again you have to pre-announce it, unless it hasnā€™t tripped when you announce it.

You can also announce if you SOLD, midweek, as long as :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

• thereā€™s been no change since the price claimed and the announcement.
  • You canā€™t say ā€œoh I sold it at 2pm at its highestā€. That would come under ā€œcheatingā€!
  • If you claim at 3pm that you sold it, you get the 3pm price. Fair?
  • We canā€™t accept that you sold at exactly end of day either, if the price drops in aftermarket or premarket trading.

In Other words, NAH CHEETN!

Stop loss orders and alerts are horribly buggy on this site. I have phone vids of alerts and SL orders truggering when nowhere near the price. I sent one in. Price was quietly inching up at around 2.6xx, and the damned thing tripped at 2.4. About 8 times
Admin claims itā€™s repeatedly gapping, between whatā€™s on the screen as it goes between 2.601, 2.602, 2.603, down to 2.4 and back to exactly the same price plus 0.001 each timeā€¦
As @WakeMeUp said in a post, it gets all better after a couple of minutes.

I still think Monday should be included. I donā€™t see why it should not start at open on Monday.

In many cases we just think ā€œthis is going to rise imminent/soonā€ but have no idea whether thatā€™s tomorrow, the next day, in two daysā€¦ By excluding Monday you are making it extremely difficult because it becomes ā€œa share that will rise over 4 days in the future but not immediately and weā€™ll exclude any rise in trading before that future window startsā€

Thereā€™s one share that I only have a nominal holding in but I now think it might rise significantly this week so Iā€™m going to have to buy on Monday as I can.

Edit: if a professional tip merchants (ie Zacks or Investors Chronicle) give a tip they donā€™t start measuring the performance of a tip based on the price several days after the tip

TACTICS: 2

Announcements of results are interesting but horribly unpredictable. Iā€™ve had mixed results buying ahead. Even when theyā€™re a Surprise above expected, the price can drop. Zacks recently suggests 4, 2 did well and 2 did nothing - good odds. (Does anyone pay for his service?)

What do you guys do for Results Days ??
An Invest platform Buy Stop with Limit order can work, if the price goes up and you guess how much. But if the price spikes up and then tanks down, youā€™re toast.

In the CFD platform you donā€™t have much choice in Order options - itā€™s poor.

Please tell me if Iā€™m wrong.

The only way Iā€™ve consistently had decent results is to sit and watch. Then the siteā€™s so slow it can be difficult. The screen greys out and you canā€™t see - ugh.

Psychologically Iā€™ve found it can feel OK to place a small buy order if it looks hopeful at get-go. Then at least you made a little bit or you didnā€™t lose much, before the trend appears

I explained ā€œWHYā€ already, but put it more diplomatically then.
Itā€™s because what you want would let you CHEAT!
I gave an example.
Good results after close on Friday are announced, but you cannot buy before the open. So to include it wouldnā€™t be fair.

By excluding Monday first thing Iā€™m endeavouring to make it REAL.

You have to measure the value of Zacksā€™ etc tips by whether they come before or after the event!
Allowing Monday would mean it would have to be measured from some point in the day when you COULD buy. 15 minutes after the open? I used a 15 minute chart to measure from, so not too bad.
Is that OK?
If so, you could have suggested it.

By the way, still waiting for an explanation of how you made 50% plus on a day when the stock KMK did bugger all except drop 4.7%!

How on the earth is starting on Monday open cheating. I have no idea now what the open will be for any share or what will happen AFTER open. If somebody know this they would be very rich.

If there has been news released after close on Friday then it will gap up and thus the open will be higher so using the open price does not wrongly include the gap or or pre- market trading. If you exclude Monday then I have to think of shares where there is little chance of a rise on Monday or overnight Monday or pre-open on Tuesday but will then rise after Tuesday open.

Read what I actually said about KMK. It rose 25% last week. Monday open was 6.1 and the high last week was 7.5. What I clearly said is that combined with the 20% rise on Friday gave me a 50% profit which I was happy with because I bought at 5p exactly and sold at over 7p

excluding Monday effective means no tips for companies with news on Monday or after close on Monday because they would all be factored into the Tuesday open price and chances are it may then (or later in the week) start to pull back from any rise. Thus you want to exclude any tips of companies with Monday or pre-market Tue news

If you want to keep it real, why donā€™t we all start with say $10, and see who can turn it into the most, or is the last one standing so to speak :wink:

1 Like

Haha Iā€™ll leave it as cash and get the interest at least Iā€™ll stand a chance :slight_smile:

I have already answered that.
As I have already said, you can make a suggestion which addresses the difficulties you perceive.
I have suggested one.
But Address the reason I gave - to stop anyone cheating. By all means come up with a better solution, as long as there cannot be evaluation including unavailable hindsight.
As far as I can see, the ā€œstart at 15 minutes after opening on Mondayā€ suggestion answers that.

You can not seriously expect whoever does the arithmetic at the end of the week to go back and pick some random time to suit YOU!

No, the scheme as original, did not exclude predictions for the Tuesday opening price, because effectively buying was occuring during Monday, and measured from end of Monday. Think it through again?

Well the immediate answer is that @topher would probably object, having been have been wiped out on one of his.

By all means, we can do the sums, but weā€™d better let @topher start again!

So we all start with Ā£10, and youā€™re dead when you have less than 1cent?
Weā€™d better stick to whole cents! 1.9 cents = 1 cent, 0.9 cents = dead.

Weā€™ll need to do the numbers to work out the weekly, um, adjustments, so thereā€™s that part still.

Good thought, I like it!

Fair enough?

Cheating haha - I thought that this was simply a fun way to share tips and views about companies and if a company released news on Friday that people think will impact the share price on Monday and throughout the week then I would prefer to know about it. I simply canā€™t understand the idea that using Monday open is cheating. The idea that it is, is mind boggling to me. In one of your other posts above you say that even knowing what the results of a company are you have no idea whether the price will rise or fall or fall and then recoverā€¦ If there was news on Friday it will already be accounted for in the Monday open price so where is the cheating and as I say I thought this was a friendly way to share ideas and tips. If somebody was so outrageous to cheat in this manner and gain such a horrendous advantage (and advantage open to all) then it would be easy to flag in the end of week summary.

I would much prefer to know about shares that may rise on Monday then try to guess the shares unlikely to rise on Monday but then likely to rise after Tuesday open.

Maybe to stop this cheating we should have mandatory caffeine testing :slight_smile: donā€™t want any hint of advantage when sharing tips on a friendly forum

You ask for a ā€œbetter solutionā€ but a solution assumes a problem and I simply donā€™t see the problem.

To be honest I did think this was some friendly banter not some die-hard challenge so simplest I just withdraw and watch the battle from the sidelines

Then I suggest you think harder - itā€™s not hard!
Nobody can buy for the Monday opening, but may know what is going to happen, if the results have already been released. You canā€™t include it because itā€™s unrealistic. What price would you want to start from on the Monday - we couldnā€™t use the opening price, itā€™s unavailable unless you bought the day before.

The one I quoted, AMC I think, had gone up 50% in post market trading Friday night, so it wouldnā€™t have been fair to have included that, would it?
I saw it myself, but was unable to make much use of it; on opening it gapped or went up almost immediately to +50%, too quickly to buy reliably on the day. A pre-market order might have yielded you the stock at +70%, from which youā€™d only lose.
I have before put in sensible opening orders at various prices - thereā€™s no telling what youā€™re going to get, if anything. Impossible for the game.
There is no fair price. Itā€™s not practical.
Iā€™m just donā€™t see why you canā€™t see it.

My observations about UNKNOWN results releases is different, itā€™s nothing like KNOWN releases. If that boggles youā€¦ ?? Think harder!
ONE same aspect though, is the same - you canā€™t buy it at opening price on the day. That doesnā€™t mean ALL aspects are the same, though.

If you misunderstand, please read again.
If you do understand, but think itā€™s ok to use an unrealistic situation, tough, you canā€™t in this game. I donā€™t see the point of a game where you can go back in time.

One canā€™t design anything by criticism and misundertanding.

The 15-minute-after opening suggestion satisfies my concern.
Did you read it?
Did you understand it?
Whatā€™s the problem?

Edit - would it satisfy you if you were allowed to buy at the peak at opening on Monday?

omg I am really not interesting in continuing this discussion. After this comment Iā€™ll just simply not bother. I thought this was some friendly banter and a nice way to share some ideas and tips. Does it matter if I can frantically get an order in on Monday.

In terms of AMC I really really really donā€™t get why you are so animated about this. If you mean AMC Entertainment, trading view isnā€™t showing that they released results but the price did spike up on the 24th July. So lets look at this since you think this would be such a clear-cut example of unscrupulous cheating. Friday the close was 4.4 and I assume some news was released after the close. That news had the weekend to sink in so the shares opened (according to trading view) at 5.84. So how is starting the weekly challenge at the open of 5.84 cheating it clearly reflects the news. So then what happened which would be so disastrous to a friendly sharing of tips. On Monday the price shot up, shot down and closed at an eye-watering 5.85 (so below where it started the day so using the Monday open would clearly have been extremely unfair [sarcasm]). Tuesday open was 5.36. The friday close was 4.64. So having looked at the example that you give, using tuesday open would have been a loss and using monday open would have been an even bigger loss. Where is the cheating?

I think this issue stems from a difference in perspective. Iā€™m viewing as fun banter and a way to share ideas and perhaps make the community more lively. You seem to be viewing it as a way of dashing into the market on monday morning with orders (maybe Iā€™m wrong). To be honest if someone did tip AMC and you rushed in as you suggest on Monday with orders then you would have made a loss over the week.

As I say the opening price already usually accounts for any news released since the previous close. Thus I really cannot see how using the open price can be considered cheating and youā€™re own example of AMC bears this out.

You keep referring to ā€œgoing back in timeā€. Where have I suggested this. I have simply said that suggestions are given over the weekend and you use Monday opening price as the start and Friday closing price as the finish. Thatā€™s simple. Its clear. And nowhere does it suggest going back in time. I suspect you are confusing two completely separate comments. I did question what happens with a situation where you foresee that a price may rise strongly but then fall back at the end of the week. To be honest I donā€™t care Iā€™m so exhausted about the Monday open debate Iā€™m not interested

You illustrate the point - What price would you have wanted to use if it had been in the game?
You wouldnā€™t have been happy with 6.23.

Yes it was meant to be a simple bit of fun and looking at othersā€™ ideas, knowing that the suggestions were buyable and determinable.
All youā€™ve given is whinge whinge, criticism, false arguments and failure to see understand and acknowledge a simple couple of points.
Nothing constructive.
I originally thought to use the weekly-gain numbers reported for each instrument, but that would have INCLUDED Mondayā€™s unavailable gap rise so I removed Monday. Simple.

In practice if youā€™d pre-bought on open market youā€™d have got somewhere around 7 I expect. Best actual, perhaps about 5. But if the price had gone up and up, instead of down, it would have been just about impossible to say what price you would have got. If the price had been one of the up and up ones, the free market open price can be astronomical.
I could cite an example if you canā€™t understand that.

I repeat, would you accept the peak opening price?
If so, I repeat, then you should have suggested it.

I have no idea what chart you are showing because no chart of AMC that Iā€™ve looked at has a candlestick going from 4.4 to 5.71.

I made a simple suggestion of using Monday open because the original proposal was to ignore Monday completely and use Tuesday opening price. I thought my suggestion of using Monday opening price was simple and reasonable and all Iā€™ve done is try to explain that and answer your comments. I thought that using Tuesday opening price had numerous issues.

I donā€™t need to give other solutions and it doesnā€™t need endlessly complex suggestions of using a price 15 minutes after open or some peak priceā€¦ Your concern was that using Monday opening price meant that people would ā€œcheatā€ and search the internet for companies that had released news after close on Friday and suggest those because doing so was a guaranteed way of ensuring that the following Friday close was higher than the Monday open. Iā€™ve simply shown thatā€™s not true and lots of people would be driving around in a Ferrari if it was. Fundamentally I donā€™t care if people did ā€œcheatā€ and post companies that had released news on the friday. I donā€™t think thatā€™s any guarantee of the shares being up by the following friday (compared to Monday open). I donā€™t think it is cheating (in the context of a friendly sharing of tips). Also I would like to know if someone thinks that news would result in a sustained rise over the week.

I do agree that using weekly-gain figures would not be a particular good idea because, as youā€™ve said, it would inherently include any change between Friday close and Monday open.

Whether or not I could buy on Monday at exactly the Monday opening price isnā€™t something I care about. In the case of AMC, I think it closed Monday 0.01 different to the opening price so reality is that I could have bought it higher, lower and at the opening price sometime during Monday but I really donā€™t care in the context of sharing tips and having a friendly challenge.

Anyway, all the best and bye

ā€œMonday openā€ isnā€™t available. A figure for Monday open depends what candle you look at/have available. Which you have evidently found out, now. The candles I cited (where you couldnā€™t be bothered) presumably werenā€™t the same timing as yours. There you go!
The figure routinely quoted for the day rise is in effect from Friday close, unless Iā€™m mistaken, in which case I apologise. The figures you see for the daily rise, weekly rise, include the gap. Including the gap I judge as unfair, and invalid as itā€™s unavailable. I only saw an ā€œanswerā€ that just said you didnā€™t see why, no attempt at understanding.

You started saying you wanted Monday included. Now youā€™re saying Monday open is some other number than the bottom of the gap, which you have, still, failed to specify. You answered nothing, just that you didnā€™t understand.

Nothing constructive.

I think you got yourself into a paddy over it, it would have been easy face-to face.
Iā€™ll stick up a new set of ā€œrulesā€ which youā€™re welcome to use, comment on and go along with, or not. Up to you.

Others may still have suggestions?