An honest and critical review

We also forgot to take into account the dividend withholding taxes, possible stamp duty/transaction taxes, spreads, adr fees, fx changes themselves. But shhhhhhh nobody has to know :zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

just had a call with Schwab, I was told that they donā€™t support opening accounts in the Netherlands :slightly_frowning_face:

Guess Iā€™m not done making fee calculations

1 Like

Life is simple, why complicate it too much?

Just to change lanes a bit; Whats everyones feelings on recent IBKR incidents? If they continue I think it will taint my mostly positive opinion of T212.

Most recent incident is Roblox not being available on time thanks to a IBKR failure. But several other problems have occurred in the past too.
Iā€™m actually feeling pretty anxious about T212 now because while I genuinely enjoy using this service, I just cant shake this feeling thereā€™s gonna be some stock iā€™m gonna lose out on thanks to yet another failure, and it would be my fault for not changing ISA accounts this April.

A good example would be Starlink. We all know thats gonna be a super hyped stock and release day will be quite the epic event. But what if IBKR screws up yet again?
Obviously these issues arenā€™t exactly T212ā€™s fault; but at the end of the day T212 chose to have this intermediary.

Over the past several months of IBKR incidents that I recall, the only answers we get are ā€œweā€™ve raised an issue with IBKR to resolve thisā€. Which to be honest I donā€™t feel is good enough. Instead I would love to see concrete solutions to stop this from happening in the future.
Second intermediary as backup? go to someone else entirely? Cut out the middle man and do it all themselves?
I have no idea how it all works obviously but I have no doubt there is a solution out there.

If T212 staff could say to me:
ā€œHey Greyze, we guarantee that when Starlink IPOs youā€™ll be able to trade it day one just like the rest of the world canā€.

I will happily delete this post. But until then iā€™m just going to be quizzing myself on what to do come April :confused:

1 Like

Its probably down to the ā€œyou get what you pay forā€, and right now our service is reliant on three parties. The users, 212 and IB.

Itā€™s certainly complicated, IB have certain obligations they are required to meet as part of any contract T212 may have signed with them and as general clients, we donā€™t know any of those details or if IB placed provisions in that contract covering the various issues we have experienced this last year. (like how my internet provider can get away with giving me crap connection every other day because they would only have to reimburse my monthly fee if its down for 3 consecutive days without any uptime in between.)

If IB have failed to meet their obligations, that could possibly work in T212ā€™s favour. come renewal time, they can re-examine whether or not IB is still the best service to sign with. But itā€™s possible that these occurrences were covered somewhere and as a result T212 have just had to accept that nothing can be done and they may need to evaluate if there even is another provider who can give them everything IB currently does and maybe a bit more.

T212 have been doing well all things considered, but I doubt they are quite ready enough to start going it alone. As cool as that would be to see.

:eyes:

I just want to get the lowest fees possible for my situation, and every euro counts!

But I think this topic was getting a bit away from its initial idea so letā€™s leave that fx fee behind us for now as it was more about the general experience and future that lays ahead of us

1 Like

I think that the reputation damage for any failure would outweigh whatever benefit T212 could get from it short term.

1 Like

Itā€™s a bit disingenuous to look at this interview without adding the context of 212ā€™s growth. They could not have predicted the last 18 months at all. They had no clue any of this was going to happen and have had to be wholly reactionary - all whilst working largely remotely. So this video means nothing really.

So Iā€™m looking this from the other side. I want to invest in 212. Iā€™m seeing probable low gross margins, high staffing costs, absorbing customer costs, high training costs, high dev costs, rapidly increasing infrastructure costs and a rapid increase in users.

Youā€™d look at 212 and think they were busy fools, not maximising the returns they should be making on the customers, essentially a giant cash burn. They had to address this.

Or we could change the topic, and perhaps start a petition at something more meaningful. Like when Kraft took over Cadburyā€™s, changed the chocolate used in a Cadburyā€™s creme egg so its no longer Dairy milk chocolate.

To make it worse, they now sell creme eggs in packs of 5/10, when eggs come in 6/12.

Total madness!!!

5 Likes

That is your view, I respect it but canā€™t agree with it.
You can introduce fees in many different ways and formats. Everyone should be paid for their work/services, that goes without saying.

To add premium services with a fee would make all the sense and still ease the pain caused by growth.
After all this fee is not to cover fx conversion costs incurred by t212.
What does not make sense is to change the rules of the game half way, for those already playing it without offering a reasonable solution that is not take it or leave. This is not an Internet or TV subscription service that you can just cancel.
You canā€™t change the currency in your account, transfer of portfolio is not available and multicurrency accounts, well this one forget about it, specially nor that you have this fx spread.

1 Like

So why donā€™t we consider that this premium service that youā€™re okay with is to buy stocks in different currency from the one of your account? I donā€™t really get it when people say that theyā€™re cool with subscription fee, but blaming all about that fxšŸ¤Ŗ

My point of view: if you hate that much a company, well just F them and off to the next one. They never offered transfers out so why youā€™re blaming them now? Its not like we got locked out of the blue lol

No offense bro @Caricp

2 Likes

Not only are there now 5 in a box, the egg itself also weighs less!

Itā€™s outrageous

2 Likes

No offense by this, but unless you were in the market since they first opened there is no such thing as ā€œchange the rules of the game half wayā€.

This is not a game, and the ā€˜rulesā€™ explicitly state that they can change at any time and you agree to that when making an account and taking part, just as you agree to follow the law in life that constantly changes and you have no option to opt out.

However you can cancel, by moving to another broker who offers different rates. The only thing a broker needs to offer, is a barrier-free exit, this does not mean they have to transfer your portfolio, it only means they need to allow you to remove your funds.

Regulations and feeā€™s associated with the stock market have been changing since the day the first exchange opened its doors for the first time.

If changes werenā€™t applied to all equally, those who have been around for far longer would be bound by archaic rules that may unfairly help/hinder their chances for growth when compared to those who join later.

The first area I checked on the terms of business contract before accepting T212 services (DD) were the options on closing down my assets!, itā€™s very simple & I re-read that sucker multiple times -

> 13.13. Trading 212 will not facilitate the transfer of Investments to another firm. The Investments held in your account will need to be liquidated and cash can be transferred to another firm. Similarly, any Investments held with another firm cannot be transferred to your account with Trading 212 but cash can be transferred instead. Investments cannot be put into certificate form and mailed. Liquidations of Investments may result in additional charges imposed by third parties (this can include, but not limited to government fees and levies, bank charges, etc.)

Small blob of text from me on the topic.

Only ever problem I see with this ā€œchangeā€ is that it just proves how today environment is unreliable.

To simplify, investor who started account at T212, made choice based on existing information, which is free FX, great rates.

So his pick was local currency or EUR. Because he will anyway get free access to USD.

So this is a long term plan(strategy). Made based on existing circumstances.

Now with introduction of this changes, I wonā€™t call it fee, because in essence it is not an issue, the platform(or rather its PR team) became unreliable source of truth for any long term planning.

Basically we are now stuck with our original choice of currency made based on past terms, which are now changed.

Fine, but that makes one think, how many more abrupt changes will affect the long term investor?

Because in existing scenario with FX, if investor knew there was fee. Maybe he would used external party to do conversion to currency he invests most in?

Anyway, point I am trying to make.

Most investor or investment money is looking for stabile environment, T212 with recent changes is just proving the opposite, that we are entering stormy waters, with no sun on horizon.

When checking all T212 official communication, clear messages were ā€œno feeā€™sā€, even thought some donā€™t consider this a fee. Call it what you wish, fact remains, nothing which is stated by 212 is now guaranteed. They can do 180Ā° or U turn anyday without any explanation or reason (Their full right).

Cheers

15 Likes

Hi @Dao thank you for your comment. No offense taken. I do appreciate that other people have a different opinion, I think this is the main objective of this forum.

Just to clarify I do intend to continue with T212, at least for the moment and taking a more careful approach by decreasing significantly the montlhly deposits and by increasing the use of other brokers.

I understand what you argue, it makes perfect sense from a pure legal point of view and I do not dispute that. What you say is available info from start as it was their promises to clients. Even if life is not made up purely of rules and regulations .

As for the expression I used of changing the rules of the game, I am not a native English speaker and I used it just as that, as an expression. I take long term investment and my hard earn money very seriously.

What I am tryimg to say ( and I am sorry that it seems some people are missing my point) is that as a client, my expectations and trust (created by t212) of a totally free platform arenā€™t there any more while no meanfully alternative to keep this initial promise is made available

Can I leave t212 and recuperate my funds ? Yes, I can, I have never put that into question. However this extreme option has significant impacts being the main having to pay, in one fiscal year, capital gain tax that can reach 40%, as in my country I have to add capital gain to all my other revenue.

Have a great weelend :+1:

@Vedran I agree with you.

that is exactly the point I was trying to make. It is not about their legal ability to introduce the fee its about expectations and stability going forward.

T212 looks so promising. Itā€™s a shame that basic features all brokers have are lacking. Basic tax info statements with dividend information, transfer stocks in and out etc.

They are creating new features all the time for pies that I canā€™t use. Imagine having to deal with 30 stock dividends in one pie, it would be a tax report nightmare.

Maybe their data show that 80% of users are UK ISA users or something so they donā€™t care, I donā€™t know.

For the time being I try to use T212 for ETF investing which is clean, no withheld tax to report etc.

I canā€™t tell if they are planning to fix those basic features any time soon, opening another account somewhere else for stock picking/investing crosses my mind.